Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things You Never Thought You Would See

Things You Never Thought You Would See

So what's your really bizarre moment that you think you wouldn't see, but did? I don't want this to be just about what happened to me tonight so give us all your greatest most messed up stories.

This may not be the topper it's a damned good one.

My friend did his last shift at the bar near my home. He invited me to join him for a celebratory drink. What the hell, right?

I get there, get a beer, light up a smoke and then all hell broke loose.

I was sitting far enough from the events that followed to not be alarmed but even if I had been closer I would have frozen and possibly been killed.

A Ford 250, big ass mofo, came crashing through the wall. It was like a cartoonish scene from a movie. It's a bar in a strip mall, who expects a fucking big ass truck to come crashing through the damn wall.

Luckily no one in the immediate vicinity got hurt or killed. Then, the dude tried to back up and drive away so my local Marine, dude was bad ass, immediately went and pulled the dude out of his truck and stopped him from leaving. He is one brave mofo but he also was pissed that his wife had been hit by a flying board but still, gotta give it up for someone who runs towards a catastrophe instead of freezing like me or running away.

This could have been catastrophic. If people had been in the pool area they would have been seriously injured or killed. When reality gets shattered the mind does funny things. I felt like I was in a cartoon, a comic strip. Not like there was anything I could do about it but I really couldn't function for a few minutes after it happened and it took nearly an hour for my heart rate to get back to normal.

It felt like an out of body experience. Like I was watching a movie. Big ass truck running through the building. A scene that has been played out in movies and tv over the years but you never think it's going to happen in real life.

I know everyone has weird stories in their lives but I wonder if I'm just a little more odd than others. Like the weird stuff is attracted to me, or I attract it. I can't have a normal concert experience as something has to be weird to make it memorable. Every single one has something but maybe that's just the music nerd in me and the music experience means more to me than most people.

Moral of the story, don't drink and drive. Tonight was one helluva ride. The pics don't give all the detail but they will have to do. I didn't have my phone on me so I'll try and get some pics that really show the damage.

https://www.ktnv.com/news/news-blogs...or-jan-11-2020
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

A Horizon Air passenger jet was Stolen from SeaTac airport. The "troubled" employee went on quite a joy ride doing loops over the Tacoma, WA area for awhile.....All this was happening unbeknownst to me. I was sitting in my hot tub with a drink at sunset and a Jet flew over my house at a 90 degree angle with two fighter jets alongside....I thought "what a weird time of day to practice for an air show". (we have a local Air Force Base in town) I live on a bluff overlooking Puget Sound and when the plane went around the bluff I was looking down at it! It crashed just out of sight 1.2 miles away. Didn't hear the crash but saw the fire smoke. I had to go inside a little later as the smoke overpowered me. It was only then that I realized if that nut had been a few feet lower, he would have crashed into my Tub!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_H..._Q400_incident
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Wow, we were in Vegas for CES last week and were on Spring Mountain Road, not far from where this happened on Friday night. Glad you, or anyone as it appears, was not seriously hurt.

Weirdest thing like this I think I ever saw was driving home from Boston Western, MA in a snow storm that got far worse than predicted. Saw many spin outs and crashes. At one point, we drove by a car that had spun out and had somehow wound up balanced on the two median guardrails in the center of the highway. Literally all four wheels in the air with the two guardrails holding up the car under the doors. We drove for like five minutes before I asked the people with me, "did anyone see that?" And they were all like, "yeah, except it was so surreal it took time to process that we really did."

We made it home fine, slow and steady in my little Toyota Tercel won the day!

Bill

I was eating breakfast at The Pancake House a couple years ago when a woman hit the wrong pedal and drove into the 7-11 next door.

I guess ANY business can be a drive-thru if you press hard enough

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Cars driving through buildings (houses, stores, whatever) seems to be a pretty common occurrence here in Frownland. It seems like there is a story on the news at least once a week or so of stories like either of the above.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I see it on the news but have never witnessed cars smashing into buildings. WTF is wrong with people? Are they drunk, high? WTF.

Many many years ago, when I worked in a local grocery store on a busy Saturday afternoon, some old woman drove through the front of the store. She crashed into the back of a Pepsi display (all glass bottles, of course). Her car stopped halfway in and halfway out. Her wheels were still spinning and burning rubber, which filled the store with smoke. The assistant manager was yelling to call the fire department. The manager, an epic asshole, was only worried about shoplifters running out of the store and asked me to guard the entrance.

The car hit one on those huge panes of glass, about seven feet wide. She went right between two aluminum frames, not even affecting the adjacent windows, literally inches on each side of the car. We were not sure what caused it, but she was pretty old and it was probably just one of those things. Apparently, she split her tongue, but was otherwise okay.

This underling spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning up broken glass with no hand protection.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I remember a few years back being on a freeway in suburban Detroit, following an SUV towing a 40-foot Sea-Ray. I guess the tow ball must have snapped off, because all of a sudden the SUV went one way, and the boat and the trailer went down the median and onto the other side of the freeway into opposing traffic. It was surreal watching the boat sailing along by itself on the freeway.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Anybody who's been in downtown Pittsburgh would be well aware the many bridges and crazy lane changes one must do to get to their destination. One particular spot is on a bridge as it approaches the downtown area. If you want to avoid traffic lights, you can take a left-hand exit and descend to a ten-block bypass which begins by taking an underpass under a piece of adjacent roadway. Well, one 18-wheeler decided to take that exit and was a bit too tall for the overpass. Peeled off the top of his trailer like a sardine can.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^ And people complain about the traffic in South Florida. It's bad down here but most people are civil......

