Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 250

Thread: Three Members of Genesis Went to a Knicks Game — Speculations Abound

  1. #26
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    10,546
    I think the discussion is academic, like the perennial, "What Is Prog" threads. In other words, I think there is a minimal chance of a even trio reunion. Just my 2 cents.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  2. #27
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,008
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I think the discussion is academic, like the perennial, "What Is Prog" threads. In other words, I think there is a minimal chance of a even trio reunion. Just my 2 cents.
    Absolutely. We could be wrong, but I just feel the time has passed. And speaking for myself, I didn't even bother with the 2007 reunion when they were in their late 50s. I certainly wouldn't bother with them at 70. Others would, which is fine, of course. But I prefer to keep my memories and the albums.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  3. #28
    Member lazland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me what an unrealistic and inflated view the prog crowd has of their share of the audience. The vast majority of people buying tickets to see a Genesis reunion tour want to see the 80s/90s hits they know and remember, and wouldn't have a clue who Steve Hackett is, or know anything from those 70s albums. They want the songs they still hear on classic rock radio, and that had those videos they liked when they were in high school. Not some weird, long, un-danceable song they've never heard. The disappointment factor would be enormous, unless they scaled it way down to small theater venues (the last time they did that was forty years ago). Hackett was included in the initial talks in 2006 for the 5-man reunion, and was at the meeting. But when PG bowed out of that, it was decided to go with the trio format, which really was the only thing that made sense if the 5-man lineup wasn't going to work. You can't shoehorn Hackett into the trio stuff, and it's incredibly naive to think that the short-lived 4-man era would go down well with anyone other than fans like us.

    So yeah, while I'd personally much prefer to go see Hackett playing the 70s material (which he does very well) in a 2,000-seater than see the trio trot out Invisible Touch in a huge, echoey arena with video screens behind them, I am in a tiny minority in the grand scheme of things - and it's the grand scheme of things that promoters and management consider when putting together a tour with guys of this magnitude. As it is, they do put some of the old stuff in their set as a nod to fans like us. Ripples, Carpet Crawlers, In The Cage/Cinema Show, Los Endos, Musical Box closing, etc. - that's not 'dismissive' at all, frankly. It's unrealistic to expect anything deeper from the catalogue from guys now hitting 70 years old - who haven't played that stuff in nearly five decades.
    This, in spades, which ought to be pinned to every single Genesis reunion thread.

    I love all phases of the band, but it would be unrealistic to expect anything other than the three man band in the type of arenas they would need to fill in order to make it pay.

    I do not want it to happen, though. I have great memories of seeing the band with Collins in his pomp, and I also went to the rain and mud fest that was Milton Keynes, which was fantastic, something which will live with me until I die. However, Collins plainly is not up to this anymore, and I think that any such show would ruin the memory. When something great has run its course, let it be.

    In response to the query above about Hackett and the Milton Keynes show, Banks is on record, more than once, about how pissed he was Hackett left. Although, in a very English way, they all get along, the fact is that Banks has not, I feel, ever really forgiven him.

    Lastly, I do also think that there is something strange about wanting to see a rather portly, and getting on a bit, Gabriel prancing about singing songs about a young Puerto Rican punk. It really wouldn’t work.

    The past is done. Treasure the memories, and enjoy the great vibrant music which is still being made today across the genre.

  4. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    LMAO!

    In all seriousness, I can't imagine Tony Banks enjoying a basketball game, somehow.
    LOL! That was my exact reaction. I love these guys and I know it won't happen but it would be cool if each of them could bring new material and record a swan song album. You would think Gabriel would have tons of material, Mike and Tony and Steve should be able to write something. Ah, just a pipe dream I guess.

  5. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    193
    I'd be happy if they got together to write and record whether or not live shows were part of the plan.

    There was a unique compositional voice when they wrote as a band that I have never heard from any of their solo material and I miss that.

  6. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,981
    Count me in as another who'd rather they 'did something new' (quoting Rutherford RE; Hackett!) than another nostalgia tour. The 2007 tour really worked wonders for their commercial reputation after the way the Wilson line-up fizzled out. But that seemed a good place to leave it.

    No getting away from the elephant in the room- Collins' physical state- either. He had a nasty on-stage fall not so long ago. He's still packing in the crowds and everything, which is great, but it's sad to see.

