Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Terry Jones

R.I.P. Terry Jones

Died last night at 77 from dementia.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-51209197

I found him extremely funny and extremely clever in and out of Monty Python. His best pal Michael Palin will surely be devastated. And the Python gang just lost Neil Innes three weeks ago too.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    God, we're all getting older. Funny, funny, man. Rest in Peace.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Sad to hear this. Great memories watching Monty Python with my folks as a kid. He leaves an incredible legacy in TV, film and print; and as a warm-hearted person.

Bill

Monty Python star Terry Jones has died at the age of 77, after having lived with dementia..."
    Terry would have appreciated the joke.

So very sad, but not unexpected. I found him incredibly funny... and erudite. He did a lot of research into Geoffrey Chaucer and was a true champion of his writing. His musical bits that found their way into various Python sketches were always top-of-the-line, especially the lampooning of the stereotypical "Welshman who deludes himself into thinking he can sing really well," and so on. That whole "Every Sperm Is Sacred" skit and intricately choreographed dance routine in The Meaning of Life is just f'ing BRILLIANT, too. And let's not forget Brian's mom, 5 o'clock shadow and all, in Life of Brian.

I do recall that when they were together once on some special hosted by Steve Martin (in the '90s?), they were clowning around with the supposed ashes of former member Graham Chapman. They got to wondering aloud who would be the next Python to go, and Cleese joked that he thought it would be Jonesy. Sadly, he was correct. Farewell, you funny man, who touched our funny bones in his inimitable British way.

The eons are closing
    Another piece of childhood gone.
    RIP
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Shit.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

No surprise, given recent reports. Really really sad to read about this. We just watched "Life of Brian" this past weekend.

RIP, Terry.

I think the funeral procession should all dress in drag in his honor.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Aw, crap.

I think drag would definitely be appropriate for any tribute. My first thought was of the sketch with Palin where he comes to "read the poet" installed under the stairs and Jones tries to seduce him to stay. The second was Jones playing The Bells of St. Mary's on the Mouse Organ.

A talented soul, responsible for many, many of the laughs of my life.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Goddamn it, I’m busy mourning Neil Peart! Sad indeed, I’m another of the many longtime Python fans around here. It was a big part of my childhood. Mudshark22, I hope you feel in some way that we still have these people with us. I’m really sad about Peart but feel closer to him in a way.

Whorg, I didn’t know about Jones’ work on Chaucer - very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I do recall that when they were together once on some special hosted by Steve Martin (in the '90s?), they were clowning around with the supposed ashes of former member Graham Chapman. They got to wondering aloud who would be the next Python to go, and Cleese joked that he thought it would be Jonesy. Sadly, he was correct.
    Unless you want to count Neil Innes (December 29), who was sort of a Python-in-waiting.

Farewell, Inspector Harry 'Snapper' Organs, scourge of the Piranha Brothers, and Mr Wensleydale, proprietor of the finest and cleanest cheese shop in the neighbourhood.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    He was a very funny genius and had a profound impact on me growing up.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

RIP Terry. Was watching some Monty Python episodes on Netflix this week. Will be sorely missed

I may have laughed harder at my first screening of 'Life Of Brian' than I have ever laughed in my life.

au revoir
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

RIP Terry. You made my life a lot better.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

"Oh, Deidre, will you pick it up?"
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

No doubt he and Graham Chapman are currently working on skits in the great beyond.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

No, he isn't! He's resting.

RIP Terry. I'm like my mother was thirty years ago, watching hero after hero fade into the twilight.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I knew it was coming soon, but still so sad. My favorites of his were the mouse organ and when he did the strip-tease after not being able to find a place to change clothes. One of more of the other Pythons said he was the best rat-bag woman in the business.

He was a very naughty boy.
    2020 is not off to a very good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Farewell, Inspector Harry 'Snapper' Organs, scourge of the Piranha Brothers, and Mr Wensleydale, proprietor of the finest and cleanest cheese shop in the neighbourhood.
    Don't forget Mr. Creosote. "Ees waafer thin."

Off playing with all the ex-parrots

RIP and uber kudos for countless laughs, sir
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

RIP to a brilliant and fucking hilarious comic genius. Thanks for the laughs!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Michael Palin was Mr Wensleydale in the cheese shop sketch.