Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Rick Wakeman prog album

New Rick Wakeman prog album

This I am excited for. The piano solo stuff only goes so far with me, but a full-on prog album from Rick has my interest.

Some posts and tweets from Rick:

“The first couple of months will include recording a new prog album for release in late March. It’s going to be instrumental and very keyboard heavy! (now there’s a surprise!)”
    “Recording yesterday surpassed all hopes. Hopefully more of the same today and indeed for the next few weeks of recording.”
    “Another really productive and inspirational day in the studio yesterday. Just today to go for recording this week and then a few days of reflection before continuing again next week.”

And he has plans to tour the USA again with the Grumpy Old Rockstar presentation (15 – 20 shows in April/May and another 15 – 20 later in the year)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    “The first couple of months will include recording a new prog album for release in late March. It’s going to be instrumental and very keyboard heavy! (now there’s a surprise!)”
    “Recording yesterday surpassed all hopes. Hopefully more of the same today and indeed for the next few weeks of recording.”
    But not good enough/willing to contribute to a new ARW album? SMH

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    It’s going to be instrumental and very keyboard heavy! (now there’s a surprise!)”
    It probably won't be Retro 3, but I'll take it. Glad he's doing this sort of thing again!

Terrific news!

Sure! I'm in.

After all, he has so few solo albums.

I only wish he would tour the states with a full band, instead of these rehashed piano tours. The last time he came with a band was 1992, the Wakeman & Wakeman Tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I only wish he would tour the states with a full band, instead of these rehashed piano tours. The last time he came with a band was 1992, the Wakeman & Wakeman Tour.
    Totally agree with that, but it's gotta be a cost factor. Looks like this year will be no different with the piano/stand-up tours coming again. That W&W tour was fantastic - saw it in Philly.

I like the instrumental factor. Two of my favorite albums of Rick's are 6 Wives and Criminal Record. I'll keep my fingers crossed without holding my breath on anything quite that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I like the instrumental factor. Two of my favorite albums of Rick's are 6 Wives and Criminal Record. I'll keep my fingers crossed without holding my breath on anything quite that good.
    Speaking of favorites. Can you tell me aside from the two you mentioned what other albums Rick has that are worth pursuing? I love Rick but sometimes find his albums too cloying or sometimes cheesy. I was fond of 6 wives and journey, but have not really listening to many of his many, many solo albums. Now that ARW has probably been knocked on the head to paraphrase Mike Rutherfords take on Genesis's future. What is a "must listen" for dear old Rick?

Criminal Record is worth listening to. Anything else I've heard outside of those first few albums and CR I cannot recommend haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Yestor View Post
    Speaking of favorites. Can you tell me aside from the two you mentioned what other albums Rick has that are worth pursuing? I love Rick but sometimes find his albums too cloying or sometimes cheesy. I was fond of 6 wives and journey, but have not really listening to many of his many, many solo albums. Now that ARW has probably been knocked on the head to paraphrase Mike Rutherfords take on Genesis's future. What is a "must listen" for dear old Rick?
    The Myths And Legends Of King Arthur And The Knights Of The Round Table!!!!
    The Prog Corner

I may be alone but I really like the White Rock soundtrack. It's more or less instrumental (minus a few brief appearances by a choir). The sound choices were still great on this (Moog, Mellotron etc.)- they were even going downhill on Criminal Record IMHO.

'The Loser' and 'After The Ball' are two of his best ballads, IMHO. And I particularly like 'Lax'X' and 'Ice Run' which are much more experimental than usual. The latter has this really killer Moog theme in it which I wish he'd developed further.

I like the whole album except 'Montezuma's Revenge' which is extremely cheesy.

The first 4 pieces from The burning are classic Wakeman instrumentals, 18 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I may be alone but I really like the White Rock soundtrack. It's more or less instrumental (minus a few brief appearances by a choir). The sound choices were still great on this (Moog, Mellotron etc.)- they were even going downhill on Criminal Record IMHO.

'The Loser' and 'After The Ball' are two of his best ballads, IMHO. And I particularly like 'Lax'X' and 'Ice Run' which are much more experimental than usual. The latter has this really killer Moog theme in it which I wish he'd developed further.

I like the whole album except 'Montezuma's Revenge' which is extremely cheesy.
    Nope, same here. Essential Wakemantunes if you're a fan.

John just posted The Burning, which is another good one.

Between the instrumentals on both Retro and Retro 2, you have a kickass analog-centric album (and if you don't mind vocals on the rest, there you go).

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Speaking of favorites. Can you tell me aside from the two you mentioned what other albums Rick has that are worth pursuing? I love Rick but sometimes find his albums too cloying or sometimes cheesy.
    Avoid Greatest Hits.

What I've managed to get through sounded like MIDI files with some rote drumming added.

I may be in the minority but there are a couple cuts off of Rhapsodies that hit the spot.. but agree on White Rock and Criminal Record.. in fact side one of Criminal Record could have be call a Yes session..

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    those 2 are great... then there's another instrumental album by him...

Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

For me no doubt ....no earthly connection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJwE96GMFyA&t=853s

For me, Criminal Record holds up WAY BETTER than 6 Wives...….No Earthly Connection is a good one also.
    G.A.S -aholic

I like No Earthly Connection more than both Journey... or Arthur. No orchestra or choir so it feels less bloated. 'Maker' is lovely.

Five of these A&M albums are available in a budget set called Five Classic Albums.

Six Wives
    Journey
    King Arthur
    White Rock
    No Earthly
    Rhapsodies
    Retro 1
    Retro 2

Radically, I'm not a big fan of Criminal Record.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Six Wives
    Journey
    King Arthur
    White Rock
    No Earthly
    Rhapsodies
    Retro 1
    Retro 2

Radically, I'm not a big fan of Criminal Record.
    ... which (IMO) is better than all the others in your list above, and maybe the only RW solo work worth keeping.

"Criminal Record" is criminally underrated.
    (Yes, I took the obvious road there.)

But seriously, I really enjoy it. Just for the presence of Chris Squire and Alan White on several tracks is the record worthwhile. And I think the compositions and synth/keyboard sounds are quite good.
    Only "The Breathalyser " fails to please me.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    The Myths And Legends Of King Arthur And The Knights Of The Round Table!!!!
    Gets a lot of flak around here, but both me and my wife love it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"