Thread: Deantoni Parks 'Prog on the Prairie'

Deantoni Parks 'Prog on the Prairie'

An interesting take on mixing prog and country by drum maestro Deantoni Parks - who has drummed for the likes of The Mars Volta, Flying Lotus, Thundercat, Meshell Ndegeocello, John Cale...

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B6YgdJ3HmP7/

He just released a new album 'Silver Cord' that's on streaming services today - I'd recommend the tracks Tears In Rain 1 & 2, Outransient, Axxxl & Saffronshine!

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    An interesting take on mixing prog and country by drum maestro Deantoni Parks....
    Interesting stuff indeed, although it sounds more like something from out on the experimental edge of hip-hop than anything resembling prog or country.

^^^What he said.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

When to if Mars Volta returns i hope it's NOT him drumming.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    When to if Mars Volta returns i hope it's NOT him drumming.
    check him out with Omar in a more pure prog context - he is absolutely one of the most impressive and inspiring drummers i've ever heard when playing in a more "traditional" style

and his jazz fusion project Kudu has some of the best drumming ever laid down on record, period! in my eyes.

Interesting clip, thanks. I feel he would make a good collaborator for Robert Glasper.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    check him out with Omar in a more pure prog context - he is absolutely one of the most impressive and inspiring drummers i've ever heard when playing in a more "traditional" style

and his jazz fusion project Kudu has some of the best drumming ever laid down on record, period! in my eyes.

I like that first clip. Omar's discography is much too large (and from when I was trying to pay attention to it) and much to disappointing for me to really pay attention. Where can I find things like that in that quagmire?
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I like that first clip. Omar's discography is much too large (and from when I was trying to pay attention to it) and much to disappointing for me to really pay attention. Where can I find things like that in that quagmire?
    The 2009-2010 era has some gems I think you'll like!

For a live gig from this same tour or around that time, check out Dōitashimashite (2010)
    Solar Gambling (2009), Cizaña de los Amores (2010), Xenophanes (2009) are studio albums of very high quality from the time - all song oriented and all very cohesive albums

Of his more recent batch of releases (2016-2017), I would recommend checking out Zen Thrills, Cell Phone Bikini, El Bien Y Mal Nos Une, Umbrella Mistress, Blind Worms Pious Swine, Sworn Virgins, Zapopan. It is a lot of albums, yes! But these ones are all quite cohesive, song oriented, and highly enjoyable different styles to each other and in his discography.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    The 2009-2010 era has some gems I think you'll like!

For a live gig from this same tour or around that time, check out Dōitashimashite (2010)
    Solar Gambling (2009), Cizaña de los Amores (2010), Xenophanes (2009) are studio albums of very high quality from the time - all song oriented and all very cohesive albums

Of his more recent batch of releases (2016-2017), I would recommend checking out Zen Thrills, Cell Phone Bikini, El Bien Y Mal Nos Une, Umbrella Mistress, Blind Worms Pious Swine, Sworn Virgins, Zapopan. It is a lot of albums, yes! But these ones are all quite cohesive, song oriented, and highly enjoyable different styles to each other and in his discography.
    Hmm...I'm not really sure how that first vid can be considered 'song oriented'. (That's not usually my thing either)

But thanks, ill poke around a couple of those albums (if I can find samples somewhere) and see where it leads me.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.