Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1978 Top Ten Rock

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Agree about Dire Straits and Knopfler; however the amazing thing about DS is that they had that top ten debut with "Sultans" and then became primarily an album only band with no single hits until 1985's "Brothers In Arms" masterpiece LP, which spawned "Money For Nothing", "So Far Away" and "Walk Of Life". I think your point about Knopfler's innovative aspects and the less commercial sounding material off of "Communique'" through "Love Over Gold" did not resonate with the Pop sensibilities of the early 80's. I think those 3 albums contain some of their best stuff and the albums themselves did well on the charts, especially in Europe/UK.
    In Canadian airwaves, Straits never left the headlines, as Communiqué, Solid Rock, Industrial Disease and the awful Twisting By The Pool were always right up the playlist before BIA came in. I don't know how many singles they moved, but it was far from negligeable.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Agree about Dire Straits and Knopfler; however the amazing thing about DS is that they had that top ten debut with "Sultans" and then became primarily an album only band with no single hits until 1985's "Brothers In Arms" masterpiece LP, which spawned "Money For Nothing", "So Far Away" and "Walk Of Life". I think your point about Knopfler's innovative aspects and the less commercial sounding material off of "Communique'" through "Love Over Gold" did not resonate with the Pop sensibilities of the early 80's. I think those 3 albums contain some of their best stuff and the albums themselves did well on the charts, especially in Europe/UK.
    You have done a good job characterizing DS popularity, but that popularity of Brothers in Arms was gross IMO because of MTV and radio saturation.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Here is what I actually listened to a lot
    I left off all things progressive from my list
    had I included the progressive stuff my list woulda been too long, so I stuck to Pop Rock/Funk
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

My mainstream top 10 "rock" songs from 1978 were:

Runnin' With The Devil -Van Halen
    Because The Night -Patti Smith
    Who Are You -The Who
    Roxanne -Police
    Sultans Of Swing -Dire Straits
    Heart Of Glass -Blondie
    One Nation Under A Groove -Funkadelic
    Rock Lobster -B-52's
    Das Model -Kraftwerk
    Teenage Kicks -Undertones

very close:
    Dreadlock Holiday -10cc
    Hot Blooded -Foreigner
    Fat Bottomed Girls -Queen
    Hold The Line -Toto
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    You have done a good job characterizing DS popularity, but that popularity of Brothers in Arms was gross IMO because of MTV and radio saturation.
    Agreed. When I think back, the DS songs that I gravitated toward were things like "Skateaway", "Industrial Disease", and "Lady Writer" -- what I consider the more XTC-ish side of DS. When Brothers in Arms came along I was happy for the success it brought them but it was also the poster child of how MTV could make anything a success given enough push. Sort of like what happened a couple years earlier with the Police and Synchronicity.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Agreed. When I think back, the DS songs that I gravitated toward were things like "Skateaway", "Industrial Disease", and "Lady Writer" -- what I consider the more XTC-ish side of DS. When Brothers in Arms came along I was happy for the success it brought them but it was also the poster child of how MTV could make anything a success given enough push. Sort of like what happened a couple years earlier with the Police and Synchronicity.
    We are in general concurrence here, as you just named 3 of my favorite DS cuts. However, I think that the title cut from "Brothers In Arms" was excellent and somewhat 'proggy'. And despite it's overplayed aspect, "Money For Nothing" is a guilty pleasure with me, for the humorous lyrics and Knopfler guitar picking. Also thought "One World" was a great song that didn't get the saturation treatment and still sounds good today. Their final studio album contained "Heavy Fuel", which I liked a lot.

Their final studio album contained "Heavy Fuel", which I liked a lot.
    Yeah, I've gotten lots of listening pleasure from On Every Street over the years. I never understood why it was so quickly dismissed when it came out. "Calling Elvis" is definitely in that "Lady Writer"/"Expresso Love" mold of great DS rockers.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Well, if you look at the Billboard Top Ten "hits" from 1978, you'll gladly accept the AXS top ten chart from that show. I think that AXS has someone compile those lists from some sort of audience feedback survey. I agree that the VH version of that Kinks hit certainly is not deserving of top status (only the guitar into interests me). Of course, nothing beats Debby Boone's classic or Boogie, Oogie, Oogie, by the Taste Of Honey!

Billboard Top Ten - 1978
    1. Shadow Dancing - Andy Gibb
    2. Night Fever - The Bee Gees
    3. You Light Up My Life - Debby Boone
    4. Stayin' Alive - The Bee Gees
    5. Kiss You All Over - Exile
    6. How Deep Is Your Love - The Bee Gees
    7. Baby Come Back - Player
    8. (Love Is) Thicker Than Water - Andy Gibb
    9. Boogie Oogie Oogie - A Taste Of Honey
    10. Three Times a Lady - The Commodores
    Welcome to my senior year HS. And my siblings always wondered why I liked weird stuff, like Pink Floyd, early Genesis and especially Tangerine Dream. Well folks, above is exhibit 'A'. I had to cleanse my musical soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    And the increasing sales of CD players. Much in the same way that people bought Dark Side of the Moon in order to show off their new hi-fi system.