Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: New Rick Wakeman prog album

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Or billed 2-4 times.
    Believe me, first thing I checked.

this is a very solid instrumental band album by Wakey. It has some similar themes to his 1991 album https://www.discogs.com/Rick-Wakeman...elease/8393492 but doesn't suffer from the mechanical sound of that one. This album is much more organic sounding than 2000 AD. I'm in!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

"Rick is delighted to announce a worldwide distribution deal for The Red Planet with Madfish which will see standard editions of the CD and LP, together with download and streaming versions on all major platforms, released on August 28th. #TheRedPlanet
    To pre-order please visit https://rickwakemanmadfish.lnk.to/TheRedPlanet"

Ember
    Has anyone in the US who ordered a physical CD/DVD received one? I had a shipping notice on June 30, but there was no info on where it was shipped from. (I’m aware the DVD disc is coming later.)

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    Has anyone in the US who ordered a physical CD/DVD received one? I had a shipping notice on June 30, but there was no info on where it was shipped from. (I’m aware the DVD disc is coming later.)
    I'm in Canada and my shipping notice was June 23, and still nothing.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'm in Canada and my shipping notice was June 23, and still nothing.
    Guess I’ll be waiting awhile myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shipped on 30 June. I imagine it’ll be a minute.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I received mine earlier this week in Chicago area. I got an autographed CD.

My thoughts on it is that it is a very decent album, and one that is quite good for a man of his age in his career. The Bolero is a highlight for sure, and as a whole reminds me a lot of Criminal Record. But as a Wakeman fanatic, I have no idea why this is generated so much interest and praise. Is it because he said it was a "prog album"? I have a feeling this is the album people who don't buy Wakeman albums have been waiting for.
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 07-18-2020 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I received mine earlier this week in Chicago area. I got an autographed CD.

My thoughts on it is that it is a very decent album, and one that is quite good for a man of his age in his career. The Bolero is a highlight for sure, and as a whole reminds me a lot of Criminal Record. But as a Wakeman fanatic, I have no idea why this is generated so much interest and praise. Is it because he said it was a "prog album"? I feeling this is the album people who don't buy Wakeman albums have been waiting for.
    I think Criminal record is my favorite Wakeman, of the ones I own.
    The six wives of Henry VIII
    Journey to the centre of the earth
    The myths and legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table
    No earthly connection
    Criminal record
    Return to the centre of the earth
    The masters

I had a chance to chat with Rick today about the new album. US distribution is happening with the second batch, btw.

Wow, that was fantastic Sean! I do believe we have to re-write the ARW history with that scoop you got there. Simply amazing how the story completely changed from what what we've heard in other sources. They likely were just keeping things private, and just tossed out detractors to placate fans.

Nicely done mate!

Yep, same here. Nothing yet. I received several other items from the UK that shipped later so I'm not quite sure what the deal is.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Wow, that was fantastic Sean! I do believe we have to re-write the ARW history with that scoop you got there. Simply amazing how the story completely changed from what what we've heard in other sources. They likely were just keeping things private, and just tossed out detractors to placate fans.
    Yes, lovely interview, Sean. You got some good answers out of Rick.

He has talked before about the two wives' cancer diagnoses, but not in this much detail. (Good to know both are now doing fine.) This shed a very different light on what happened with 2018/9 touring plans, and his hints at the possibility of 2021 touring will keep speculation going for months! :-)

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I missed out on the red vinyl with pop up. Damn it. So I ordered the black vinyl (with gatefold, no pop up) from Burning Shed.

It's a great record.
    The Prog Corner

I preordered the signed cd, soft package not jewel on May 24th. Mine was dispatched on June 23 and I received it 2 weeks ago.
    Great album by the way, and well worth the wait.
    Kind of wish I had gotten the vinyl, but with shipping it was just too expensive at this time for me.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Listened to this twice and still can’t get pst the feeling like I’ve heard this before.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Listened to this twice and still can’t get pst the feeling like I’ve heard this before.
    You meant by someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Re: Ricks version of where the idea for Tales came from.. I guess Rick never heard about the meeting with Jamie Muir at Brufords wedding..
    Tales From Topographic Oceans which appears to be about much loftier themes than chess. ‘Indeed, the album was about the Sanskrit scriptures’ confirms Rick, adding that it would take 80 years to read them all before confessing that the inspiration was from a more mundane source: ‘The idea came from Jon and I who were reading about it in the Sunday Express and that was it!’.

A common reaction when listening to Wakeman albums

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I suppose all composers sometimes used stuff they used before. And if someone has a recognisable style, like Rick Wakeman things are likely to sound like something he did before.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I suppose all composers sometimes used stuff they used before. And if someone has a recognisable style, like Rick Wakeman things are likely to sound like something he did before.
    I get the same feeling listening to new Neal Morse, or the Flower Kings anymore.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Right, the same with classical composers like Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaicovsky, etc. They also used to "steal" from other composers.

Right, the same with classical composers like Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaicovsky, etc. They also used to "steal" from other composers.

^^ A great composer once said a good composer borrows, a great composer steals.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama