Thread: Featured album: Tarentel - From Bone To Satellite

Featured album: Tarentel - From Bone To Satellite

http://www.progarchives.com/progress...3023182006.jpg

Tarentel - From Bone To Satellite

Tare.jpg

Tracks Listing:
    1. Steede Bonnet (12:00)
    2. When We Almost Killed Ourselves (12:21)
    3. Ursa Minor, Ursa Major (17:46)
    4. For Carl Sagan (20:57)
    5. Strange Attractors (10:53)

Line-up:
    - Jefre Cantu-Ledesma / guitar, keyboards
    - Danny Grodinski / guitar, keyboards
    - Jonathan Hughes / drums, percussion, keyboards
    - Kenseth Thibideau / bass, guitar, keyboards

Here is what Bamba (from Mexico) had to say about it on ProgArchives
    It was 1999 and the genre called post rock was not very known those days. In 1997 Godspeed made F#A#oo INFINITY and was a hell of an album. In response, two years later Tarentel came out with the famous "From bone to Satellite". Regarded as their most post-rockish album and also accessible to digest; (well its not that easy to digest, but after a couple or more listens it starts to grasp.)

The album starts with "Steede Bonnet" a piece that reminds me the first track in the great "Mi media Naranja" of Labraford. With a rare old west sound, like music for a Sergios Leone movie or something. This track starts slowly, building a melody until the 9 min mark aprox. ( The typical Crescendo in post rock, but very well done).

Then we have "When We Almost Killed Ourselves", That is more aggressive and the crescendos are more intense. It starts very ethereal and suddenly explodes in a very intense progression that leads again in to another soundscape build up, with clean guitars, calm percussions and some keyboards in the background; very beautiful crescendo.

Next comes "Ursa Minor, Ursa Major", and excellent piece. The crescendo its magnificent. It builds up till the 7 min mark. And then the Euphoria starts, its really a very powerful piece (but not heavy at all); then it gets quiet with more clean guitars and great drumming. This track worth the whole album. But there's more.

Next "For Carl Sagan", That speaks for itself. A tribute for the famous astronomer. The piece its very ethereal and spacey, obvious. And it get very dense, could've been shorter , but its 20 min long and you have to be very alert for the changes and little crescendos to get the whole idea behind this giant epic. (Overall good). And Finally "Strange Attractors". In the same line it begins with a repetitive melody that grows until it starts again with a little variation, then a little experimentation and suddenly explodes with great drumming and some distorted guitar but very good Implemented. The track slow down with some spacey keyboards and finally finish almost in silent.

The experience with This album its quite exciting, it will please all the post rock fans and also every proghead will find some very interesting stuff here, so give it a try. Overall 4 stars. Excellent addition to any post rock/ experimental/Krautrock/space prog Collection.

Last edited by Trane; 1 Week Ago at 12:17 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm not an avid fan of post rock, however this album mixes in some interesting instrumental passages with spacey sounds that keeps one's interest during the slow build up to the next crescendo. Very moody and well played. I like it for an extended Sunday morning listening session.

Good (and different) choice for featured album.

Bought this album when it was released and it was the starting point of collecting several releases (CD's and EP's) by Tarantel after this one:
    Tarentel
    From Bone To Satellite
    Travels In Constants - Volume Three
    Mort Aux Vaches
    The Order Of Things
    Ephemera - Singles 99-2000
    Fear Of Bridges

I'm not very much into post rock either, but this band had something I liked in those days.

I never warmed up to Tarentel back at the times and I think they dated badly. They're on the very safe side of post rock and currently I feel easily bored listening to such stuff.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I lobed Post-rock in the later 90's , and I always thought Tarentel should've recorded for the Constellation label (GYBE & offshoot, Do Say Make Think)

Tarentel's debut album is really the only one that is clear I will keep. The others I own (through Weather) are on balance whether to keep or not.

Problem is that GYBE &nd Tarentel's post-rock style was so cloned throughout the 90's that it's lost its uniqueness.
    Last edited by Trane; 4 Days Ago at 05:00 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Problem is that GYBE &nd Tarentel's posrocjhk style was so cloned throughout the 900's that it's lost its uniqueness?
    To me, the addition of a string section in GYBE makes them far more interesting than the guitar based instrumental post rock bands. There was a tendency in the late 90s amongst many indie musicians to plug a guitar in the amp and let the sound of a simple, clean chord travel slowly as the focal point of a 8+ minutes "song" structure. Personally, I was never completely drawn into this musical world, despite how nice it might sound upon first listen.

The only Tarentel album I can lend an ear to nowadays is their more abstract/experimental Ghetto Beats On The Surface Of The Sun.

Speaking of post-rock, I was mostly interested in the electronic (UK/european) version of that style.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS