Thread: Moonshot - Worlds Of Yesterday

Moonshot - Worlds Of Yesterday

Curated and annotated by Tim Bowness, Worlds Of Yesterday (1971-1992) is the first official compilation of legendary Warringtonian Prog Rockers Moonshot since 1979ís Shot Hits.
    From the Crimson-esque grandeur of The Sweetest Bitter Pill to the pastoral beauty of Before That Before, via the warped creativity of Lost In The Ghost Light and engaging Pop of Stupid Things That Mean The World, the album ably demonstrates that while Moonshot may not have reached the commercial heights of celebrated peers such as Genesis, Pink Floyd, or Yes, they were arguably one of the best of the chasing pack and fully deserve to be named alongside the likes of Gentle Giant, Camel, Greenslade, The Yorkshire Parkin Experiment, PFM, Prawn, Ange and others.
    Worlds Of Yesterday is a fine testament to a fine band.

Enough of the home improvements, Mr. Irving Coleridge, but what is this Yorkshire Parkin Experiment?

Vocalist sounds a little like David Longdon from Big Big Train. Nice symphonic prog. I have never heard of them before. Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by abhorsen View Post
    Vocalist sounds a little like David Longdon from Big Big Train. Nice symphonic prog. I have never heard of them before. Thanks for posting!
    It's actually Tim Bowness. Moonshot is a fictional band from his concept album Lost In The Ghost Light.

Good stuff too.

That Bowness album was great!!!
    Prog's Not Dead

I will like to know where are your albums since 1971- 1992. no information nowhere of this band. No discogs..no Progarchives....

Quote Originally Posted by tonissive View Post
    I will like to know where are your albums since 1971- 1992. no information nowhere of this band. No discogs..no Progarchives....
    It's a fictional band - music was written as part of Tim Bowness' "Lost in the Ghost Light" as noted above.

Most of the songs are on that album or "Stupid Things That Mean the World" - there may be one or two that are new to this one. There was a limited edition companion album to "Lost" that I never got so they might be on that.

It's a Good Thing I Don't Have Super Brain Powers Or You'd All Be In A Thousand Little Pieces Right Now (Forever Einstein).

They really put quite an effort into this - it's very cool.

http://www.moonshotband.co.uk/

And it looks like they've put a band together to play it live - doesn't look like Tim is involved but I could be wrong.

http://www.moonshotband.co.uk/album-...-1st-feb-2020/

Sadly, I really wish I could go to this .

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Enough of the home improvements, Mr. Irving Coleridge, but what is this Yorkshire Parkin Experiment?
    Blimey! That was a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Blimey! That was a long time ago.
    CDs are long lived.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by tonissive View Post
    It is indeed a fictional band invented by Tim Bowness for his solo album Lost in The Ghost Light. The vocalist is actually John Wilkinson of Genesis tribute band Mama. The idea was that Tim asked them to record some of his songs as if Genesis had recorded them in the 1970's. When I first heard it I had no idea what was going on, didn't think it sounded like Tim on vocals, sounded more like Phil Collins...then I Googled for more info...great idea for an album, looking forward to getting the album.

Assuming the song in the OP is representative, if the aim was to try for an album that has the mid-late 70s Genesis sound, he certainly hit the mark. It's nice enough, but if you had told me this was from a recent Big Big Train album, I wouldn't have batted an eye.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Assuming the song in the OP is representative, if the aim was to try for an album that has the mid-late 70s Genesis sound, he certainly hit the mark. It's nice enough, but if you had told me this was from a recent Big Big Train album, I wouldn't have batted an eye.
    You might not have heard enough by Big Big Train then.

These are songs from Tim Bowness' previous albums that have been given a different spin to sound like they might have come out in decades past.

The version of "Stupid Things That Mean The World" on here sounds like an 80s song, for example.
    Last edited by aith01; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:13 PM.

The idea of a fictional band reminds me of the project ImmRam and the album The Voyage Of The Corvus Corrone based on some old tapes that were found somewhere.

See also: Masayo Asaharaís legendary experimental LPs St Agnes Fountain and St Catherine Torment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    See also: Masayo Asahara’s legendary experimental LPs St Agnes Fountain and St Catherine Torment.
    And Thinkman?

I got the cd today, 60 minutes+ long and really I enjoyed it even on a first listen. Sometimes it sounds like Gabriel and sometimes like Collins depending on which year the track pretends to come from. There's one track supposedly from 1981 which sounds very much in the vein of Turn It On Again or Abacab, otherwise its more 70's Genesis style complete with a final instrumental with a kind of Los Endos feel. If you wanted to hear a tribute band record new music in the style of their heroes then this is it. I would have thought many on here would be interested to hear this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Curated and annotated by Tim Bowness, Worlds Of Yesterday (1971-1992) is the first official compilation of legendary Warringtonian Prog Rockers Moonshot since 1979ís Shot Hits.
    From the Crimson-esque grandeur of The Sweetest Bitter Pill to the pastoral beauty of Before That Before, via the warped creativity of Lost In The Ghost Light and engaging Pop of Stupid Things That Mean The World, the album ably demonstrates that while Moonshot may not have reached the commercial heights of celebrated peers such as Genesis, Pink Floyd, or Yes, they were arguably one of the best of the chasing pack and fully deserve to be named alongside the likes of Gentle Giant, Camel, Greenslade, The Yorkshire Parkin Experiment, PFM, Prawn, Ange and others.
    Worlds Of Yesterday is a fine testament to a fine band.

Thanks for post Steve983. I'm really loving this song.

Hi all.

John here from Moonshot.

Just wanted to say thanks for all your kind comments about the album.

To clarify what the heck is going on check out an interview on our website

www.moonshotband.co.uk

Also you may be interested that some famous faces can be found here talking about us... 😉

https://youtu.be/8JZWIRDVJZY

Legendary band. It's a shame that Thotch got more exposure.
    Moonshot's reputation probably suffered a bit from Jeff Harrison's penchant for wearing leopard skin outfits.
    It's great that the music lives on.
    Last edited by Interstellar; 2 Days Ago at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Wilkinson View Post
    Hi all.

John here from Moonshot.

Just wanted to say thanks for all your kind comments about the album.

To clarify what the heck is going on check out an interview on our website

www.moonshotband.co.uk

Also you may be interested that some famous faces can be found here talking about us... ��

https://youtu.be/8JZWIRDVJZY
    Welcome John, and good that you found this thread. I can't help thinking this album deserves a bit more publicity, I'm sure many more would like it if they even knew it existed!

Hi Steve.
    We pushing it as hard as we can.
    We have our video for Stupid Things out on Monday in Prog Mag...
    We looking for people to spread the word so if you fancy helping.... 😏
    Thanks for the kind words and glad you enjoyed the album