Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yes Gets a Taste of The Onion

Yes Gets a Taste of The Onion

Or maybe it should be "The Onion Gets a Taste of Yes."

It's very short, so I thought I would share it here. It's a story headlined "Scientists Still Unable To Determine Whether Yes A Good Band." The punchline is priceless.

https://www.theonion.com/scientists-...source=Faceboo
    Last edited by Mark Newman; 01-16-2020 at 10:13 AM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The best thing about that is the name “Loach.” Only a stoner has that last name.

I thought it was a lazy and unoriginal piece of satire. I'm surprised anyone from this site found that noteworthy

I liked the Onion article about Jon's lyrics being used to start a new religion. That one was funny. This one? Not so much...
    The Prog Corner

It made me laugh... They effectively satirized the endless waffling by music critics about whether Yes is great or terrible.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
    I thought it was a lazy and unoriginal piece of satire. I'm surprised anyone from this site found that noteworthy
    My Onion rule of thumb is that you cant get your best bang for your buck if you simply read the headlines and look at any pictures or infographics, and skip the articles.

Scientists only believe in grants, i guess the check bounced.

Quote Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
    The premise was good but there really wasn't much funny about it. The one thing I learned - Close to the Edge is about witches. Who knew?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Meh whatever. Get off my lawn!

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I liked the Onion article about Jon's lyrics being used to start a new religion. That one was funny. This one? Not so much...
    Almost 23 years ago, but still f***ing hilarious:
    https://www.theonion.com/yes-lyrics-...ent-1819564208
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I'm not one to give Yes a universal pass, but this is just flatulence. Whoever wrote it should be embarrassed. He/she probably thought that it was a layup. But they're safe in the knowledge that only a few will look at it and find it substandard.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Almost 23 years ago, but still f***ing hilarious:
    https://www.theonion.com/yes-lyrics-...ent-1819564208
    The Onion said:
    "The messages in the YesScriptures are rarely clear and almost always of questionable morality," said Michael Fox, chair of Yale University's Divinity School. "While Christ's message may seem obvious when, in Howe 3:16, He sayeth unto James the Lesser: 'Owner of a lonely heart, yea, much better than thee, O owner of a broken heart,' it is possible that this passage contains intended irony on the part of the Savior, and that the verse actually signifies a message of profound sympathy for the broken-hearted heart-owners of Mankind."
    Howe 3:16? From the Book of Howe? For "Owner of a Lonely Heart"? I would not believe anything that man says about Yes.

"Owner of a Lonely Heart" is, of course, from the Book of Rabin.

Is there anything more prog fan than a thread critiquing a satirical story about a prog band?

I thought it was humorous.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Howe 3:16? From the Book of Howe? For "Owner of a Lonely Heart"? I would not believe anything that man says about Yes.

"Owner of a Lonely Heart" is, of course, from the Book of Rabin.
    As if that was the biggest faux pas. You can only discuss true Yes religion if you include Jon Anderson as the supreme deity. I know, I have been reading the texts of the priests for years now.

Epic fail.

ROFLMAO at the punch line!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    ROFLMAO at the punch line!
    It must be some consolation to Yes that they are no longer the poster child/punching bag for prog hatred. That honor now belongs to ELP (although I guess it alway sort of was...)
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    It must be some consolation to Yes that they are no longer the poster child/punching bag for prog hatred. That honor now belongs to ELP (although I guess it alway sort of was...)
    Well, they certainly did themselves no favors with those Works Vol 1 & 2 albums.

And I still love ELP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    Is there anything more prog fan than a thread critiquing a satirical story about a prog band?
    It really is peak prog fan.

Until somebody critiques your post about prog fans critiquing a satirical story about a prog band.

Only on PE would so many be so uptight by so little.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    It's the Genesis trio in most circles that I know of. Albums like Invisible Turd & We Can't Dace cemented their position as an prog band not to be taken musically too seriously. Still have the reviews and remember the hate that ensued from fans and press alike. And Phil Collon's solo sealed the deal.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Only on PE would so many be so uptight by so little.
    Yup & Yup
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    This article did at least reach its target audience, so in that respect it's a success.