  7. #32
    Member bill g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Mount Rainier
    Posts
    2,217
    Yeah I'd love an album of new material-they (and by 'they' I mean Banks) can still write great music and they shouldn't tour. However now that Banks has stated umpteen times that he prefers the older material, and his last orchestral album was excellent, I think he'd be at odds with Mike and Phil over the direction the material would take. But maybe they could still just make it up as they go and keep and work out their favorite parts, as they did as a 3-some. Moot point though, as it'll never happen.

  8. #33
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    3,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    So did Phil ruin the knicks game or not? Somebody tell us.
    /lol, Phil ruined it for the Knicks and Tony for the Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I think the discussion is academic, like the perennial, "What Is Prog" threads. In other words, I think there is a minimal chance of a even trio reunion. Just my 2 cents.
    not that we'd care if they did or didn't

    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Absolutely. We could be wrong, but I just feel the time has passed. And speaking for myself, I didn't even bother with the 2007 reunion when they were in their late 50s. I certainly wouldn't bother with them at 70. Others would, which is fine, of course. But I prefer to keep my memories and the albums.

    absolutely
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  9. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,981
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Yeah I'd love an album of new material-they (and by 'they' I mean Banks) can still write great music and they shouldn't tour. However now that Banks has stated umpteen times that he prefers the older material, and his last orchestral album was excellent, I think he'd be at odds with Mike and Phil over the direction the material would take. But maybe they could still just make it up as they go and keep and work out their favorite parts, as they did as a 3-some. Moot point though, as it'll never happen.
    Collins has no real issue with the older stuff (he's said it's Brand X he struggles to relate to now). I've long felt it's Rutherford who's most removed from it now, when you look at what he does with the Mechanics. And then there's all his numerous 'a bit busy' comments in interviews concerning older work.

  10. #35
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,008
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Collins has no real issue with the older stuff (he's said it's Brand X he struggles to relate to now). I've long felt it's Rutherford who's most removed from it now, when you look at what he does with the Mechanics. And then there's all his numerous 'a bit busy' comments in interviews concerning older work.
    Collins seems to quite like a lot of the old material, but my guess is that he wouldn't think they should play too much of it.

    Rutherford indeed thinks they are "A bit busy. These are period pieces. YknowwhatImean?" - Or at least I think that's what he said. It's a bit like listening to Prince Charles after ten scotches.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  11. #36
    Member bill g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Mount Rainier
    Posts
    2,217
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Collins has no real issue with the older stuff (he's said it's Brand X he struggles to relate to now). I've long felt it's Rutherford who's most removed from it now, when you look at what he does with the Mechanics. And then there's all his numerous 'a bit busy' comments in interviews concerning older work.
    Yes, your right.

  12. #37
    Member bill g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Mount Rainier
    Posts
    2,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Collins seems to quite like a lot of the old material, but my guess is that he wouldn't think they should play too much of it.

    Rutherford indeed thinks they are "A bit busy. These are period pieces. YknowwhatImean?" - Or at least I think that's what he said. It's a bit like listening to Prince Charles after ten scotches.

  13. #38
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    42°09′30″N 71°08′43″W
    Posts
    2,925
    There's no way these three could do any better than what Hackett's been doing in recent years, and he doesn't carry the post-W&W baggage.

  14. #39
    I seriously doubt there will be a tour or new material, even though I would absolutely love to hear new music from these guys if they ever did that. They're still my favorite band, and I enjoy all Genesis eras.

  15. #40
    Perhaps these old geezers can do a prog concept album about incontinence....

    "And Then There Was Pee"
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

    Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

  16. #41
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Absolutely. We could be wrong, but I just feel the time has passed. And speaking for myself, I didn't even bother with the 2007 reunion when they were in their late 50s. I certainly wouldn't bother with them at 70. Others would, which is fine, of course. But I prefer to keep my memories and the albums.
    Yep.

    I was out in 2007 when I heard that they were drop-tuning many of the songs. Now, Phil can't stand and surely hasn't regained his range, so what's the point?

    Hackett is playing the material that most of us care about, and with stellar musicians to help him out. That works for me.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  17. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Lincolnshire, England
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Yes, your right.
    You're not.

  18. #43
    (aka timmybass69) timmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    central Texas
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Rutherford indeed thinks they are "A bit busy. These are period pieces. YknowwhatImean?"
    YES! That's what makes it so exciting and gives it so much depth, Mike Rutherford. YouknowwhatImean, Mike Rutherford. Depth. The major characteristic missing from the fucking lame-ass pap song "The Living Years" that you wrote.

