Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Things You Never Thought You Would See

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    The black ice at 24º was horrendous.
    I once took an on-ramp and hit an invisible patch of ice and started spinning around. I came out of a 360° spin heading straight onto the highway like nothing ever happened, but noticed someone was blasting their horn--oh, wait--that's my horn.

I did that once on the freeway. Had to emergency-evade a stalled vehicle in my lane; ended up 360 degrees later two lanes over and needing a change of pants.

I was by myself, but I'd like to think if I had a passenger I would have had the presence of mind to say "ta-da!".

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I was by myself, but I'd like to think if I had a passenger I would have had the presence of mind to say "ta-da!".

I once took an on-ramp and hit an invisible patch of ice and started spinning around. I came out of a 360° spin heading straight onto the highway like nothing ever happened, but noticed someone was blasting their horn--oh, wait--that's my horn.
    I did that once on the freeway. Had to emergency-evade a stalled vehicle in my lane; ended up 360 degrees later two lanes over and needing a change of pants.
    Similar thing here. Driving on a wet thruway in the left lane on tires that, apparently, didn't have quite enough tread. Hit the breaks, 180 spin to the right, 360 spin to the left and come to a stop in the same lane but facing traffic. If the right lane had not been empty, I wouldn't be typing this today.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

My high school band director hit a patch of black ice on the highway, flew off the road and the accident killed him. It was very sad and the weather was not even that bad, it was just a patch of ice and he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Speaking of ice. I know another guy who used golf in a league that I used to run. On Christmas Day a few years ago he was in his driveway going to his car with some presents in his hand. He slipped on some ice in the driveway, hit his head, and it killed him. Totally freak accident, and another really sad one.

Those stories are terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    A Horizon Air passenger jet was Stolen from SeaTac airport. The "troubled" employee went on quite a joy ride doing loops over the Tacoma, WA area for awhile.....All this was happening unbeknownst to me. I was sitting in my hot tub with a drink at sunset and a Jet flew over my house at a 90 degree angle with two fighter jets alongside....I thought "what a weird time of day to practice for an air show". (we have a local Air Force Base in town) I live on a bluff overlooking Puget Sound and when the plane went around the bluff I was looking down at it! It crashed just out of sight 1.2 miles away. Didn't hear the crash but saw the fire smoke. I had to go inside a little later as the smoke overpowered me. It was only then that I realized if that nut had been a few feet lower, he would have crashed into my Tub!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_H..._Q400_incident
    Goddamn! Another Jet just flew low over my hot tub just now! Way too low! Maybe 1000ft! LOUD!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Goddamn! Another Jet just flew low over my hot tub just now! Way too low! Maybe 1000ft! LOUD!
    Maybe think about putting on a swimsuit.

4 blocks north standing on a corner on 9/11. You've all seen the pictures and know the story, so no need to elaborate. Talk about taking time to process.

As for car accidents, I saw a 1975 Camaro hit a curb after burning rubber leaving a stop light. The axle snapped and the car flipped, one tire spinning in the air ass the car landed on the roof cutting the driver in half. We all stopped and ran out, lifted the car up and pulled the passenger out. Nothing we could do for the driver. I will never forget the smell of blood boiling in the battery acid all over the pavement.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Ew. Either of those would give me nightmares for the rest of my life.

I didn't personally witness this, but a few days before high school graduation four of my classmates were riding in a convertible on Hwy 515 when a tractor-trailer hauling a backhoe going the other way hit the bridge just as they went under it. Decapitated all four of them.

Well, this has turned pretty grim.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Ew. Either of those would give me nightmares for the rest of my life.

I didn't personally witness this, but a few days before high school graduation four of my classmates were riding in a convertible on Hwy 515 when a tractor-trailer hauling a backhoe going the other way hit the bridge just as they went under it. Decapitated all four of them.
    Back in the mid 70's I worked for a plumbing company. Another guy who I went to school with and I were sitting on the front steps of the job we were working eating lunch. The company next door was Alban Tractor and a tractor trailer left the yard and was crossing the highway and a car of four guys were flying up the road and went under the trailer part of the truck, ripping the hood off the car. They must have all ducked because I think one of them had a scratch, and that's all.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I've seen a bison bull stroll through a herd laying out whoopass to pretenders and wannabes but this tops that:

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Back in the mid 70's I worked for a plumbing company. Another guy who I went to school with and I were sitting on the front steps of the job we were working eating lunch. The company next door was Alban Tractor and a tractor trailer left the yard and was crossing the highway and a car of four guys were flying up the road and went under the trailer part of the truck, ripping the hood off the car. They must have all ducked because I think one of them had a scratch, and that's all.
    You mean like this?

https://komonews.com/news/local/pric...ain-soaked-i-5

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is why Yes doesn't tour anymore.

They went completely under and out the other side. It was a taller car than that one.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!