Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Three Members of Genesis Went to a Knicks Game — Speculations Abound

Three Members of Genesis Went to a Knicks Game — Speculations Abound

From Rolling Stone.com:
    Genesis fans who have spent the last 13 years praying for a reunion woke up this morning to the news that Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford, and Tony Banks were photographed together last night at a Knicks game.

According to the fan site Genesis News, there are rumors that the group met up in the city to “test the waters for future activities.”

More Details Here:
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...s-game-942010/

Regardless we all know Hackett will get the usual snub. But hey the trio is better than nothing.

Have never seen them. Missed the final tour because the Ottawa/Montreal shows were the same weekend as FMPM. So I'm kind of enthused for a final final tour.

Three former members of Genesis walk into a bar...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Three former members of Genesis walk into a bar...
    The bartender looks at them and says to Rutherford “Why the long face?”

.. they went into a recording studio and a basketball game broke out.

Oh god.......here come 12 Pages of Fairy Dust........
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I saw Collins last year, and it was sad to see someone who was once such a dynamic performer, and one of the greatest drummers in rock, walk on stage with a cane and perform the entire show from a chair. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to see my favorite band one final time.

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    Regardless we all know Hackett will get the usual snub. But hey the trio is better than nothing.
    It makes sense, though. What would Hackett do on the post-1977 material?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    LMAO!

In all seriousness, I can't imagine Tony Banks enjoying a basketball game, somehow.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I was at the very last Genesis concert at the Hollywood Bowl and remember the bitter-sweet experience. Was the great musicianship still in tact? Yes. And even though Phil was hurting, he still played great. My problem is that really I'm a Gabriel/Hackett era fan boy. and the way the band see's that era to me is a shame. A couple of butchered medleys of the old prog material in no way cut it for me. So...if they happen to want and do another tour I'll bow out unless Steve Hackett is invited and the prog material is given equal respect in importance and length duration. I will never, ever understand why Phil, Mike, Tony and Peter seem have a mind set that their early work with Genesis was some kind of adolescent rubblish?
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Have never seen them. Missed the final tour because the Ottawa/Montreal shows were the same weekend as FMPM. So I'm kind of enthused for a final final tour.
    We went to the Genesis show on the Firday night and then attended FMPM on the Saturday and Sunday. The Genesis show was underwhelming. I doubt there would a Genesis reunion again.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Rutherford shows the bartender a pic of wife Angie and says, "Works for me."

Quote Originally Posted by olias View Post

It makes sense, though. What would Hackett do on the post-1977 material?
    Try to make it good?

Phil’s birthday is in a few days and rumors also suggested they got together for some festivities.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Phil’s birthday is in a few days and rumors also suggested they got together for some festivities.
    A pint and new tennis balls on his walker?

I was watching the Lakers vs Knicks game on Wednesday and the showed Phil Collins seated in the crowd, he looked rather old and frail and seemed to have a cane (only saw the top, I guess it could have been an umbrella)...

Let's see if Genesis can pull an Aerosmith stunt by evincing out Collins out after an audition
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I know Steve has his own thing going. His Genesis Revisited band has been tearing it up, whomever is involved. But I'm not up to date on his relationship with the 'Then There Were 3' guys...why the 'snub' comment ?

Quote Originally Posted by olias View Post
    I saw Collins last year, and it was sad to see someone who was once such a dynamic performer, and one of the greatest drummers in rock, walk on stage with a cane and perform the entire show from a chair.
    I agree. I'm a huge fan of Phil Collins, his time with Genesis, solo and guest appearances. I've seen some videos of his most recent tour, and while his vocals have improved quite a bit, he's still not there in my opinion, and it takes awhile to get over his frail and aged appearance.
    But I'm happy he's overcome so much to get this far, and singing/performance is his love and I'm glad he's getting to do what he loves.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    . I will never, ever understand why Phil, Mike, Tony and Peter seem have a mind set that their early work with Genesis was some kind of adolescent rubblish?
    I agree, but thankfully Steve has stepped up to the plate and is honoring that era wonderfully. His concerts are a must see for any classic Genesis fan. Plus I'm also a big fan of Steve's solo work, especially the earlier stuff.
    As far as the trio goes, I enjoy albums like TOTT, W&W and even THWT contain that magical earlier Genesis vibe, and I think Duke has some very good songs on it. But I still enjoy the others, there are some songs on every later album that are good to me.
    As far as abandoning their past, yes, but we are thankful they wrote and recorded those things and we have their prog era albums to listen to and that was their gift.
    They've moved on. As musicians sometimes you change as an artist and in the later years you want to do what you want instead of what people expect from you.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Could they have attended a Rock Drummers recent memorial service?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

