Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What Rush Are You Playing?

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    The only thing I've found so far on the Mansfield show is that it's soundboard and "raw source", whatever that truly means. "The Analog Kid" was played on the Counterparts tour. The source could be anything, but "Nuts and Bolts" from Madison, WI is the best of the Counterparts boots, so maybe it's from there (https://www.digitalrushexperience.co...cordingID=1421). Dunno
    It is definitely not sourced from the 04/02/1994 Madison, Wisconsin recording but it probably is from the Counterparts tour. The sound mix is very full and clear and it is mixed similarly to the Different Stages release with the bass panned right and the guitar panned left. I recall someone in the band saying they mixed the album that way as a tribute to The Who-Live At Leeds. “The Analog Kid” doesn’t appear on any edition of Different Stages, which had performances from 1994 and 1997 tours along with the 1978 disc. The Japan bonus track is “Force Ten”. So I’m wondering if “The Analog Kid” is an outtake, a mix prepared for Different Stages that was left off the release. That brings me back around to speculating that the source for the Mansfield boot is a leak from Rush’s archives.
    Last edited by Frumious B; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:14 AM.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Not Rush but been listening to that JR Flood demo. It's good. Why hasn't been released, mastered , etc? It kinda sounds like early Chicago but without horns. I think it's pretty good. I'd buy it. Worth owning.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Anybody else ever view their albums in pairs? With the exception of the s/t LP (really stands on its own), then you have:

Rush/Fly (these 2 may be the most different from each other but sill have some similarities)
    Caress/2112
    Kings/Hemispheres
    Waves/Pictures
    Signals/Grace
    Windows/Fire
    Presto/Bones
    (at least that far for me....)

This is only imo of course. Each "pair" seems to complement each other, and there is a nice progression between the two. The next "Pair" always seem to have a fairly big shift stylistically, sonics, etc but I guess Caress and 2112 also contain similarities. I could be wrong too - it's not the 1st time
    I mostly agree with this. Signals - Power Windows is a 3fer for me. Then there's another group with everything post-Power Windows. My favorite period is Kings-Power Windows. The rest just gloms together in my mind.

Just got done listening to "Signals" and "Grace Under Pressure." It's been MANY years since I last listened to them and my opinions have remained unchanged.

Both are great albums in their own right. I've always maintained that "Signals" was their maturity as artists. However, while I considered the previous five albums to be clear progressions (and prefer them all more), I still consider "Signals," as more of a landing than another progression. "Grace Under Pressure" seems a bit of a retreat with less reliance on the keys, although, at this point, they were becoming a bit more formulaic.
    Last edited by ronmac; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:59 PM.
    Orange is the new stupid.

^^^ That Billy Sheehan video reminds me of a funny quote I heard from Paul Gilbert in a DVD commentary, where he talks about Mr. Big touring with Rush, and someone suggesting on the final night of the tour that they should surprise them and come out on stage to play with them. His response was "Rush doesn't strike me as the kind of band who like to be surprised."
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

^^ That's a pretty cool jam. I've never heard that.

Today I played Rush in Rio. Not really my favorite.

Listening to 2112 on Progrock.com right now.

New upload! This vid has "Lock and Key," which isn't on the DVD or VHS release. He remastered the audio from the LD, too. Geddy's bass sounds rad!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    New upload! This vid has "Lock and Key," which isn't on the DVD or VHS release. He remastered the audio from the LD, too. Geddy's bass sounds rad!

This is the sort of thing that makes my video download software so crucial.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I picked this up (iTunes) based on recs in this thread. I've only listened once so far, it's a high-energy show and I basically enjoyed it, but it suffers from that "wall of sound" eq & mixing that seemed to dominate rock music around then - a barrage of lower midrange frequencies with not enough clarity and separation. I listened to part of it on my AirPods at the gym, part on my car stereo, and part on my home av system with good speakers. It did get progressively better over those three environments, but an album should still sound decent on low-end or portable devices. As far as the show itself, I like the acoustic rendition of "Resist" a lot better than the version on Test for Echo, the weird little free-form Alex segment on that tour is kind-of fun and different, and it's nice to hear some lesser-played stuff like "Between Sun & Moon" and "By-Tor and the Snow Dog" (post-'70s, anyway).

Heard the whole JR Flood thing on YouTube. Good, jammy, organ rock. Dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    The crowd noise on that video is simply intolerable, in my opinion. Instead, I opted to watch the Clockwork Angels video a few nights ago.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Probably the next CD will be "Grace Under Pressure Tour Soundtrack", which is part of the 3-DVD-set "Replay X 3" featuring "Exit Stage Left", "Grace Under Pressure Tour" and "A Show Of Hands".

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    The crowd noise on that video is simply intolerable, in my opinion. Instead, I opted to watch the Clockwork Angels video a few nights ago.
    Alex has mention that they had serious technical issues with the sound of that recording.

Are there any good boots from the Clockwork Angels Tour?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    True, but that crowd was absolutely bonkers. I would guess that was one of the most boisterous, enthusiastic audiences Rush has ever played for. I think that is part of what makes the Rush In Rio DVD unique.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Are there any good boots from the Clockwork Angels Tour?
    Yes. I have a good one from Philly.
    Chad

I enjoyed Caress of Steel this afternoon with a beer. It made me quite emotional again, looking back at that 16 year old me who got lost in the wonderful world of music and lyrics of Rush, Yes & Genesis in the late 70's and how it all still means so much to me now 40 years later. Perhaps it's nostalgia but it feels like more than that, there's a strong emotional bond I have with this music and the passing of Neil has brought it sharply into focus. Its made me realise that though I've bought hundreds of albums since then that most of it doesn't hold a candle to the classics from those days.

I see the R40 compilation is OOP. Are there any other Rush DVDs that are no longer available?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I see the R40 compilation is OOP. Are there any other Rush DVDs that are no longer available?
    I'm pretty sure Replay x3 is OOP now, glad I got that one when it came out. (It's Exit Stage Left, Grace Under Pressure, A Show Of Hands DVDs with 5.1 mixes as well as a bonus CD of the Grace Under Pressure tour soundtrack.)
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Chronicles may be OOP too.
    Chad

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Just stumbled across this. Never heard it before. Hard to believe that Neil had only been in the band a month when this was recorded.

Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

How much of the OOP is temporary, due to Neil? I heard that Rush plays are up something like 28000 percent, something ridiculous like that. Lats night I started playing Closer to the heart and a guy got up and yelled in my mic - "NEIL PURT!!! (sic) REST IN PEACE!!! and a bunch of people applauded...

I hope they restock and sell a ton more.
    I got nothin'

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/PapaYode...=page_internal