Thread: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway Illustrated - Complete

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway Illustrated - Complete

Here is Nathaniel Barlem's complete version of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. Like his earlier version of "Supper's Ready", it consists mostly of static illustrations with a few bits of simple animation. Quite impressive, and must have been an awful lot of work.

I'm sorry but I can't stop thinking of the Clutch Cargo tv series..not trying to be disrespectful to the artist, but being honest.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.com

that was ... different. I like it though.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I'm sorry but I can't stop thinking of the Clutch Cargo tv series..not trying to be disrespectful to the artist, but being honest.
    I know what you mean; but at least he didn't use Synchro-Vox.

I thought of Terry Gilliam, myself, except there weren't any engravings of Victorian officers saying "Blah blah bla-bla-bla-blah"

From what I read about the artist, he spent 3 years building it in sections and just finished assembling it recently. He posted the completed edit on Sunday, the 19th. Quite an accomplishment!

Not too bad! Quite some effort.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

This is probably the closest we'll ever get to a Lamb movie. IIRC back in the mid-2000's, there was some talk of a Lamb movie by the band.

I thought you meant just the song ... But the whole album!!! What an effort of love. Beautiful interpretation.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Thanks for posting.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

I find this disappointing. I am a big fan of the Lamb and I like the lyrics a lot , for me one of the high points of Gabriel's writing , a brillant mix of stream of consciousness, wordgames , puns and cultural references a very literary record like the mid 60s Dylan. I never really cared about the storyline. I saw the Musical Box Lamb show ( quite close to the original show I suppose) and the visual aspect ( slides and costumes) support the lyrics without being too detailed.
    Quite opposite this rendition insists heavily on each word turning the lyrics into a very flat affair a bit like painting by numbers. One of my favourite lines "Caryl Chessman sniffs the air and leads the parade. He knows in a scent you can bottle all you made. " looses completely it's charme.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

I'd like to add, I appreciate the hard work this person did in putting this together.

I don't like videos or movies of previously released conceptual albums or songs.
    I am an album listener, in otherwords I put an album on and play it from start to finish.
    I also form my own visuals and concepts of what the song or album is about. I am not a lyrics reader. I don't sit with an album liner and read the words as I listen. I try to devote my entire music experience to listening and in doing so without any preconceived ideas, it becomes part of how I view the song or album.
    I let the texture, melody, rhythm, effects, vocals carry me away into my own creative world of my mind.

I've said before, I love Brave by Marillion, but when I bought the movie version I was very disappointed and gave it away. Don't tell me or show me what your music is about, let me create that as a listener, and often many people will see hear something different, or it will mean something different.
    I love IQ's Subterranea, but I know they made a movie version of it several years ago, with real actors..not sure about that. I have the concert version of it, and that doesn't bother me, because it gives me a hint of what they're trying to show, the whole experience of the sound, performance, visuals, etc still give you freedom to imagine the rest.

So for me these concept albums are best for live performance, or at home listening on the stereo without a visual story defining every moment, word or piece of music.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.com

Aside from the porcupine being a literal porcupine toy, (seriously?!) and without being too too graphic re "the tube" i thought he did a really good job with this.

Still doesn't make sense

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Here is Nathaniel Barlem's complete version of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. Like his earlier version of "Supper's Ready", it consists mostly of static illustrations with a few bits of simple animation. Quite impressive, and must have been an awful lot of work.

Quite impressive indeed! I've enjoyed Nathaniel's illustrated work on on other Genesis songs but I think this is his best work (so far). Thanks for sharing Baribrotzer. PS: Has Nathaniel illustrated anything from Selling England By The Pound?

As near as I can tell, his only Genesis work (other than the Lamb) has been "Supper's Ready" and an early storyboard for "A Trick of the Tail" (the song, not the album).
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

I just zappzd or FFWD to see how this guy treated some of the songs , and TBH, nothing to get excited (IMHO) about, but it's iumpressive amount of work that went into this

I'd seen his 2112 and Supper's Ready and if I manged top go thru with them (and not return), it's because they were both just above 20 mins, not 80.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.