Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zopp: New Canterbury on the way from Bad Elephant Music

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Hey I like it!!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I think its good, but not great (yet). There is obviously plenty of talent where that came from. If they find a little more of an own face then can expect perhaps great things in the future. I am very curious what happens next.

Just found this interview with Ryan Stevenson: http://progressiverockcentral.com/20...ensation-zopp/

Fun fact, my dad’s favorite record of all time is The Rotters’ Club, so I have him to thank; thanks dad!

I ordered the CD on Bandcamp, so will hopefully listen to the album via the app today while working from home.

folks in the USA wanting physical copies: We should have them sometime next week.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    folks in the USA wanting physical copies: We should have them sometime next week.
    Dang it. Wish I'd waited.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Dang it. Wish I'd waited.
    Me too! I never know what's going to be stocked domestically anymore, so I jump on what I like figuring the CDs will go OOP quickly. Oh well.

Bill

Got this yesterday and have spun it three times. Hold freakin' crap, I love it! Yeah, it hearkens to a lot of familiar territory, but man do they ever deliver some strong compositions here! A solid and engaging listen from start to finish. I couldn't ask for more. I'd rate this album among the progenitors of the style. A total winner for me!

Bill

I heard a track on Progrock.com yesterday. Caught my attention. I'm going to buy it now.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Fantastic album. Really enjoying this one.
    <sig out of order>

Banned
    Nice stuff and reminiscent of the golden age of Canterbury for sure! I'm in ...but still not at Wayside yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Nice stuff and reminiscent of the golden age of Canterbury for sure! I'm in ...but still not at Wayside yet?
    Came and went buddha-buddy. You must've missed it; it was here for about 15 days. Back in a few weeks.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

definitely one of the early 2020 release for sure

ordered via BC

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I am not so excited about this one. It really does not bring much new to table and I don't like its sterile "home-studio" sound. Drummer is also too heavy-handed.
    The album ends much better than it starts, IMHO
    Last edited by Trane; 05-01-2020 at 12:09 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Came and went buddha-buddy. You must've missed it; it was here for about 15 days. Back in a few weeks.
    ooops, late the party. Thanks for the info, maybe I'll hold off on my order for a little while then. Well nice that it's selling on some level anyway!

I am not so excited about this one. It really does not bring much new to table and I don't like its sterile "home-studio" sound. Drummer is also too heavy-handed.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Fantastic album. Really enjoying this one.
    Yeah, it hasn't left my stack of CDs in rotation. Every time I play it, I hear something new and like it more. It's really quite taken me by surprise, I didn't expect to like it so much.

Well, to each their own. I haven't noticed either of these things. My focus has been on the infectious melodies and compositions that take really interesting twists and turns.

I do see where you're coming from with "nothing new." That in and of itself has never been a big deal to me. I tend to like thing that are creative within certain defined bounds. To me, this sounds like a lost Canterbury album from the 70s, and it's not so much the "newness" but the "Canterburyness" of it that gets me jazzed. Also, since even "Canterbury" covers a pretty wide swath, Zopp just seems to hone in on those aspects of the sound that I like the best. For me, it does that "chops in service of great tunes/melodies" thing perfectly, without a lot of improv/wanking or the interference of too-precious vocals to distract from the meaty bits.

Anyway, not everything is for everybody, but maybe my reasoning will help open if up for you a bit. If not, no biggie!

Bill

One of the things I like about it the pristine (aka sterile) sound.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

I do see where you're coming from with "nothing new." That in and of itself has never been a big deal to me. I tend to like thing that are creative within certain defined bounds. To me, this sounds like a lost Canterbury album from the 70s, and it's not so much the "newness" but the "Canterburyness" of it that gets me jazzed. Also, since even "Canterbury" covers a pretty wide swath, Zopp just seems to hone in on those aspects of the sound that I like the best. For me, it does that "chops in service of great tunes/melodies" thing perfectly, without a lot of improv/wanking or the interference of too-precious vocals to distract from the meaty bits.
    That's pretty much how I feel. And that's a great point about there not being a ton of wankery. I like that this is more on the stripped-down and composed side of things. The pristine recording fits that modus operandi quite well, IMO.
    <sig out of order>

I am also in the camp of non-convinced listeners. The potential is clearly there, but the band does not handle the material in a cohere way, and seems to drift astray in developing their ideas. I listened once, 2, 3, 4 times and nothing sticks.

Just my humble opinion. It is an ok first effort, and I wouldn't be surprised if they come with something far better in the future - there is potential.

I bought this one recently - took at least half a dozens listens to click with me- but I think it is superb. I understand from Facebook that they are working on new stuff and I personally can't wait!

Brand new 11-minute Zopp....

Great! I love their debut.

First album was superb. Looking forward to more.

Honestly, as much as I like the instrumental work out, I'd rather live without the vocals in the clip above.

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Honestly, as much as I like the instrumental work out, I'd rather live without the vocals in the clip above.
    My thoughts exactly. He's not terrible, but not great either and it's kind of a weird fit IMO. Not the first time that somebody capable of playing multiple instruments has decided to sing as well, when maybe they should have got an actual vocalist or kept things instrumental.

Neil