Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Today's Dysfunctional Rock Band Report: Joey Kramer Sues Aerosmith

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    I have also heard them referred to as "a poor mans Rolling Stones"; however that's better than they deserve. Never understood the overwhelming popularity for the band though, especially all of the accolades for Joe Perry (frequently near the top of best rock guitarist lists) and for Tyler (best vocalist in Rock). It completely misses the mark with me, but that's how the old argument goes about taste in music.
    +1. These poseurs are to the Stones what Oasis is to the Beatles. Vegas seems about right...for both.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Back Where It All Begins is maybe my favorite ABB song

The best version of that song I ever heard was the one they did the first time I saw them, in June of 93. They played about half of the songs that ended up on Where It All Begins, but this was like 9 months before the album even came out. As I recall, Back Where It All Begins had this long improv section in the middle was excised from subsequent arrangement. A lot trippier.

Favorite instrumental- Pegasus
    I've been trying to learn how to play that for years. Would love to be able to play a bunch of those instrumentals, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Joe Perry's been playing flipped Lefty Strats since the late 70's. But he's not the only one. I've seen Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Miller and a number of others have done it too.

Fender has even built right handed guitars that were built around a left handed body and neck. The controls are where they normally are, below the strings, but the body and headstock have the silhouette of the left handed model. And Warmoth makes a body like that too, so presumably people are building "parts" guitars using that body style.

As far as why you would do that, well, there's a couple answers. The obvious thing is you're copying Jimi Hendrix. When Joe Perry was asked about it in Guitar Player back in 1979, he said "Well, Hendrix did it, and you learn from the master".

The other reason is that by switching the strings around, you change the tone of the guitar. By making the wound strings longer behind the nut, you give them a twangier tone. The unwound strings are shorter, and therefore have less tension and are easier to bend. And the strings pass over the bridge pickup differently too, with unwound strings now passing over the pickup further away from the bridge, so there's slightly less treble, and vice versa for the wound strings.

Well, then you're missing out on stuff like this:

Ain't no "country rock" there.
    High Falls is an amazing instrumental! Shades of Two Worlds is my favorite later Allman Brothers album. It's all taste, of course. Some years back, I exchanged emails with David Goldflies, a great bass player, still playing currently. He is the one who told me how nice Dickey was when straight, and how mean he was when not. Volume could have certainly been a factor, but he was fired from the band (by fax) mostly due to his alcohol and drug issues. It was sad Dickey didn't play at the Beacon in 2014. He referred to the band as a tribute band at that time, which was sad to hear. I'm so glad I got to see him in 2012 when his playing was still good, as I said. I hope somehow he can get his skills back, but who knows? It's great to see Derek and Susan doing what they're doing. He is a stand out player. Duane Betts is a good guitarist, but nowhere near Derek. Jack Pearson can play anything. I wish he would come out west, but I doubt it. No ego, just amazing playing. I'll be playing two hours of Allman Brothers tunes February 15. Timeless music. Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    There's a live show from NYC in 1975 that is pretty killer (from the Toys tour). They're still hungry at that point.
    I saw this tour at the Baltimore Civic Center. To my 16-17 yr. old ears, they were GREAT. The next record, Rocks, was their pinnacle and an absolute must for any hard rock fan.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

I've been trying to learn how to play that [Pegasus] for years. Would love to be able to play a bunch of those instrumentals, actually.
    I actually used to play this in a band many years ago. I think we cut out or shortened the weird bridge section. Very cool to do the dual guitar thing though.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    High Falls is an amazing instrumental! Shades of Two Worlds is my favorite later Allman Brothers album. It's all taste, of course. Some years back, I exchanged emails with David Goldflies, a great bass player, still playing currently. He is the one who told me how nice Dickey was when straight, and how mean he was when not. Volume could have certainly been a factor, but he was fired from the band (by fax) mostly due to his alcohol and drug issues.
    Well, one reckons the drinking and drugs were maybe part of why he was too loud onstage. When you're wasted, it's kinda hard to respond appropriately to things like "Ya wanna turn your amp down". I mean, guitarists are notorious for being too loud anyway (in his book, Arthur Barrow talks about how he had to keep asking Steve Vai to turn down when rehearsing with Zappa, to the point that he felt like making a tape loop of himself saying "Steve! Turn it down!" that repeated every five minutes), but it can only get worse when whatever that might allow you to be rational about something is gone.

It was sad Dickey didn't play at the Beacon in 2014. He referred to the band as a tribute band at that time, which was sad to hear. I'm so glad I got to see him in 2012 when his playing was still good, as I said.
    Well, I thought he was great every time I saw the band from 93-98, but I gather the "final straw" came more in line 1999-2000. I only saw him solo once, I think in about 2003 or so, he came through town with the new version of Great Southern. I think he both the Toler brothers (who I believe are both now no longer with us) playing with him. I think Danny Toler was playing a Strat with a guitar synth pickup on it (though the guitar synth pickup was actually disconnected). Anyway, I believe they opened with a full band arrangement of Little Martha, which I had never heard before. That was right around they started doing that business of printing up CD's of a show immediately after the concert, and I bought one, it was a 2 or 3 CD set, I need to dig it out and listen to it again.

lost interest after Toys with the s/t and GYW being the best of the first 3. never heard Rocks but maybe i'll give it a shot.
    no use for them these days.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    lost interest after Toys with the s/t and GYW being the best of the first 3. never heard Rocks but maybe i'll give it a shot.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    sonically speaking, Rocks is probably their most extreme in their first career.

You could be in for a shock if you're expecting Toys 2, but it's definitely my second fave after GYW.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Apparently Kramer is now back in the band and performed in Vegas last night: https://www.loudersound.com/news/wat...bsKcCpsxW5Ot3U

Ooohhh!!, the irony

Just found out yesterday that it's actually Joey Kramer who came up with the band's name, but it was rejected by his previous band, but likedit enough to propose it to his next band (immediately accepted, apparently)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

His other idea was Hydrojones.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    His other idea was Hydrojones.
    that would fit the actual toxic twins' persona to a tee, but he probably wouldn't havet known they would become such jackasses back then.