Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Three Members of Genesis Went to a Knicks Game — Speculations Abound

His 90s albums like Guitar Noir and Darktown are better than his more recent ones IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    His 90s albums like Guitar Noir and Darktown are better than his more recent ones IMHO.
    Still haven't heard those for some reason -- but the only of his recent CDs I've got are Genesis Revisited II and Squackett.

I need to check out those 90s albums.

Squackett was just OK, I thought. Some of the songs Squire sang lead on didn't do that much for me. Yet again we get that reverb-drenched Roger King production style.

I think some of the songs on GTR weren't bad. But I don't like the vocals (too typically 'mid-Atlantic' AOR, compared with- say- Gabriel/Jon Anderson) and the production/mix is obviously very dated now.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Still haven't heard those for some reason -- but the only of his recent CDs I've got are Genesis Revisited II and Squackett.

I need to check out those 90s albums.
    And I think 'To Watch The Storms' is excellent too. But I agree with you that it's ridiculous to say everyone sold out except for Hackett. I don't dislike the 80s and 90s output of Steve, Tony or Peter. Albums like 'Cured', 'Still', and PG4 (Security) I think are pretty good. I probably got the most mileage out of Tony's, but even later Hackett doesn't compare to early Genesis to me. I actually like the last Banks album more than either Hackett's or Gabriel's later output. I think too much blame is passed on the trio when they needed to make a living and probably did their best to put as much creativity as they could while meeting everyone's demands. I don't care much for We Can't Dance personally but I think they were still trying to include creativity in the mix.

An unpopular view on here but I love a fair bit of the trio's output. And yes that includes the singles- the only one I don't really rate is 'Illegal Alien'. Even some of the ballads I'm fine with, though I do prefer the more offbeat singles like 'Mama', 'Turn It On Again', 'Keep It Dark' etc.

To Watch The Storms is a great album yes. I also really like Wild Orchids (underrated, this one IMHO) and most of his two rock albums which followed. After that not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    IMO nothing Gabriel or Collins did after 1980 is innovative or progressive. It was an appeal to the lowest common denominator.
    My idea of what demographic comprises the LCD evidently differs from yours.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Gabriel's last album, Up, is anti-pop in music and theme. It's hardly a run of the mill pop album. Far from it. Maybe one tune (Barry Williams) was written for the masses.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Agreed. I see the LCD on an all too-common basis, and they are not listening to anything as advanced as PG, or even PC. But I don't think we're dealing with somebody rational here. I'm just disappointed that he didn't casually insert any Wikipedia text into his post this time, like he did when he complained about Geddy Lee playing with Yes at the Rock And Roll HOF induction.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Agreed. I see the LCD on an all too-common basis, and they are not listening to anything as advanced as PG, or even PC. But I don't think we're dealing with somebody rational here. I'm just disappointed that he didn't casually insert any Wikipedia text into his post this time, like he did when he complained about Geddy Lee playing with Yes at the Rock And Roll HOF induction.
    The signature of an immature person is when they go personal. Unfortunately some people can’t handle personal opinion, especially when they don’t like what you like.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Great, but I would never be one to identify a demographic. What demographic likes pop music? I liked much of the pop of the 80’s, but it never held my interest consistently like early Genesis. One characteristic of Prog for me is that every time I listen, I hear something else. Pop is a quick thrill, easily exhausted after a few playings. Especially “Shock the Monkey”.

Did the Knicks win?
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

^ Do they ever?

Unfortunately some people can’t handle personal opinion, especially when they don’t like what you like.
    You're right, some people can't. I can, though. For example, if someone said they prefer Illegal Alien to The Cinema Show (which would be a perfect example of them liking what I don't like), I would find it strange and difficult to believe, but I could handle it. I could discuss it with them on a rational level and find out why they like what they like, and don't like what I don't. Your points of discussion, on the other hand, come across more as wild, baseless conclusions that you pull out of thin air and present here, only to ignore any legitimate questions that naturally arise. I still want to know where the "Collins contamination" is on Wind And Wuthering, BTW.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Lucky Man
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Do they ever?
    Not quite 1/3 of the time.

Which is an improvement.

lol

These sad times, these later days. Sell, James, sell, he adds, disconsolate.

I'm off topic, aren't I.

There's a designated place for these comments, isn't there.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankh View Post

There's a designated place for these comments, isn't there.
    In the lonely pit of despair where Spike Lee dwells.

Lucky Man
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    In the lonely pit of despair where Spike Lee dwells.
    Many, many, many years ago, it was 1968

My father working nights at G.E.

At around midnight, the phone rings. My mother, disconcerted, answers. It's for me. Disconcerting.

I did not know what a basketball fan my dad was.

He is very excited. "Son? We got DeBusschere!"