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Twice in a couple of years the Dunkin Donuts in the center of my town had cars drive through the windows. Shortly after, a nearby house had someone smash into their front porch, apparently a DUI. A bunch of us were joking about it ['it's not even a donut shop', etc.] on the town Facebook page and a relative of the driver came on and started making threats, saying he's a "union fitter" and challenging people to say those things to his face. The page's moderators had to do a lot of cleanup.

One morning I got up for work and went out to the kitchen and the cats had eaten the plate of wet cat food, but left behind a perfectly-formed smiley face on the plate -- two dots of uneaten food for eyes and an arc for the smile... I brought it in to show my wife who was still in bed, and went to work. She called me when she got up and said she had a strange dream that I showed her a dish of cat food that looked like a smiley face. I should have taken a picture but nobody would have believed me.

A couple years ago I had to remove a catheter tube from my mother's urinary tract before taking her to the doctors.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I saw a Toyota Corolla that wasn't an Uber/Lyft.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I was nearly in a multi-car pileup. On the freeway in the Scottsdale/Pima Nation area, I was about 2 cars behind a dump truck. Suddenly 2 or 3 dogs went running across the freeway. The dump truck locked its brakes with tires smoking. Everyone behind him came to a panicked stop, with everyone in the left lane, myself included swerving into the left shoulder. Since that time, they turned the left shoulder into an H.O.V. lane, so things would've been much different, had it happened more recently.

One thing which could've ended badly was an 18 wheeler rig speeding, tailgating and weaving in and out of traffic on the freeway. It was one of those Swift trucks, so no doubt it was a new driver on one of his first solo runs. In case you don't know, Swift is a school which trains over the road drivers, then employs them as drivers to gain practical experience.
    Last edited by progmatist; 01-13-2020 at 02:12 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Was driving on the beltway a couple years ago and a tractor pulled out in front of me from an on ramp and the load must have shifted and the rig flips over in front of me. I thought I was going to get smashed into it by the traffic behind me, luckily I was able to swerve around the truck. If my work partner who I was following didn't see him he would have been crushed when the rig flipped on it's side. We stopped and pulled the driver out of the cab.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Shadow--I had a similar experience when helping my brother move. I was driving behind him, who was in a small moving vehicle he'd rented. We were about maybe 40 miles from out destination over near Ft. Worth, when a guy hauling a moblie/trailer home came around both of us weaving side to side, and clearly speeding what seemed like 70 mph. Too fast for what he was hauling. It freaked me out as well as my brother. We traveled about another fifteen minutes or so and saw this guy had dumped over with his load. I don't think anyone was hurt, but I thought...yeah, couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Offensive drivers are a big pet peeve for me.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    In '88 my girlfriend (and soon-to-be wife) and I were spending a day in Yellowstone on our way to Tennessee. As we left that afternoon, winding out of the park in a long line of traffic, I noticed dark clouds in the distance in my rearview mirror. I wanted to hurry to our hotel, which was in Cody, WY. I took some back road "shortcuts" to avoid the parade of cars going to the main highway. The dark clouds behind us kept growing closer and closer. They were unusually low to the ground as well. Soon it was too dark to see them, but then the drive drew harrowing as hell, as seeming every animal along that route was crossing the road. Not just one or two, 4 and 5 at a time. Deer. Antelope. Coyote. Shit ton of rabbits (I ran over at least two). It was like that for miles. When we finally got back the main highway we were almost convinced we had made a wrong turn as the lights from a distant town were behind us. But soon we saw a sign showing we were on the right track. We got to the motel that night and turned on the news and found out that a huge wildfire was sweeping thru the park. It would eventually take out several buildings in the main visitors area and just after we left there was a mass exodus of cars resulting in fender benders and blocked roads and jammed exits. It also resulted in a mass exodus of animals in the area. My wife said it was like the scene out Bambi. We went back to the park in '94. While the area did recover it still showed scars of the fire as there were trees with foliage only on one side throughout the park.

I can't say I ever thought I'd see a Major League Baseball manager and general manager get suspended for the entire season for cheating in previous years. But, it happened today. And, it could happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I can't say I ever thought I'd see a Major League Baseball manager and general manager get suspended for the entire season for cheating in previous years. But, it happened today. And, it could happen again.
    Well, there was the Black Sox Scandal. But it's pretty safe to say none of us was around in 1919.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I see it on the news but have never witnessed cars smashing into buildings. WTF is wrong with people? Are they drunk, high? WTF.
    Cranial Rectumitis

For the last several years I've been a utility locator for Puget Sound Energy (811 - Call Before You Dig). I see lots of car-vs-pole accidents. Its usually because of a combination of speed, drugs and alcohol or distracted driving. Accidents don't happen, they're caused. Most are avoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Hitting the wrong pedal, mostly.

There are no intelligence tests for a driver's license. The term I've heard used is "recto-cranial inversion."

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Accidents don't happen, they're caused.
    On this morning's roads that may not be true. The black ice at 24º was horrendous.

^^ I'll take 115 degree summer days over that any day.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Hitting the wrong pedal, mostly.
    The dates on the drivers' licenses usually skew towards the first half of the previous century in these cases.