Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Rick Wakeman prog album

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    "Criminal Record" is criminally underrated.
    (Yes, I took the obvious road there.)

But seriously, I really enjoy it. Just for the presence of Chris Squire and Alan White on several tracks is the record worthwhile. And I think the compositions and synth/keyboard sounds are quite good.
    Only "The Breathalyser " fails to please me.
    The Breathalyser is definitely the throwaway of the album. Other than that, it's a very solid album
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

1. Six Wives
    2. Criminal Record
    3. King Arthur
    4. No Earthly Connection

That's all I need from mr. Wakeman (well I gotta admit I have 6-8 other albums of his on my shelf...).
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I created a medley from all the solid musical bits of No Earthly Connection and got a 5 minute piece
    needless to say, it doesn't work for me
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I created a medley from all the solid musical bits of No Earthly Connection and got a 5 minute piece
    Coincidentally, I gave a fresh listen to NEC today, inspired by this thread. Yowza! I recall not caring for this, and this listen reminded me of why. I just find Wakeman's vocal bits very off-putting, and this album is chock full of vocals. And the singers he got are really not that good to my ears. Same problem with Moraz Story of I.

I'm intrigued by the prospect of an instrumental Prog album from Wakeman, but I'm keeping my hopes extremely low. The only albums I like of his are Six Wives and White Rock, so I'd at least give an instrumental album a listen. We'll see what happens.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    ... which (IMO) is better than all the others in your list above, and maybe the only RW solo work worth keeping.
    Not if you love what the Caped Crusader does. Then one only will not suffice.

Criminal Record is indispensable. On that we agree.

Do you like 1984, LP? IMO, it doesn't get enough love. "Robot Man" with lead vocals by Chaka Khan is groovy.

I can tell everyone in this thread right now to avoid Time Machine. Not good.

RE; Criminal Record. A good album overall. But the synth sounds are a little dodgier this time out IMHO. Not just on the thoroughly silly throwaway 'The Breathalyzer', but also on the cheese-laden ending of 'Chamber Of Horrors'.

Outside of the Squire/White tracks, I do like 'Birdman Of Alcatraz' a lot on this one.

This album has never been easy to get on CD in the UK. The remaster campaign from a few years back stalled.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Do you like 1984, LP? IMO, it doesn't get enough love. "Robot Man" with lead vocals by Chaka Khan is groovy.

I'm not sure if I have 1984? What year was that released?

ok, just checked... I have everything up to the Crimes Of Passion s/t, so yeah, but it's been forever since I heard anything beyond Rhapsodies
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 01-17-2020 at 06:03 PM.

Yes, I like the Overture and the Jon Anderson song 'Hymm'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Yes, I like the Overture and the Jon Anderson song 'Hymm'.
    "The Room" is really short, but that's a cool instrumental, too.

I have a soft spot for No Earthly Connection. It may be Wakeman's cheesiest album but it came out at a time when I was heavily into prog rock and wanting anything with those synthesizer sounds to it. I still enjoy the album a lot. Judas Iscariot from Criminal Record is my favorite piece of music ever written by Rick.

I have 1984 somewhere in my collection on vinyl, didn't listened it for decades... didn't left me with a memorable impression either. Should I give it a second chance ? The only 1984 inspired musical work to which I regularly return is the Anthony Philips version, truly a major achievement for this artist (and mainly keyboard based too).

I have no idea why Journey to the Center of the Earth is held in such high regard. I find it excruciatingly bad, particularly in the vocals department. For me, Six Wives and Criminal. The rest is schmalz! IMHO, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I have no idea why Journey to the Center of the Earth is held in such high regard. I find it excruciatingly bad, particularly in the vocals department.
    I agree. What a crappy record!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I like some of the musical passages on Journey..., but it's hard to disagree on the lyrics/vocals. Some people really liked the 'new' version he did in 2012. (I have heard the Return To The Centre Of The Earth album. It's not really much like the original, more song-based.)

I don't really go for 'orchestral rock' in general anymore. I prefer Arthur on balance, though. I still don't like the choral stuff, but the songs are better IMHO.

I share others feelings about the deluge of “new age” and piano albums etc but i have all of them nonetheless. Albums often classified in these sections worth checking out IMHO;
    Zodiaque
    Seven Wonders of the World
    Stella Bianca

I don't care how many people say Journey is crap or horrible, I still enjoy it and after all these years still play it once in awhile which is more than I can say for most prog albums that I have from 1980 on.

Have fallen out out of love with everything Wakeman except

1) Six Wives
    2) Criminal Record
    3) 1984

Continue to be fond of those - I believe they are still prog classics

v

Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    Have fallen out out of love with everything Wakeman except

1) Six Wives
    2) Criminal Record
    3) 1984
    Then you are going to love "Bolero" when - not if - when it is released!

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I've got a good feeling about this one

I've got a good feeling about this one
    Got the "Cadet" tier: S/N pop-up combo. Only a few more bucks than the single.

Cadet for me too! It does look and sound promising.

A small part of me can’t help thinking...why couldn’t he have worked on this music with Jon and Trevor? It seemed like they were struggling for ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    This looks promising.. looking forward to hearing it upon it's release.. thanks for the link