Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Rush Are You Playing?

What Rush Are You Playing?

There's a thread with this title on the Hoffman forum but hell, this is a natural for us. Me, I've been running through the live albums and CMFA. I'm going to make a run through the 80s albums soon but that's going to be difficult - a lot of those lyrics are going to hurt.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    There's a thread with this title on the Hoffman forum but hell, this is a natural for us. Me, I've been running through the live albums and CMFA. I'm going to make a run through the 80s albums soon but that's going to be difficult - a lot of those lyrics are going to hurt.
    I was shocked at his death as everyone, but he has given us great lyrics to think about until we also die.

"Feedback" and "Clockwork Angels," largely because they're the ONLY Rush albums I haven't played to death. I'm not exactly wild about "Clockwork Angels" but it's growing on me more. And they actually do a damn good job on those covers!
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I was shocked at his death as everyone, but he has given us great lyrics to think about until we also die.

Right to the heart of the matter
    Right to the beautiful part
    Illusions are painfully shattered
    Right where discovery starts
    In the secret wells of emotion
    Buried deep in our hearts

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I’ve listened to whatever’s come on Sirius XM, and rewatched the Across the Lighted Stage doc today.

I’m kind of thankful the news broke Friday so we could all collectively take some time to process the news. I was absorbed with some family stuff recently and my family wasn’t too tuned in to the fact that I was pretty sad, but to be honest I was being distant and spending more time with online community. Overall it’s been sad but strangely unifying - it was one way to ignore all the crazy and terrible news lately.

Today it was Signals (my favorite Rush album) and part of the Clockwork Angles tour video, which I'd never watched before.

I was working through the whole Rush catalogue before the sad news was announced. Just watched the Exit Stage Left DVD which I think was the first concert VHS I bought back in the 80's - great stuff. I just have Clockwork Angels left to go now. The thing that stands out about Rush is that I can play their music again and again and never get tired of it.

Sticking to the two albums I still enjoy; Permanent Waves and (parts of) A Farewell to Kings.

I'll be spinning both again over hooch this weekend.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The only ones they haven't lost their impact on me: Caress of Steel, Hemispheres, side A of 2112 and some of Fly by Night.

Permanent Waves and A Farewell to Kings are in my top 3, but having played them hundreds of times has taken its toll on my listening choices.

I'm working my way through the catalogue, one album a day.

I just tune out everything else for those 40 minutes, and savour the music, and discover nuances I'd not appreciated before.

Even 40 years on....

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I’ve been skipping around the whole catalog. There are certainly some albums I prefer to others, but IMHO they were pretty consistent. Even at their weakest it seems like they always delivered a baseline level of quality and never fell off the rails and plunged into the depths the way other long running bands do.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Been playing Rush In Rio & Beyond The Lighted Stage DVDs, Clockwork Angels, Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves & 2112 in honor of 'The Professor'.

Did a bunch of bouncing around but doing Fly By Night, Caress, and 2112 a few times as well. I always view those three as a trilogy (of sorts) and the recorded sound they captured is some of my favorite on any Rush record. Neil's kit sounds so damn GOOD on Fly By Night - kick and snare have nice punch and depth, and those toms really are tuned well and ring out. Alex's guitars also sound unbelievably great, as does Ged's Ric. Just great engineering.

I also have to admit that I find some of the post-Roll The Bones albums not my cuppa - there are tracks sprinkled throughout that I dig but the magic recipe got diluted somewhat to my ears. "Animate" is a monstrous tune though and that tune always brings me back to living in Birmingham, UK in the fall of '93 and hitting the pubs, pints, curries, and hash
    Last edited by chalkpie; 01-16-2020 at 07:14 AM.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

The eons are closing
    I listen to whatever the Gods of Randomness bring on the shuffle play.

However, walking around, I have been singing Presto in my head for some reason.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I think I will have revisited their entire catalog before I'm done mourning Neil, but some of the later ones will probably be a chore. Roll the Bones, Test for Echo, and Snakes and Arrows in particular are albums that I find tedious and rarely listen to. Who knows, though, maybe they will pleasantly surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    I'm working my way through the catalogue, one album a day.
    Me too. Started with Fly by night, then Caress of steel, yesterday it was 2112, today All the world is a stage

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by olias View Post
    Today it was Signals (my favorite Rush album) and part of the Clockwork Angles tour video, which I'd never watched before.
    I forgot I started with Signals while just sitting in the car.

I started with Fly By Night and was going to work my way up then i got distracted and went for the Clockwork Angels Live and R30 recordings and bounced back to Signals and cant wait to play Roll The Bones and Clockwork Angels studio at high volume.

If anyone is needing a palette cleanse i would suggest this:

All The World's A Stage- their best live album for me. (Admittedly the most recent one I've heard or rather seen is Rush In Rio!*) This has most of their best work up to that point, and on 'By-Tor...', even some improvements on the studio arrangement. Not something subsequent live albums would be noted for.

A Farewell To Kings- their first really great album IMHO. 'Xanadu' is probably still my favourite track of theirs. The moment where that guitar riff kicks in remains one of the highlights of the genre for me.

*An observation on Rush In Rio...do people feel this was around the time their 'reappraisal' began? I remember reading a fair bit about the way that Brazilian crowd reacted to this show, as if people were somehow surprised by this.

Haven't really been into Rush in a long time but I have ATWAS saved in YouTube for streaming. Only heard the opening track. Will listen to the rest over the weekend.

I have accepted and moved on but last Saturday at the beer store (I work in a beer store on Saturdays...) I was wearing my Flight By Night shirt and had the following albums in shuffle:

A Farewell To Kings
    Hemisphers
    Permanent Waves
    Moving Pictures
    Grace Under Pressure
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Mostly listening to mixes of various eras of the band, but Clockwork Angels is one I’ve been listening to alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Think I'm Going Bald on repeat
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

When he died i found myself just putting all 25+ releases on random...and crying here and there...this morning was a bit of Power Windows and live versions of Bravado.