Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Neil Peart

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    Has anyone noticed some of the scheming going on in social media in regards to Neil's death? One example is commemorative t-shirts showing a photoshopped Geddy holding a shirt with his wine cellar as a back drop. That didn't take long.
    Yes, there are scammers afoot. Dodgy t-shirts are one thing, but asking for donations to some 'fund' are really pushing it IMO. One guy lost his mind when he was called out on it too, and swore at everyone, calling them "all a bunch of f***ing posers". Gee, just what Neil would have wanted.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I Love the roadside billboard though. I'm sure he would be a bit embarrassed, but geeze, fans gotta be fans.

I really need a confirmation to believe this quote below. But then again, I never want to hear these words again if true...

“...I knew, when they were ending the RUSH tour, that he was sick," Sully claimed. "And then I knew it, even up to a year ago or so, he was in a wheelchair and he couldn't speak. And it was just becoming more and more sad to me....”

Link to story:
    https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/go...-to-his-death/

Apparently they were contacted in late 2015, early 2016 about doing a residency here in Vegas. George Strait had also quit touring but had hooked up for weekend residency shows three or four times a year. It was a no go but damn, that would have been cool if it could have happened.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by LashedToTheMast View Post
    I really need a confirmation to believe this quote below. But then again, I never want to hear these words again if true...
    From what I've heard, Sully Erna has a reputation as a talented but rather unpleasant guy. You might want to take anything he says with a whole shaker of salt.

Neil never was the type of guy to throw out drumsticks. My buddy and I got lucky on the RTB show.

We had second row seats so while the arena guys are trying to get the chairs out of the way, row by row as they are attached to each other, he asks a roadie for some sticks. He gave use a used pair, left and right hand sticks. He went behind the riser, pulled them out and gave them to us.

I have hanging on my wall one of the rarest Rush/Neil collectors item, a real used stick from Neil.

It's a left hand stick. My buddy had the right hand. Funny as the roadie just grabbed some but they were a perfect pair. You can tell from the damage to it what hand it was used. Mine was used briefly with the tip then turned around with the butt end striking the snare head and rim. Really dented by the rim in the inner section so much so that I can see why he put it away. A few cymbal gouges in mine but the right hand stick was gouged to hell by the cymbals.

I just had one of those moments. Should have had this years ago, but never really thought about it. I have something he touched.

Maybe it just hits more now but I never really thought about, like, really weird, that his dna is on that stick.

I used pro-mark 747's because he did and because I liked them. Nice heft to them. I can strike real well with my left hand on the snare with one of those.

I read that Neil did actually hand out sticks quite often. When he saw fans really enjoying his playing he would ask his roadie to go and give them to people in the audience.

Wow. What a beautiful and powerful tribute from Doane Perry:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neil Ellwood Peart - 9/12/52 - 1/7/20

I want to thank all the people who have so kindly written, texted, posted or called regarding Neil's passing. Like so many, this has completely undone me and I haven't quite known where to start. I am working on something more substantial to be posted in the future when things have settled a little for everyone.

During the last three and a half years, Neil faced this brutal, aggressive brain cancer bravely, philosophically and with his customary humor, sometimes light and occasionally dark - all very characteristic of him, even given the serious situation and the odds handed to him at the time of the diagnosis and subsequent surgery. But he fought it. By his own request for privacy, few people knew, but his understandable response to this news in no way excludes or diminishes ALL of those who also knew him, worked with him or loved and admired him from up close, or at a distance. His tenacious approach to life served him well during these last years and although he primarily kept his own counsel, he retained his dignity, compassion, understanding and his deeply inquisitive nature, which never deserted him. Remarkably, considering the severity of his condition (glioblastoma) and through the resulting aftermath, he really had no pain. This was always my first question when I saw him.
    “Any pain?” I asked.
    “No pain”, came the reply.
    What a blessing that was. We were all grateful for that.

For every one of us who loved him, near and far, this is a loss that is difficult and impossible to summarize in a few short paragraphs. The outpouring of love, respect and appreciation from every imaginable quarter for this extraordinary, singular talent and beautiful man with a mind like no one I have ever met, is touching beyond words. To those that had to guard and hold on to this information closely for three and a half years, for obvious and protective reasons; his wife Carrie, daughter Olivia, his loving family, band, colleagues and friends, they have my undying admiration. You know who you are.

