Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are words for? Missing Persons...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    Dale kinda looks like Lady Gaga there.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Dale kinda looks like Lady Gaga there.
    but lady gaga is much fuller in the hips and midriff.

her hips and butt are NOT attractive, sorry

nothing about her works for this very straight Latin guy
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    her hips and butt are NOT attractive, sorry

nothing about her works for this very straight Latin guy
    Are you talking about Dale or Gaga?

Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    love love love this band. Very cool sound, and awesome lyrics. In a sea of stupidity and cheese that was the 80s, Missing Persons, Devo, The Fixx and The Psychedelic Furs were my oasis of good music.
    Yup!

not even a "guilty" pleasure for me (actually i have no guilt about anything i listen to ).

thanks for the video. very cool.

i was LITERALLY just listening to the album moments ago prompted by an email from a friend who's worked with Dale.

i'd not heard it in years but it still holds up. great tunes, really. pretty much every one is memorable.

i even think Dale's little squeak is kind of endearing. kind of endearing. certainly it doesn't make it any less fun to listen to.

that said, i've only got the one album "Spring Session M". i don't know if they have others and i've not really followed them since that one.

my friend and former Polyethylene Pet/+1 band member Van Spragins played bass in the revamped Missing Persons for some years before joining the band
    Headshear (which some of you might enjoy, track below):

https://soundcloud.com/headshear/01-...lking-tapestry

(they kind of have a Crimson vibe although they do have their own way with a tune...)

K
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Yeah I was and still am a big fan. Got the see them twice with the original lineup, amazing band. Terry's solo during US Drag is mind blowing (it must be on you tube somewhere) Dale still occasionally tours with a backup band doing the MP tunes, and once and a while Warren will do some gigs with her. Great stuff, Spring Session M is one of my top 10 all time.

Wow! Polypet, those tracks from Headshear sound great! I'm sure if Mr. Fripp heard this he would either shed a tear of fond remembrance, or order someone to chop off their heads. Either way, very high praise indeed.

hi Casey,

glad you enjoyed it! it's a very good record and Van is an excellent bass player. i was very impressed when i first heard the album.

he's a master fretless player (which is what he played in our live band) and a genuinely nice guy. i wish them all the best. i'm pretty sure Wayside carries that record, btw

Kim
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Being an unabashed Zappa freak who also loved punk/post-punk/new wave, Missing Persons were totally in my wheelhouse. I still love their music today. I loved the way Terry managed to fit his bombastic drumming into those poppy new wave tunes of theirs.

A couple of nights ago in Cali-

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

So when exactly did Gladys Ormphby replace Dale?

Gladys-Ormphby.jpg