    "Say it loud (say it loud), say it clear (oh say it clear)
    You can listen as well as you hear
    It's too late (it's too late) when we die (oh when we die)
    To admit we don't see eye to eye..."

    Wow. That song is so fucking whitebread.

    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

  19. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    West Chester, PA
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me what an unrealistic and inflated view the prog crowd has of their share of the audience. The vast majority of people buying tickets to see a Genesis reunion tour want to see the 80s/90s hits they know and remember, and wouldn't have a clue who Steve Hackett is, or know anything from those 70s albums. They want the songs they still hear on classic rock radio, and that had those videos they liked when they were in high school. Not some weird, long, un-danceable song they've never heard. The disappointment factor would be enormous, unless they scaled it way down to small theater venues (the last time they did that was forty years ago). Hackett was included in the initial talks in 2006 for the 5-man reunion, and was at the meeting. But when PG bowed out of that, it was decided to go with the trio format, which really was the only thing that made sense if the 5-man lineup wasn't going to work. You can't shoehorn Hackett into the trio stuff, and it's incredibly naive to think that the short-lived 4-man era would go down well with anyone other than fans like us.

    So yeah, while I'd personally much prefer to go see Hackett playing the 70s material (which he does very well) in a 2,000-seater than see the trio trot out Invisible Touch in a huge, echoey arena with video screens behind them, I am in a tiny minority in the grand scheme of things - and it's the grand scheme of things that promoters and management consider when putting together a tour with guys of this magnitude. As it is, they do put some of the old stuff in their set as a nod to fans like us. Ripples, Carpet Crawlers, In The Cage/Cinema Show, Los Endos, Musical Box closing, etc. - that's not 'dismissive' at all, frankly. It's unrealistic to expect anything deeper from the catalogue from guys now hitting 70 years old - who haven't played that stuff in nearly five decades.
    Wow. Hit the nail on the head here.

    And to those of you who want "new" material, the above applies to that as well. Why does anyone think that...

    A) these guys in their 60s? 70s? will write something equal to their output when they were in their 20s and 30s?

    B) that it will be even remotely proggy? Witness Rutherford's output with Mike and The Mechanics, Collins's output and We Can't Dance.

    The train has left the station. Accept it.
    Man you guys take awfully seriously a bunch of pampered, spoiled twenty and thirty something year old jocks earning millions of dollars to play a game running up and down a field. Why do you care so much about these guys to the point of arguing with each other. Do you think they care an iota about you?

    Bartellb on pro football

  20. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post

    The train has left the station. Accept it.
    Regrettably, that last line says it all.

  21. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Wow. Hit the nail on the head here.

    And to those of you who want "new" material, the above applies to that as well. Why does anyone think that...

    A) these guys in their 60s? 70s? will write something equal to their output when they were in their 20s and 30s?

    B) that it will be even remotely proggy? Witness Rutherford's output with Mike and The Mechanics, Collins's output and We Can't Dance.

    The train has left the station. Accept it.
    Don't tell us what to do or think. If you think they are incapable of writing something equal to their output of their youth, you are simply an ageist. It's not wether they can, it's more whether they want to. I don't think they want to.

  22. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    1,148
    Maybe they are working on another remaster edition of box sets again.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. #48
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    6,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Yestor View Post
    Don't tell us what to do or think. If you think they are incapable of writing something equal to their output of their youth, you are simply an ageist. It's not wether they can, it's more whether they want to. I don't think they want to.
    You're kidding yourself, but there's no law against that, so...

  24. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    248
    Yestor
    Don't tell us what to do or think. If you think they are incapable of writing something equal to their output of their youth, you are simply an ageist. It's not wether they can, it's more whether they want to. I don't think they want to

    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    You're kidding yourself, but there's no law against that, so...
    Agreed, and I took it as more of a rhetorical question as opposed to telling us what to think. It's up to individual perspective as I see it.

  25. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sussex, England.
    Posts
    1,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Wow. Hit the nail on the head here.

    And to those of you who want "new" material, the above applies to that as well. Why does anyone think that...

    A) these guys in their 60s? 70s? will write something equal to their output when they were in their 20s and 30s?

    B) that it will be even remotely proggy? Witness Rutherford's output with Mike and The Mechanics, Collins's output and We Can't Dance.

    The train has left the station. Accept it.
    Agreed 100%. Its over, get over it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •