Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Genesis cd editions

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    (The Who Sell Out was genuinely an improvement in remixed form IMHO).
    I agree with this.

As was the remix of Bitches Brew.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^I didn't have an issue with the 5.1 mixes. I enjoyed the interview/extra content as well. But those versions are also out of print.
    I'm not surprised those are out of print too, since physical media is declining across the board.

But it also wouldn't surprise me to see their albums reissued again, since that seems to be a cyclical thing for any big name legacy band/artist.

I think Hackett's successful touring shows there's still a market for the old Genesis stuff. As I said those 80s CDs could probably be bettered.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I agree with this.

In the case of ...Sell Out, the original in both mono/stereo is murky. And there's a downright horrific edit within 'Rael'. The remix is nicely done. The bad Who one IMHO is Odds And Sods.

I'm not sure if I've heard the original of Bitches Brew.

John Lennon's catalogue was also remixed with the originals disappearing for a while. That changed in 2010. However, again, these remixes were mostly good and sometimes better than the originals!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I
    The original 80's cd of Bitches Brew was horrible, but it wasn't the problem of the original mix. If you get one of the Mastersound Japan cd's of Bitches Brew with the original mix, you'll find that it's great.

I have the 80s,90s & Davis versions of all the Peter Gabriel albums on CD.
    I should do an A,B,C comparison

Of the 90s 'remasters', Trespass and Foxtrot are inferior to the 80s CDs. The others aren't bad really.

Udi - I busted out the original Virgin/Charisma CD version of Foxtrot this week. It sounds absolutely fantastic and I don't think you will find a better version (aside from the vinyl perhaps?). If you can find a used copy for a few shillings, it is totally worth it. Nursery Cryme on V/C is also the shiznet.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Udi - I busted out the original Virgin/Charisma CD version of Foxtrot this week. It sounds absolutely fantastic and I don't think you will find a better version (aside from the vinyl perhaps?). If you can find a used copy for a few shillings, it is totally worth it. Nursery Cryme on V/C is also the shiznet.
    agreed

There is a 3 CD set of Trespass, N/C, and Foxtrot....all are picture discs....do these sound good? I’m trying to repurchase all the original masters....
    So much music....so little time....

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    There is a 3 CD set of Trespass, N/C, and Foxtrot....all are picture discs....do these sound good? I’m trying to repurchase all the original masters....
    Yes, those are the Virgin/Charisma pressings with the cropped cover art. There is a second set with Selling England and The Lamb, and also a PG solo set (first four, I think).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

As noted above that should consist of the 80s CD masters. There were a lot of these sets:

https://www.discogs.com/label/549048...tors-Edition-4

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yes, those are the Virgin/Charisma pressings with the cropped cover art. There is a second set with Selling England and The Lamb, and also a PG solo set (first four, I think).
    About 2/3 through the 90's, when we did the "blind tests" about comparing the vinyl version, the first gen (chopped cover) CD and the latest remasters, we all came to the conclusion that the first gen CD were definitely worth keeping. So as we had also compared those picture discs of mine, we came to the conclusion they were first gen. Glad I did keep them (boxsets) and through the years, I was able to obtain cheaply the full un-chopped artwork booklets for the first box (the artworks for SE and Lamb were not as badly chopped off), not that the second generation booklets were perfect in any way either.
    The Mini-Lps don't have "booklets" as such - just a fold-out with Jap translation and Eng lyrics sides.
    I only have the final version of the booklets via the 5.1 green box and they're not perfect either.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Thanks for the info! I think I can get the first one at least for a reasonable price....
    So much music....so little time....

Make sure it's the cropped cover art ones though. Virgin re-issued that box set of three picture discs in 1994, but with the DE Remaster discs instead.

Avoid at ALL COST any CD that's been done post 1990. Only the 80s AAD versions are acceptable in comparison to the original vinyl.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Make sure it's the cropped cover art ones though. Virgin re-issued that box set of three picture discs in 1994, but with the DE Remaster discs instead.
    Had never heard of this, but sure enough.

https://www.discogs.com/Genesis-Tres...lease/13480024

https://www.discogs.com/Genesis-Sell...lease/13482698

Have the 'remasters' sticker on them but the boxes still have the old cropped cover photos of the albums. What's with that??

Interestingly- or not!- the 1970-2 Genesis set was seemingly the first of these triple boxes released, based on its catalogue number.

My two picture discs boxsets are not blue-colour but yellow/cream with na marble effect

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/co...yme-foxtrot-1/
    https://www.discogs.com/Genesis-Tres...elease/2269579

and they date from 1990, not 94
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

same goes for The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway ?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    My two picture discs boxsets are not blue-colour but yellow/cream with na marble effect

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/co...yme-foxtrot-1/
    https://www.discogs.com/Genesis-Tres...elease/2269579

and they date from 1990, not 94
    Are you saying the Boxsets are also audiophile quality like the Charisma cropped CDs?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Are you saying the Boxsets are also audiophile quality like the Charisma cropped CDs?
    the yellow/cream marble boxsets, it was our conclusion when we did our comparative test: they were identical to the 80's first gen pressings
    the Tresspass disc is marked CASCD 1020 , the NC CASCD 1052 , etc...

as for the blue boxsets, I have no idea (I don't own them), but I'd have a hard time believing they would repackage the boxset with the old chopped artworks if the discs are the remastered ones.

EDIT:
    What a friggin' mess!!!! I just checked on discogs the blue boxsets are terrible in terms or presention:
    From the pictires (link below the cover) , the artworks on the outer case show the cropped artworks but inside are the definitive remaster version CD, whereas the the cream outer case show the full album artworks but contain the chopped artworks
    Last edited by Trane; 01-22-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Yes, in short, the boxes without the cropped album covers on the front of the box are obviously the ones to have!

I know there's some sort of controversy over a 'hum' being audible on the original CD (and even some pressings of the record) of The Lamb... However, I have never noticed it. I believe the 90s remaster didn't have it. The 90s CD is OK really, although ISTR the indexing of 'Broadway Melody Of 1974' was wrong (Track 3 was- wrongly- the instrumental bridge between 'Broadway Melody...' and 'Cuckoo Cocoon'). Was it also wrong on the original CD? I forget. And it's not that big a deal as I always play it in full anyway.

Mojo - March 2020 has an article of the making of "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway". They briefly mention Summer 2020 will see the release of a new, rebooted bells and whistles edition of the Lamb. But that was it, no more information. Does anyone else know what they could be referring to?

^Interesting, I've heard nothing about that at all. But then they don't even really have a website.

The holy grail of Lamb-related releases for me would be the full multi-track of Wembley 1975, rumoured to exist. The 70-odd minutes that are out there (via radio broadcasts) suggest a much better performance than the Shrine one they used for the Archive box. Provided Gabriel didn't overdub the hell out of it, anyway...

Yes, in short, the boxes without the cropped album covers on the front of the box are obviously the ones to have!
    Well, except that the best Selling England-Lamb box does have cropped artwork for The Lamb on the box cover. Frustrating I know.

My 2 cents...I have all of the 1994 DE remasters and enjoy them all, with the following exceptions/replacements:
    - Duke does not sound good; I have the Atlantic disc (pressed in Japan) which sounds fabulous.
    - Trick is also not great; I have the ATCO disc which is also fabulous.
    - Trespass; I have a Canadian MCA disc which is not perfect but is a step up.