Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pagan prog

Greek band DAEMONIA NYMPHE

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Great band. Wouldn't at all consider them to be Prog-Rock, despite the write up in Prog Magazine.
    They're not prog rock. Bands like Heilung, Daemonia Nymphe etc... are more popular amongst gothic & black metal audiences.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    They're not prog rock. Bands like Heilung, Daemonia Nymphe etc... are more popular amongst gothic & black metal audiences.
    There were a lot of goths at last nights Heilung gig.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    After also watching Midsommar, I have decided that Aster is not for me - to say the least. He's a master at creating disturbing images and suffocating atmosphere, but just for the sake of it in my opinion. The complete lack of any in depth portraying of the characters interior turmoil makes his cinema more of a spectacle than a functional narrative that engages the viewer in any mental way.

Yes, he has talent, but towards what exactly? I watched the director's cut, and apart from a sick stomach, I didn't feel I gained anything. Just my two cents.
    Probably my fav film I've seen in about 5 years, although 1917 is also monstrous and amazing.

Cool thread btw, lots of interesting toons I have never heard posted here.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Not sure if this would be considered prog, but it is pagan.

I've got them classified as Folk Prog on my iPod.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    They appear to have a pagan element.

Agreed
    Ian

Pagan is in the lyrics, not in the music, just like one has Christian stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    They appear to have a pagan element.
    When we indluded them on PA, back them, it was considered as Wyrd Folk, though they're not to be confused with Faun Fables, the US band of the same era

I think both bands started around the Millemium and are still active; but have no idea how they evolved in later years.
    Last edited by Trane; 02-21-2020 at 06:38 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Sadly Faun are now very much a Pop band with folky themes. So stay away from
    their current Albums.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Sadly Faun are now very much a Pop band with folky themes. So stay away from
    their current Albums.
    The last one I bought was Midgard, from 2016, and it's pretty great. Wouldn't call it Poppy. Discogs shows only one album since that one. It's Pop?

Also, if you like Proggy Folk, you should check out Fauns, who have apparently changed their name to Favni:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/799593-Fauns

Member Bob Netherton hipped me to that band, and they are indeed very good.

Discogs shows only one album since that one. It's Pop?
    Listening now, and it's Lightly Medieval flavored Rock, with a very pronounced commercial edge. I hate to say it, but it sounds like something made for a big, Medieval themed stage production. I hope it's a one-off and they got it out of their system, but I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the warning.

I don't completely agree: Some worship music may be unsung, simply instrumental. During the Baroque period in Europe, the chorale prelude (for organ) was widely used, generally composed by using a popular hymn tune thematically, and a wide corpus of other solo organ music began to develop across Europe. Some of the most well-known exponents of such organ compositions include Johann Sebastian Bach, Dieterich Buxtehude, George Frideric Handel, François Couperin, César Franck and Charles-Marie Widor to name a few. wiki

Listening now, and it's Lightly Medieval flavored Rock, with a very pronounced commercial edge. I hate to say it, but it sounds like something made for a big, Medieval themed stage production. I hope it's a one-off and they got it out of their system, but I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the warning.
    They are rather well known in Germany (I think Midgard charted at No. 3 in the German Album Charts).
    They have a lot of TV advertising here and sound more and more like a sing and clap along band
    dressed in a lite Celtic folk mantle.

They are rather well known in Germany (I think Midgard charted at No. 3 in the German Album Charts).
    They have a lot of TV advertising here and sound more and more like a sing and clap along band
    dressed in a lite Celtic folk mantle.
    I don't really mind. I like the music, just like I like the music of Santiano (which has a prog connection though Pete Sage, formerly from Wally).

I don't really mind. I like the music, just like I like the music of Santiano (which has a prog connection though Pete Sage, formerly from Wally).
    They are still much better than anything of actual Pop Music, but they are simply part of those "themed" acts
    like Santiano right now (they actually recorded a song with Santiano).

I'm totally not in those "we are a Viking, Celtic, Musketeer, Medival" whatsoever Pop bands...

They are still much better than anything of actual Pop Music, but they are simply part of those "themed" acts
    like Santiano right now (they actually recorded a song with Santiano).

I'm totally not in those "we are a Viking, Celtic, Musketeer, Medival" whatsoever Pop bands...
    As long as I like the music, it's alright with me. I also love In Extremo.

Not sure if this would be considered prog, but it is pagan.
    Faun currently are lame pop with a folky edge. And look/sound more kitschy than Blackmore's Night.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I saw Heilung on youtube, thought it looked interesting, and ended up watching all of it. that's their first album. Fascinating stuff.

Lifa by Heilung is cool as hell. I dig it.

Another group supposedly close to Heilung is Danheim (who is actually one guy from Denmark). Its an interesting "genre" for sure.

How about Goat?

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I just stumbled upon this tread and have a few suggestions that instantly come to mind. Two songs from Canadian singer/songwriter Loreena McKennitt. Her music is mainly tagged as Eclectic Celtic, but the music can crossover into multiple genres. Both songs here are from her 1991 album "The Visit," which IMO is her best alum and/or as a good first starter to her music. Both songs have pagan Celtic references.

Fairport Convention's 1969 masterpiece "Liege & Lief" most know was an early attempt to cross traditional British folk and rock. It also features the magnificent and overwhelming beautiful voice of the late Sandy Denny. The tune itself first appeared in books of Scottish poetry in the 1600's, however its words goes way back father in time and is a pre-Christian Celtic pagan fairy tale story. Sandy's haunting vocals still make my arm hair stand up!

I would consider both artists albums above to qualify as Progressive Folk, especially so at their times of release.
    Last edited by AncientChord; 09-05-2020 at 06:05 PM.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

^^

Loreena is awesome although I like the much more ecletic The Mask and Mirror much more.