So did Phil ruin the knicks game or not? Somebody tell us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Regardless we all know Hackett will get the usual snub.
    Has he ever offered to return to the band?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Has he ever offered to return to the band?
    Many times. He's said since the 80's that he'd jump on a reunion of the 5 man band. They just never ask him. He was upset about the impromptu 1982 reunion because he wasn't informed about until the day it was happening and only managed to make it in time for the encores.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    As far as abandoning their past, yes, but we are thankful they wrote and recorded those things and we have their prog era albums to listen to and that was their gift.
    They've moved on. As musicians sometimes you change as an artist and in the later years you want to do what you want instead of what people expect from you.
    Yes, I too regret the fact that they dismiss their earlier prog material as if it was just kid stuff, almost implying that it is not worthy of its true greatness. "Trespass" through "Duke" was an outstanding body of work that will always be top notch prog in my view. It's hard to hear them talk about it in such pejorative terms.

I recall an eyepopping article and interview in Cream magazine with Phil, right about the time that ATTWT came out. He indicated that the Genesis prog sound was pretty much now past them and they were focusing on pop rock mainstream, song oriented material. They had grown out of the progressive rock movement and no longer had aspirations to pursue it, beyond playing the classic material at their concerts. My heart sunk when I read that piece; I kept wishing it was just a bad dream. I had caught them in concert in 1976 on the TOTT tour and they were outstanding, playing all of the great Gabriel era cuts and also the songs from the new album. I then saw them in 1980 on the "Duke" tour, two years after I read the article and I realized that they were serious about going Pop. Still a very good concert, but scaled way back on the classic prog material (performing it more like a suite of "oldies"). They began the concert with "Turn It On Again", a good pop song, but still...

It never ceases to amaze me what an unrealistic and inflated view the prog crowd has of their share of the audience. The vast majority of people buying tickets to see a Genesis reunion tour want to see the 80s/90s hits they know and remember, and wouldn't have a clue who Steve Hackett is, or know anything from those 70s albums. They want the songs they still hear on classic rock radio, and that had those videos they liked when they were in high school. Not some weird, long, un-danceable song they've never heard. The disappointment factor would be enormous, unless they scaled it way down to small theater venues (the last time they did that was forty years ago). Hackett was included in the initial talks in 2006 for the 5-man reunion, and was at the meeting. But when PG bowed out of that, it was decided to go with the trio format, which really was the only thing that made sense if the 5-man lineup wasn't going to work. You can't shoehorn Hackett into the trio stuff, and it's incredibly naive to think that the short-lived 4-man era would go down well with anyone other than fans like us.

So yeah, while I'd personally much prefer to go see Hackett playing the 70s material (which he does very well) in a 2,000-seater than see the trio trot out Invisible Touch in a huge, echoey arena with video screens behind them, I am in a tiny minority in the grand scheme of things - and it's the grand scheme of things that promoters and management consider when putting together a tour with guys of this magnitude. As it is, they do put some of the old stuff in their set as a nod to fans like us. Ripples, Carpet Crawlers, In The Cage/Cinema Show, Los Endos, Musical Box closing, etc. - that's not 'dismissive' at all, frankly. It's unrealistic to expect anything deeper from the catalogue from guys now hitting 70 years old - who haven't played that stuff in nearly five decades.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***