Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What Rush Are You Playing?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Did a bunch of bouncing around but doing Fly By Night, Caress, and 2112 a few times as well. I always view those three as a trilogy (of sorts) and the recorded sound they captured is some of my favorite on any Rush record. Neil's kit sounds so damn GOOD on Fly By Night - kick and snare have nice punch and depth, and those toms really are tuned well and ring out.
    While Neil refined his play in the years to come, I still cherish his performance on Fly By Night the most. He has this Keith Moon ferocity and inventiveness there, eager to prove to everybody that he is just the best. By Tor is a highlight, as is Anthem and Beneath, Between and Behind.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I Think I'm Going Bald on repeat
    LOL Dog Years or Witch Hunt

I am watching the "Rash" videos... Getting a good laugh in. Love the sense of humor they have
    I got nothin'

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/PapaYode...=page_internal

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I've mostly been glued to SiriusXM's tribute channel. It's nice to have the catalog on random with some nice commentary in between. I also put all the albums on shuffle last night while I was outside grilling and kicking the ball for my crazy dog, Echo (partially named from "Test for Echo").

I've found myself paying much more attention to all the little fills, flares and nuances that Neil put into each song. It's truly remarkable, especially when you think that he reproduced all that stuff live.

Speaking of SiriusXM, I haven't heard anything all week from "Counterparts" through "Clockwork Angels." Maybe my timing is bad. Anyone else? I've heard "The Fountain of Lamneth" four times!
    Chad

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I Think I'm Going Bald on repeat
    Y'know, I love the guitar riff in that song. Goofy lyrics for sure, but it's a barn-burning musically.
    Chad

All The Worlds A Stage. Sounds as good now as when it came out. I was fifteen then.

Just played "The Boys in Brazil" doc on the second disc of Rush in Rio while putzing around in the office.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I began with "A Farewell to Kings." Right now, it's a live soundboard recording from Allentown, PA in September of 1980 that I was at. Man, they were really in good form at that show. Brings back great memories.
    Orange is the new stupid.

A Farewell To Kings on repeat...
    Prog's Not Dead

Somewhat related: Monday thru yesterday, I wore my Farewell to Kings t-shirt 3 days in a row.....people sitting next to me on the bus and train having to smell me be damned!
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

This week I played Grace Under Pressure, Moving Pictures and Power Windows. The day after I read the news I was in a record-store and found a copy of the 40th anniversary edition of Hemispheres. This includes most of the performance of Rush during Pinkpop The Netherlands in 1979. I remember where I was when they were playing there and have heard some of it, but at that point I wasn't into Rush yet. I was late at the party: in May 1981 I bought my first Rush-LP Moving Pictures, soon followed by A Farewell To Kings.

Played Permanent Waves when I got back from Vegas Saturday. Played Moving Pictures Sunday. That was enough for now. Those albums were my entree' to Rush and will always be close to my heart, even having heard them a zillion times. Actually, I can't remember the last time I played Moving Pictures, and it absolutely floored me. I know Camera Eye is not super complex for an "epic," but the way Geddy varies the vocal melodies and the way those melodies highlight the words just struck me as if hearing it for the first time; sheer beauty.

And that drummer dude wasn't bad either.

I don't really believe in perfect albums, but these may be my perfect albums. Got to let the dust settle a bit before I hear more Rush.

Bill

I have been listening to the entire Rush studio albums collection from beginning to end this week. So far I am up to "Counterparts", and will continue until I reach "Clockwork Angels". What an incredible body of work this band has had.

Just put on Permanent Waves starting at track 3. I bought the CD a few years ago but haven't listened to it. Other than that it's been live stuff on YouTube. Especially the drum solo from Rio, and the instrumental medleys of the old stuff. Neil had some beautiful drum kits. It's a drag to know he will never play them again.

Feedback. Because it's something different and it's very well done.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

None.

I've heard a few tracks as I checked out tributes but I really haven't been in the mood to listen to their music even now.

Oddly enough, I played some of Clockwork Angels the morning I heard the news (which I heard later that day). First time I had deliberately played their music in about a year.

Funny how that worked out.

I've found comfort in the words I have read and hearing interviews with Neil though. More than I think I'd get from the music at the moment.

The first three I grabbed were Hemispheres (because my first Rush show was the Hemispheres tour stop in Detroit), Signals (because it's awesome and one of many drum tour de forces in the Rush catalog) and All The World's A Stage (because it's equally awesome and it's the first Rush album I owned - on 8 track tape no less - back in the 70's).

Today I really want to get to Exit Stage Left because it's been a looooong time since I last played it, 2112 because it's my favorite Rush album and Caress Of Steel because it's such a diamond in the rough.

Been listening to ATWAS. Gotta be honest, I'm not a fan of live albums in general. I prefer the studio versions. I think the only live albums I really love are Band Of Gypsys and Live At Leeds.

RIP Neil. I still can't believe he's gone. I saw him once on the Vapor Trails tour. He did an epic drum solo.
    Last edited by Vic2012; 01-17-2020 at 07:40 PM.

Different live shows. Just let it play in the background and since I don't have the setlists memorized it's a nice surprise to hear what tune is coming up next.
    "Moustache stays right where it's at" - Clutch

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I began with "A Farewell to Kings." Right now, it's a live soundboard recording from Allentown, PA in September of 1980 that I was at. Man, they were really in good form at that show. Brings back great memories.
    Gotta follow up on this. That Allentown recording was the second-last show of the tour. Geddy really sounded good. What I forgot about was that they previewed two tracks from their upcoming album: Limelight and Tom Sawyer. This was before Alex changed the guitar breaks. The only problem with the recording is that it's incomplete, fading out toward the end of Natural Science. The good old days. What a run of albums they had. I can't think of any better by any band, except, you know who.
    Orange is the new stupid.

Doing some old-style album listening through their (Neil) catalogue, an album a day. Today the most pivotal album for me personally, Hemispheres!

Also remembering the first Rush show I saw on the 1979 Hemispheres tour! Alex actually pulled put his GR-500 guitar synth for the sorta-string parts in "Armageddon". As a side note, the roadies had tied up Howard U's legs and arms and he had to worm himself across the entire stage. Can't remember during which song though!

Alex from the 1979 show, sorry no image of Neil
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

As I posted earlier I have been listening to all of the Rush albums in chronological order. I am up to "Test For Echo" today. I am still not a huge fan of this one, but it has it's moments.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Gotta follow up on this. That Allentown recording was the second-last show of the tour. Geddy really sounded good. What I forgot about was that they previewed two tracks from their upcoming album: Limelight and Tom Sawyer. This was before Alex changed the guitar breaks. The only problem with the recording is that it's incomplete, fading out toward the end of Natural Science. The good old days. What a run of albums they had. I can't think of any better by any band, except, you know who.
    Tull? They may have best run period imo.