Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What Rush Are You Playing?

Been listening to a ton of Rush in the last week, but largely drawn from my favourite period (Signals through Presto). But I think the whole catalogue other than the debut and Feedback has graced my stereo recently.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Tull? They may have best run period imo.
    I was thinking The Beatles, actually.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Tull? They may have best run period imo.
    The mid-late '80s through the early '90s weren't as kind to Tull as they were to Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    LOL Dog Years or Witch Hunt
    Both great songs!

I got T4E in a trade here on PE years ago. I like a few songs a lot, well produced, but it's mostly forgettable. Dog Years is awful....

Just played Power Windows on the main living room system. Sparkling production on that one.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Permanent waves
    I think this is the first Rush album where the synths are getting more upfront.

It was the first Rush album I heard.
    Last edited by Rarebird; 01-19-2020 at 04:12 AM.

I hadn't played any Rush since hearing the news, until today. Cranked A Farewell to Kings. Still dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Both great songs!
    When I heard Alex and Geddy discuss T4E on Rockline and "Dog Years" was played, I thought it was some kind of prank and after a minute just a really bad song. But as with a lot of Rush, you may not get it until the fourth listen. It's a very good song with very good lyrics and an incredible bridge.

I just played Dog Years. Great chugging, crunchy guitar in the intro, and that's about it. The chorus is what ruins it for me. T4E isn't a great Rush album but it's not a bad rock album overall. I think I might prefer it over Counterparts ( sorta).

Played "Vapor Trails" while working out today. Not my favorite Rush album, but it was a solid comeback after the tragedy.

Played GUP on youtube today. I only really like Red Lenses and Between The Wheels. The rest is ..... not so good.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Played GUP on youtube today. I only really like Red Lenses and Between The Wheels. The rest is ..... not so good.
    False. I love p/g.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    False. I love p/g.
    This, x ten trillion.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The bass tone is good on GUP. It's just not my style of Rush. It almost sounds like 80s Genesis. Whatever.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I finally got around to downloading a few Rush bootlegs. Right now I am listening to St. Louis 1980 from the Permanent Waves tour and it is FANTASTIC.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I finally got around to downloading a few Rush bootlegs. Right now I am listening to St. Louis 1980 from the Permanent Waves tour and it is FANTASTIC.
    Did you get the "Hemispheres" Black Forest show from Germany? It kills.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    False. I love p/g.
    I have been listening to "Grace Under Pressure" a LOT in the past five years and I've come to the conclusion that it's incredibly underrated. Powerful, intense, emotional and brutal in equal doses, it revs up something fierce by the time of "Between the Wheels". I think it gets so little love because it doesn't even have the veneer of HAIR METAL RAWK that the previous albums had, and because two or three songs wear their Police influences on their sleeves. I can listen to the whole album and get worked up inside: the cries of anguish in "Afterimage," the intense fiery jamming at the end of "The Body Electric," the apocalyptic atonalities of "Between the Wheels." Even "Red Lenses" has that middle section that leads into Neil pounding away at the drums, solo, raging against the dying of the light.

"Power Windows" took all that, cleaned it up, and made it cute and tinkly. (There's darkness in "Manhattan Project" and "Territories" but "Grand Designs" and "Emotion Detector" are as fluffy and light as you please.) "Grace Under Pressure" was, for a while, the last stand for despair and anger and I think as such really deserves a reappraisal in the canon. For me, that's the end of the first Book of Rush, and after that album, they wouldn't be the same at all.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I’ll give that one a try. The Hemispheres show I grabbed was Tucson, AZ which is also killer.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I’ll give that one a try. The Hemispheres show I grabbed was Tucson, AZ which is also killer.
    They're both great.

I have (somewhere) a bootleg of Rush on the R30 tour. I was told it was a mix taken from a wireless stage mix - not off the main board. There do seem to be no effects on the voice or instruments. Very dry. So possibly one of the band was using that mix? - I have no idea if that was actually true, but Rush uses wireless monitors and someone could potentially patch into that. I dont have any idea where it is now, but it was the Tulsa, OK show. it was in MP3 format. I should probably find it. It may be unique. Does anyone know if there is a bootleg of the R30 Tulsa show? The guy who gave it to me was kind of an insider Music buiz know it all kind of guy...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This morning when they went to a commercial, MSNBC’s Morning Joe played some of Tom Sawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    "Power Windows" took all that, cleaned it up, and made it cute and tinkly. (There's darkness in "Manhattan Project" and "Territories" but "Grand Designs" and "Emotion Detector" are as fluffy and light as you please.) "Grace Under Pressure" was, for a while, the last stand for despair and anger and I think as such really deserves a reappraisal in the canon. For me, that's the end of the first Book of Rush, and after that album, they wouldn't be the same at all.
    "Cute and Tinkly"? "Fluffy and light"?