I had a lot of questions. Who's we? The Knicks! Who's DeBusschere? I would find out soon enough, although my old man did his best to fill his bewildered 10 year old son in.

Several years later, in what would be their second championship season, we saw the Knicks together. It was the second night of one of those home and home series, which had to be awful. They were playing Golden State, who had Rick Barry at the time. The night before, in Oakland, Dave D. had held Barry to 4 points in a road win.

In our game at the Garden, they rested DeBusschere. Barry had 38, but the Knicks guard trio of Frazier, Monroe and Meminger were too much for the Warriors.

It was a different time, wasn't it. A different brand of basketball being played.

A different time.

Not too long after that, someone told me if I liked who I was listening to(bet you can guess), I would like Genesis...

lol
    Last edited by Frankh; 02-23-2020 at 02:01 AM.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I still want to know where the "Collins contamination" is on Wind And Wuthering, BTW.
    Obviously, there is none. "Wind And Wuthering" is an outstanding release and everyone in the band is to be credited (not contaminated)!

The signature of an immature person is when they go personal. Unfortunately some people can’t handle personal opinion, especially when they don’t like what you like.
    Indeed. Remind me of your reactions to criticisms of the Davis remixes again.

Banned

Three Members of Genesis Went to a Knicks Game — Speculations Abound

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Obviously, there is none. "Wind And Wuthering" is an outstanding release and everyone in the band is to be credited (not contaminated)!
    Here:

Maybe Collins wasn’t the culprit after all:
    The blatantly commercial ballad "Your Own Special Way," composed by Mike Rutherford, gives lie to the idea that Genesis' transformation into a Top 40 band was simply an '80s phenomenon. Phil Collins' long-standing interest in jazz-rock is also smartly showcased on "Wot Gorilla?"

Read More: When Genesis Said Goodbye to Steve Hackett on 'Wind & Wuthering' | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/gene...edium=referral
    Last edited by Firth; 02-23-2020 at 04:02 PM.

You are unable to skip one track for an otherwise stellar progressive release? You're entering troll territory.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Here:

Maybe Collins wasn’t the culprit after all:
    The blatantly commercial ballad "Your Own Special Way," composed by Mike Rutherford, gives lie to the idea that Genesis' transformation into a Top 40 band was simply an '80s phenomenon. Phil Collins' long-standing interest in jazz-rock is also smartly showcased on "Wot Gorilla?"

Read More: When Genesis Said Goodbye to Steve Hackett on 'Wind & Wuthering' | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/gene...edium=referral
    https://somethingelsereviews.com/202...6CjXh17-cW0QFc
    "the reason I left the band was because I wasn’t allowed to pursue a solo career whilst I was a member of the band. And I thought, no. Nobody employs me. Nobody owns me. Yeah, I’ve got to be my own secret weapon here."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    You are unable to skip one track for an otherwise stellar progressive release? You're entering troll territory.
    Why skip any tracks on this stellar release (rhetorical question, of course)? Count me in the percentage (whatever percentage that is) of people who like the entire album a lot, with no qualms about the "commercial" directions of various cuts on the album. And, "Your Own Special Way" is no more commercial than some tracks on "Lamb", as I see it. The thematic Autumn-like feeling that this album exudes is served well by every track in it's own place, start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    https://somethingelsereviews.com/202...6CjXh17-cW0QFc
    "the reason I left the band was because I wasn’t allowed to pursue a solo career whilst I was a member of the band. And I thought, no. Nobody employs me. Nobody owns me. Yeah, I’ve got to be my own secret weapon here."
    Sheesh, some of that interview is really hard to read. The interviewer fanboying over Steve, for example.

Edit: Oh gosh, I hope he's not a forum member here. I didn't mean to offend.
    Last edited by aith01; 02-24-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Why skip any tracks on this stellar release (rhetorical question, of course)? Count me in the percentage (whatever percentage that is) of people who like the entire album a lot, with no qualms about the "commercial" directions of various cuts on the album. And, "Your Own Special Way" is no more commercial than some tracks on "Lamb", as I see it. The thematic Autumn-like feeling that this album exudes is served well by every track in it's own place, start to finish.
    Point well taken.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Gabriel's last album, Up, is anti-pop in music and theme. It's hardly a run of the mill pop album. Far from it. Maybe one tune (Barry Williams) was written for the masses.
    I agree. Probably his least 'pop' and most 'proggy' release.

And I personally like all of Wind & Wuthering. 'Your Own Special Way' has a nice mood, the weaving blend of guitars and autoharp makes the song and the verses I like a lot better than the chorus. I may not like as much if it didn't follow 'One For The Vine' and precede 'Wot Gorilla', providing a rather poignant contrast to those more interesting tracks.