Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: New Rick Wakeman prog album

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    I don't know if it's widely known that the vinyl version of Red Planet is cut at 45rpm. This will be of interest to owners of those rare turntables that lack 45rpm speed.

Is it misrepresentation to promote this as an "LP" (which they do)? A 45rpm 12" vinyl holds maybe 12 minutes, right?
    The site says it's a double album so I assume it's the whole thing.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    The site says it's a double album so I assume it's the whole thing.
    I wasn't suggesting the four sides wouldn't be the complete work. Only that it isn't an "LP," which strongly infers 33rpm, and as which it's referred more than once. Some buyers might be surprised, is all.

For me, it's the CD and (we now know) ETA-unknown DVD, so my interest in the vinyl is just curiosity.

Red Planet kicks ass!! I'll take this over ARW. No offense.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Red Planet kicks ass!! I'll take this over ARW. No offense.
    Well, of course... what was the new material from ARW?

I don't know if it's widely known that the vinyl version of Red Planet is cut at 45rpm. This will be of interest to owners of those rare turntables that lack 45rpm speed.

Is it misrepresentation to promote this as an "LP" (which they do)? A 45rpm 12" vinyl holds maybe 12 minutes, right?
    You can fit nearly 20 minutes on a 45rpm album side. Makes for great sound quality but you need a cutting engineer who knows what theyr'e doing.

I can't wait to get this! I even love his cheesy stuff, so if this is top flight proggy Wakeman, oh baby!!

Compared to the approximately 3 minutes of the 78 and original 45, 12 minutes is a long playing time. When Queen released Bohemian Rhapsody as a single, they had to re-engineer the 7" 45 format to acommodate the full 6 1/2 minute playing time.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Compared to the approximately 3 minutes of the 78 and original 45, 12 minutes is a long playing time. When Queen released Bohemian Rhapsody as a single, they had to re-engineer the 7" 45 format to acommodate the full 6 1/2 minute playing time.
    "Like a Rolling Stone (1965) is six minutes and "Hey Jude" (1968) is more than seven minutes. So, I suspect the format may have been re-engineered prior to that.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

One of my first 45s was American Pie. One half of it was on Side A, the second half was on Side B. But that was over 8 minutes if I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    One of my first 45s was American Pie. One half of it was on Side A, the second half was on Side B. But that was over 8 minutes if I recall.
    There was also an edited version that was played on the air. It cut out the entire first part and began with the chorus.

The Animals' "Sky Pilot" was also on two sides.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    "Like a Rolling Stone (1965) is six minutes and "Hey Jude" (1968) is more than seven minutes. So, I suspect the format may have been re-engineered prior to that.
    An even longer one that Hey Jude was "MacArthur Park."

Longest 45 I have ever seen is believe it or not, Camel's"Another Night." The B-side is a live "Lunar Sea" that runs 10:30. There's also a live version of Simple Minds' "Don't You Forget About Me" on the flip on "All the Things She Said," it's over 9 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I remember my sisters 45 of CCR Suzy Q which had half on side A which was the single version and then side B had the rest of the song.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    There was also an edited version that was played on the air. It cut out the entire first part and began with the chorus.

The Animals' "Sky Pilot" was also on two sides.
    A couple of my favorite songs from my childhood. (Well, the split Pie.)

Looks like Rick is getting some good publicity for the new album; here's a long feature on him in Vanity Fair:

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...n-rick-wakeman

This is really good. Not overly long either. All instrumental with the kind of Moog soloing you'd expect and love from Rick. It really does not veer into the cheese thanks to the right sounds and cool arranging. His band is excellent.

Some of those recent instrumental piano albums have charted well in the UK, so he has a high profile again. Good to read a lot of positive feedback on this new album.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    The B-side is a live "Lunar Sea" that runs 10:30.
    Completely useless bit of trivia; that track was pressed at 33 1/3 rpm (with the other side 45rpm) in the UK.

http://www.45cat.com/record/fr13656

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

Completely useless bit of trivia; that track was pressed at 33 1/3 rpm (with the other side 45rpm) in the UK.

http://www.45cat.com/record/fr13656
    True. But the US Janus single does play at 45.

Apparently there is a UK single by Steve Harley with a live version of "Sebastian" that is even longer, 10:49 and does play at 45. But I've never seen this.

Ah, yes- it says on the label 'increase volume' due to the length!

http://www.45cat.com/record/emi2299

I think this version was an extra track on The Best Days Of Our Lives CD, but I'm not certain.

I did not know that, thanks for sharing that info.
    I really wanted the vinyl version, but I simply can't afford what it cost, and I'm not a fan of the double album thing for what is really a single album. You usually get 3 songs per side and it feels like it breaks up the momentum and flow of the music to me, especially since you have to keep getting up to change the side.

I went with the autographed digipack cd and can't wait until it arrives. I've watched all the videos he has posted about the making of the Red Planet..this looks and sounds like a keeper to me.

btw, the only 45rpm album I have is Sagacity by Saga. I didn't know it was 45rpm when I put it on the turntable, and my first thought was I had a bad copy when it played back so slow. lol
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by malgeo View Post
    Looks like Rick is getting some good publicity for the new album; here's a long feature on him in Vanity Fair:

Very nicely written article.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Very nicely written article.

Henry
    Superb. Thoroughly good fun to read.

I wasn't suggesting the four sides wouldn't be the complete work. Only that it isn't an "LP," which strongly infers 33rpm, and as which it's referred more than once. Some buyers might be surprised, is all.

For me, it's the CD and (we now know) ETA-unknown DVD, so my interest in the vinyl is just curiosity.
    Double 12" x 45rpm were the norm during a short period of time in the mid 90s. And we still called them LPs (when abstractly referring to the album not the format).
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by malgeo View Post

Great interview, especially the part of King Arthur on ice. It out-Spinal-Tapped Spinal Tap.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Gave it a first spin on Friday. So far, so really good!
    Chad

Can't seem to find it at any webshop I tend to visit.