Thread: Steve Roach in Echoes Podcast

Steve Roach in Echoes Podcast

Take a trip through the world of Steve Roach in the Echoes Podcast. He talks about the fluid timeline of his music from retro modular synth strategies and the return of Ambient-Tribal music. Get here or the free Echoes App. https://wp.me/p4ZE0X-hg1

Knowing how prolific Steve is, I'll bet he could record a new album while doing the interview!

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Knowing how prolific Steve is, I'll bet he could record a new album while doing the interview!
    LOL! Whenever I interview him we talk about his latest and by the time the interview comes out a few weeks later, there's always something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
    LOL! Whenever I interview him we talk about his latest and by the time the interview comes out a few weeks later, there's always something new.
    Isn't he such a nice guy? I have played with him (hand drums) in a concert and have chatted with him in our local musical instrument store. He is always so kind and chatty.

And yes, he certainly is prolific.

I tend to think it's quality over quantity and some of his earlier releases still sound miraculously fresh and exciting (Origins, Structures from Silence, The Magnificent Void, World's Edge, Kiva etc) but I am kinda lost in his latest output and cannot tell one album from another. Not an autobuy for me for quite a while (I started as Roach completist, trying to get my hands on every solo release or collaboration. Through this, my wife has become a big fan of his music, especially Rich/Roach albums - Strata and Soma).
    Currently I have 71 of his solo/collab albums in my collection plus 2 Suspended Memories releases, so 73 in total. Many of these are essential listening for every serious electronic music fan.
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Banned
    Azol:
    I tend to think it's quality over quantity and some of his earlier releases still sound miraculously fresh and exciting (Origins, Structures from Silence, The Magnificent Void, World's Edge, Kiva etc) but I am kinda lost in his latest output and cannot tell one album from another. Not an autobuy for me for quite a while (I started as Roach completist, trying to get my hands on every solo release or collaboration.

I liked early releases "Traveler" and "Structures" and also thought that the 2 CD "Well Of Souls" with Vidna Obmana was one of his better collaborative efforts. Kiva was alright with the tribal accents.

Have you checked out his latest "Stillpoint" release, with two cuts each over an hour in length? I am sort of intrigued by it but not certain about his newer stuff, based on your comments and others that I have read.

No question that Steve's '80s albums are his best.

Now
    Quiet Music
    Traveler
    Structures from Silence
    Empetus
    Stormwarning
    Dreamtime Return

You have to have those, at least. Other good ones: Artifact, Origin, The Magnificent Void, Body Electric (with Vir Unis), Proof Positive (like Empetus, kind of).

But, yes, everything else sounds like it rolled off the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Azol View Post
    Currently I have 71 of his solo/collab albums in my collection plus 2 Suspended Memories releases, so 73 in total. Many of these are essential listening for every serious electronic music fan.
    Thou art braver than I! For me, things haven't been the same since the '90s, but I still check out what he's doing.