Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yes - Drama 40th Anniversary

Yes - Drama 40th Anniversary

Has there been any buzz around a 40th anniversary remix special edition thing? Feels like there should be a Trevor Horn remixed anniversary edition, with the version of Go Through This rumored to be completed during the Return Trip sessions included. Anything?

Downes once said that the multitracks are missing.

https://progressivemusicreview.wordp...s-14th-august/

Yes I'm not sure what happened with that 'new' version of 'Go Through This'. It was supposedly done for some sort of Rhino best-of, I think, which didn't materialise. Similarly there was talk of an archival release covering their Peter Banks days. That didn't happen either.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Downes once said that the multitracks are missing.
    Thanks for the link. Ugh, that's a shame.

From what I heard Downes didn't want it remixed...

Downes did once throw barbs in Wilson's direction on Twitter, yes. I don't remember the exact quote but somebody here probably will.

Found it! Going back a few years here...

https://twitter.com/asiageoff/status/641431249899290624
    Last edited by JJ88; 01-22-2020 at 01:14 PM.

I don’t do social media, but I have to be fair, spending 15 minutes browsing that Twitter feed of Mr Downes was rather interesting.

Downes did once throw barbs in Wilson's direction on Twitter, yes. I don't remember the exact quote but somebody here probably will.

Found it! Going back a few years here...

https://twitter.com/asiageoff/status/641431249899290624

and:
    https://twitter.com/asiageoff/status/359176523086958593

and:

In his Dec 2015 newsletter, Wilson said:
    There was talk about me doing “Drama”, an album I really love and that would sound great in 5.1, but not all the members of that line up are keen for the album to be remixed—which is totally understandable—and I wouldn’t want to do something without the band being behind it.
    Last edited by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa; 01-22-2020 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    and:
    but not all the members of that line up are keen for the album to be remixed—which is totally understandable—and I wouldn’t want to do something without the band being behind it.
    "Not all the members" = Trevor Horn

Has it been 40 years? Good God! It seems like last week.

Yes I'm not sure what happened with that 'new' version of 'Go Through This'. It was supposedly done for some sort of Rhino best-of, I think, which didn't materialise.
    Don't know about the best-of set, but I believe the problem with "Go Through This" was that they used Squire's 1980 bass recording, and there are rights issues surrounding that.

The Peter Banks set you mention, as far as I know, is supposed to be an archival release of early BBC sessions, sourced differently (and hopefully better) than the ones Peter himself provided for the Something's Coming release. It would include things never before released. Hadn't heard that it was cancelled. I'm not sure it'd be limited to Banks-era stuff, either.

^Yeah I haven't heard about it being 'cancelled'...I haven't heard anything at all! The Something's Coming release, I'd say most of that had 'off-air' sound. But then it's possible the BBC don't have anything better themselves.

Really a Drama re-release would have been a better home for 'Go Through This' in the first place. Then again if the multi-tracks are lost...

^Yeah I haven't heard about it being 'cancelled'...I haven't heard anything at all! The Something's Coming release, I'd say most of that had 'off-air' sound. But then it's possible the BBC don't have anything better themselves.
    Something's Coming was sourced from Peter's own collection of cassette dubs. Other parties apparently have cleaner copies of those broadcasts plus others Peter didn't have. It'd be interesting to know what the BBC has. It's well-known that they recycled the multitracks for their musical shows, but one wonders whether they kept the broadcast tapes or at least low-generation copies on reel-to-reel.

Another source for the old BBC sessions are the transcription discs for overseas sales.

Do we know if there was ever any kind of professional recording of the Drama tour? I've only ever listened to one show- Boston. A very good audience recording. Quite enjoyable as a piece of history, really! Musically good, but vocally you can hear the 'issues' that this line-up encountered.

I remember that they did a King Biscuit Flour Hour show on the Drama tour. Those are usually pretty good quality.

The eons are closing
    The Dallas show from September is also a good Drama boot will have to dig it out.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

[QUOTE=Bruno Sampaio Barbosa;952314]and:
    https://twitter.com/asiageoff/status/359176523086958593

Well, it is kinda hard for me to refute this...I too think that vocals are the only weak thing in Mr. Wilson's very strong bag o tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I remember that they did a King Biscuit Flour Hour show on the Drama tour. Those are usually pretty good quality.
    Their performance at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, NJ 1976 was also broadcast on King Biscuit. I had a cassette tape of it. The recording quality was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    Yes it was the MSG show I'm pretty sure. I remember listening to it on air. But I think that is the one they used for the "Word is Live" Drama tracks, and there's a nasty buzz throughout.

I have not found a Drama show that I really like. Los Angeles is a very good performance, for example, but really "boomy" and cavernous. Boston is similar IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Yes it was the MSG show I'm pretty sure. I remember listening to it on air. But I think that is the one they used for the "Word is Live" Drama tracks, and there's a nasty buzz throughout.
    I think the MSG show was actually a live radio broadcast. The buzz (esp. in Fly from Here) is definitely, well, a buzzkill.

(Didn't you see this tour at Stabler Arena in Bethlehem, arturs? I still kick myself for missing that one.)

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    The Dallas show from September is also a good Drama boot will have to dig it out.
    IMO Dallas 80 is better than LA.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The story goes that they went down well on the US tour, but not at all well on the UK tour which followed.

Drama was a strong album; not up to the 1971-7 albums (for me) but certainly a dramatic improvement on Tormato in every respect. I don't think that line-up would ever have had a long shelf-life though. And in any case all five members went on to greater success so it was academic.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I have not found a Drama show that I really like. Los Angeles is a very good performance, for example, but really "boomy" and cavernous. Boston is similar IIRC.
    Boston is the one I'm familiar with and I think it's a very good audience recording. Everything is clear enough...sometimes that's less than ideal where the vocals are concerned, shall we say!
    Last edited by JJ88; 01-24-2020 at 04:37 PM.

I crack up every time I see the title of this thread. Yes' drama has been going on for more than 40 years.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I crack up every time I see the title of this thread. Yes' drama has been going on for more than 40 years.

Yes Drama / dreamy as / daymares

Downes did once throw barbs in Wilson's direction on Twitter, yes.
    He latterly relented and said nice things about Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    I believe the problem with "Go Through This" was that they used Squire's 1980 bass recording, and there are rights issues surrounding that.
    Not quite rights issues, but I understood there was some discussion about money because of the mixed rights (original recording belongs to Atlantic, thus Warner; new recordings belong to Yes).

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    The Peter Banks set you mention, as far as I know, is supposed to be an archival release of early BBC sessions, sourced differently (and hopefully better) than the ones Peter himself provided for the Something's Coming release. It would include things never before released. Hadn't heard that it was cancelled. I'm not sure it'd be limited to Banks-era stuff, either.
    The release, which is past due, but I believe will appear at some point, is of all Yes BBC sessions and, thus, does go beyond the Banks era.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/