Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neglected Genres: Rock Music Done by Classical Ensembles

Neglected Genres: Rock Music Done by Classical Ensembles

There’s @ very, very good reason it’s ignored, imo.

Ymmv.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'd have to agree with Uncle Steve.

When a classical ensemble plays actual rock, you usually get the weak points of both: compositionally slender music played without the energy and specific timbres it needs to work. With that said, some prog might work with that treatment, but only some of it. The majority of it probably won't; at best, it might sound like student compositions.

Yeah but Kronos really TRIES.

There's a version of Kraftwerk's Autobahn done by the Balanescu Quartet; only five minutes or so, but it rapidly outstays its welcome.

David Palmer's albums that have symphonies playing Jethro Tull, Genesis, Pink Floyd and Yes were mostly very well done. But perhaps the best is the Ensemble Modern doing Zappa music (old and new) in the Yellow Shark. Check out their version of G-Spot Tornado, a piece that Zappa thought was too complicated for humans to play (originally recorded by Zappa on his synclavier). Try to ignore the dancers if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

Ymmv.
    And yet some Classical Ensembles can come up with marvelous pieces of music. Take, for exemple, the Argentinian ensemble called La Máquina Cinemática:

Hey, that's really nice stuff. Thanks for the H.U.!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Neglected? It's at least worth a few minutes of attention but like any novelty, gets old fast.

The most famous act Bond went kaput when the 1st violinist decided to be a full time mum. She too apparently grew tired of the novelty.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Well, that "being a mom" thing will wear pretty thin too.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    But perhaps the best is the Ensemble Modern doing Zappa music (old and new) in the Yellow Shark. Check out their version of G-Spot Tornado, a piece that Zappa thought was too complicated for humans to play (originally recorded by Zappa on his synclavier). Try to ignore the dancers if you can.

But I think we are dealing with a slightly different phenomenon, here - how much of the music on Yellow Shark was rock music as the term is conventionally understood to begin with...? Music by a 'rock musician', sure...

In similar - but a little rockier and more accessible - spirit, Mike Keneally's collaboration with Metropole Orkest, The Universe Will Provide, is tremendously good.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    But I think we are dealing with a slightly different phenomenon, here - how much of the music on Yellow Shark was rock music as the term is conventionally understood to begin with...? Music by a 'rock musician', sure...

In similar - but a little rockier and more accessible - spirit, Mike Keneally's collaboration with Metropole Orkest, The Universe Will Provide, is tremendously good.
    I would consider all of the old Zappa on the Yellow Shark to be either jazz or rock perhaps recomposed for small orchestra (Dog Breath/Uncle Meat, Be-bop Tango, Pound for a Brown, Exercise 4 and G-Spot. True, all the new stuff is neo-classical.

You know, some things are neglected for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Yeah but Kronos really TRIES.
    ...and there is an exception to every rule.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    But perhaps the best is the Ensemble Modern doing Zappa music (old and new) in the Yellow Shark. Check out their version of G-Spot Tornado, a piece that Zappa thought was too complicated for humans to play (originally recorded by Zappa on his synclavier).
    You’re mis-remembering, it was “The Girl in the Magnesium Dress” that Zappa deemed unfit for human hands...until he discovered that the Ensemble Modern had already devised an arrangement for human players!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Well, that "being a mom" thing will wear pretty thin too.
    Which further illustrates my point. Had she been involved in more substantial music, she would've been far less inclined to give it all up for the domestic goddess role.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Does this count?

While I agree with others that "classical" covers of existing rock songs tends to have mostly a short-term novelty value, it's always surprised me that string quartet-based original rock/pop music inspired by "Eleanor Rigby" didn't become more of a thing.

Good point. How many other songs can you name by "rock bands" that were sung over a string quartet?

The albums that Jaz Coleman (Killing Joke) made of symphonic treatments of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd had some decent treatments.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Yeah...

Not a fan of this 'genre' at all.

For the most part, it come off sounding cheesy, to my ears.

I can't help think of the old SNL Will Ferrell Anna Gasteyer sketch of Marty and Bobbi Culp, singing duet of Sly and the Family Stone’s “Everyday People" in their overly prim and proper way. Only difference is, that was cheesy for laughs.

And don't get me started on that 2 Cellos vid of them doing "Smells Like Teen Spirit". That stuff comes off like that overblown "Celtic Women" or "Trans-Siberian Express" crap. With the overly flashy and dramatic posing while playing. These guys aren't quite a bad as the other 2 acts I mentioned, but close.

This 'genre' comes off like an attempt to get middle aged conservative (not referring to politics) parents to act cool because, "Hey, I like rock", or it comes off like a chance for non-classical fans to act sophisticated because, "See, I'm listening to classical music".

There are a few exceptions, but I can't put my finger on the reason why they work. Like the orchestral version of Tarkus. Still not my thing, but it doesn't sound cheesy to me.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    There are a few exceptions, but I can't put my finger on the reason why they work. Like the orchestral version of Tarkus. Still not my thing, but it doesn't sound cheesy to me.
    Maybe because Emerson had enough influence from classical music, enough of a feel for it, and enough by-ear and by-playing-it understanding of its structure and harmony that "Tarkus" already worked as a sort of minor classical piece. Orchestrating it just took what was already there and ran with it - it wasn't an attempt to make something into what it was never supposed to be. Of course, it also depends on how good the orchestrator was, and "Tarkus" may have had a better one than some of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

Ymmv.
    Most of the time, but not allways... this one goes way beyond the original version and really ROCKS ! (look at the conductor jumping at the end !). Unfortunately only a truncated (edited) version available on YT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    this one goes way beyond the original version and really ROCKS !
    Quote Originally Posted by simon moon
    There are a few exceptions, like the orchestral version of Tarkus. Still not my thing, but it doesn't sound cheesy to me.
    Yes, very nice! I hadn't heard this before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer
    Maybe because Emerson had enough influence from classical music, enough of a feel for it, and enough by-ear and by-playing-it understanding of its structure and harmony that "Tarkus" already worked as a sort of minor classical piece. Orchestrating it just took what was already there and ran with it - it wasn't an attempt to make something into what it was never supposed to be. Of course, it also depends on how good the orchestrator was, and "Tarkus" may have had a better one than some of the others.
    All good explanations. Emerson was a very Copland-esque composer (see @6:00 above) and the orchestrator here did an excellent job of making it sound like classical music and not just an elevator music version of a 4-piece band.

Good point. How many other songs can you name by "rock bands" that were sung over a string quartet?
    Does Elvis Costello and the Brodsky Quartet - The Juliet Letters count?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still think this is a superb version of Queen. Kudos to the Quartet.

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/