Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yes - Drama 40th Anniversary

Did they ever actually do any BBC sessions post-Banks?

I suppose you could technically include things like QPR and Wembley as they were broadcast on BBC TV/radio respectively. But it's not quite the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Did they ever actually do any BBC sessions post-Banks?

I suppose you could technically include things like QPR and Wembley as they were broadcast on BBC TV/radio respectively. But it's not quite the same thing.
    Yes: there were proper post-Banks BBC sessions, AIUI.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by malgeo View Post
    I think the MSG show was actually a live radio broadcast. The buzz (esp. in Fly from Here) is definitely, well, a buzzkill.

(Didn't you see this tour at Stabler Arena in Bethlehem, arturs? I still kick myself for missing that one.)
    Yep, probably thanks to that show I am here on PE 40 years later. The Drama band were very well received in Bethlehem, nonstop cheering throughout. I think there was a "holy shit! Yes is coming to Bethlehem?!!" factor. But anyway, Stabler was packed and the crowd hugely enthusiastic.

To my 13 year-old ears the band were fantastic, *including* the singing. Of course it probably helped that I didn't really know what many of the songs were supposed to sound like. At the time my total Yes song-knowledge probably consisted of Roundabout, Starship Trooper and a couple of the Drama tracks that were being played on WZZO around the time of the show.

By the way many years ago one of the WZZO DJs used to hang out here on PE; IIRC he said he had a tape of the Stabler Drama show. He recalled that it was the first major rock show at Stabler and the staff didn't seem to know that you weren't supposed to let people in carrying large boomboxes. So in he went and taped the whole thing very openly. Shame that tape does not seem to have surfaced anywhere.

^^ I was at the very first show at Stabler Arena: Frank Zappa on April 27, 1980. It was not Yes. They didn't get there until late summer.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ I was at the very first show at Stabler Arena: Frank Zappa on April 27, 1980. It was not Yes. They didn't get there until late summer.
    Wow. I never knew Zappa had come to Bethlehem when I lived there. Don't know how I missed that because I was quite aware of Zappa even at 13. But yeah Stabler attracted a lot of major acts when they started out. Yes, AC/DC, Ozzy, Dio-Sabbath, Kansas, Kinks, Grateful Dead, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel ...and Zappa. Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread further.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Wow. I never knew Zappa had come to Bethlehem when I lived there. Don't know how I missed that because I was quite aware of Zappa even at 13. But yeah Stabler attracted a lot of major acts when they started out. Yes, AC/DC, Ozzy, Dio-Sabbath, Kansas, Kinks, Grateful Dead, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel ...and Zappa. Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread further.
    No derailing, IMHO, It's all cool. I saw some good ones at Stabler before I moved to Pittsburgh in '81 to go to art school. Ozzy with Randy, Kansas (August '81 right before they split). Actually, I guess I saw some when I returned home for a year-plus after school. Triumph (84), Ted Nugent (who I used to like before I grew up).
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Drama is probably my third favorite Yes album. I LOVE the production. That early 80s in-studio feel with just a bit of sheen. Unfortunately, the sheen won out. I think it's great the way it is.

Now, any idea why SW hasn't remixed GFtO? That's the one I really want!!

Quote Originally Posted by zumacraig View Post
    Drama is probably my third favorite Yes album. I LOVE the production. That early 80s in-studio feel with just a bit of sheen. Unfortunately, the sheen won out. I think it's great the way it is.

Now, any idea why SW hasn't remixed GFtO? That's the one I really want!!
    I think I read that the master tapes are missing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    "Not all the members" = Trevor Horn
    Horn can suck my @ss

What about a 5.1 of Going for the One? Has that been discussed?

Quote Originally Posted by The Twickerman View Post
    What about a 5.1 of Going for the One? Has that been discussed?
    Master tapes of GFTO supposedly missing

Here's a composite from 5 Drama tour shows. I have loved the album from day 1, and I've always rooted for Trevor. But sadly, he really did struggle, not just on the Anderson stuff, but some of his own as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Has there been any buzz around a 40th anniversary remix special edition thing? Feels like there should be a Trevor Horn remixed anniversary edition, with the version of Go Through This rumored to be completed during the Return Trip sessions included. Anything?
    Maybe they could do a remix with Benoît David's vocals replacing Horn's.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    Maybe they could do a remix with Benoît David's vocals replacing Horn's.
    Thumbs up from me

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    How sad. I'd kill to hear Awaken in 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Downright tragic, at least the latest cd stereo remasters sound great to my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by The Twickerman View Post
    How sad. I'd kill to hear Awaken in 5.1
    Me too. GFTO is one of my favorite Yes albums, and I was really hoping for a 5.1 mix.