Apart from his deeply gifted, genius talent and prolific output, which he brilliantly displayed through music, lyric and prose writing and that staggering storehouse of knowledge across an array of subjects in multiple fields, he remained a kind, gentle, considerate and modest soul and a consummate gentleman… as well as an extraordinary friend. If you were his friend, you knew it and he understood how to be the best friend that you could ever hope to have. I think I speak for all, known and unknown to him, to say he will be deeply missed, eternally loved, appreciated and remembered for his many invaluable contributions to music, art and the written word. That will be forever celebrated.

Despite what he knew and we knew which was inevitable, I believe there is some sense of relief that this long, difficult odyssey has finally ended.

Thank you my dear friend, for passing this way. We are all richer for your presence and light in our lives.

Doane Perry - January 16th, 2020
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I would guess they would be much more satisfied sitting in with other bands. I would not be surprised if they already have a number of opportunities on that front.
    Alex has been seen sitting in at club gigs the past few years and he also did a guest appearance on the latest Fu Manchu album on a long 18-minute instrumental (uncharacteristic for this band) called Il Mostro Atomico (a takeoff on La Villa Strangiato). I would like if Alex and Ged wrote some instrumental stuff and toured with a drummer as the Lee Lifeson Experience and did all the Rush instrumentals along with their new material.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Neil never was the type of guy to throw out drumsticks. My buddy and I got lucky on the RTB show.

We had second row seats so while the arena guys are trying to get the chairs out of the way, row by row as they are attached to each other, he asks a roadie for some sticks. He gave use a used pair, left and right hand sticks. He went behind the riser, pulled them out and gave them to us.

I have hanging on my wall one of the rarest Rush/Neil collectors item, a real used stick from Neil.

It's a left hand stick. My buddy had the right hand. Funny as the roadie just grabbed some but they were a perfect pair. You can tell from the damage to it what hand it was used. Mine was used briefly with the tip then turned around with the butt end striking the snare head and rim. Really dented by the rim in the inner section so much so that I can see why he put it away. A few cymbal gouges in mine but the right hand stick was gouged to hell by the cymbals.

I just had one of those moments. Should have had this years ago, but never really thought about it. I have something he touched.

Maybe it just hits more now but I never really thought about, like, really weird, that his dna is on that stick.

I used pro-mark 747's because he did and because I liked them. Nice heft to them. I can strike real well with my left hand on the snare with one of those.
    Reminds me of something I forgot about. My very first concert was during the "A Farewell to Kings" tour in November of '77. During the show, Neil tossed a drumstick and a girl we were with and I both caught it with one hand each. Since it hit her face first, I let her have it. I've regretted that ever since. She wasn't even attractive.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Wow. What a beautiful and powerful tribute from Doane Perry
    Beautifully worded eulogy. Thanks!

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Beautifully worded eulogy. Thanks!
    Certainly is. And it complete debunks the comments from that Sully Erna jerk.
    Chad

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Apparently they were contacted in late 2015, early 2016 about doing a residency here in Vegas. George Strait had also quit touring but had hooked up for weekend residency shows three or four times a year. It was a no go but damn, that would have been cool if it could have happened.
    They never would have done it. It would have been a very un-Rush thing to do.
    Chad

That one from Doane was a good read. I guess we all wondered if he suffered towards the end and it's nice to hear he wasn't in pain.

Quote Originally Posted by LashedToTheMast View Post

“...I knew, when they were ending the RUSH tour, that he was sick," Sully claimed. "And then I knew it, even up to a year ago or so, he was in a wheelchair and he couldn't speak. And it was just becoming more and more sad to me....”

Link to story:
    https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/go...-to-his-death/

I'm not buying this.

For any folks that might be interested in Neil's books, Audible has a pretty nice promotion going for the next few weeks:

https://www.audible.com/author/Neil-Peart/B000APH4T0

In light of Neil Peart’s passing, and in honor of his life and contributions to the world of audio, Audible is offering select works at no cost* through January 28th, 2020.
    *While free to all listeners, rights holders will be compensated.

The "select works at no cost" currently include:
    * The Masked Rider: Cycling in West Africa (1996)
    * Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road (2002)
    * Travelling Music: The Soundtrack to My Life and Times (2004)
    * Roadshow: Landscape with Drums: A Concert Tour by Motorcycle (2006)
    * Far and Away: A Prize Every Time (2011)
    * Far and Near: On Days Like These (2014)
    * Far and Wide: Bring That Horizon to Me (2016)

All books are on the Audible Author page link above. Alas, none of these are actually narrated by Neil. For that experience, you could purchase Kevin J. Anderson's Clockwork Angels audiobook for $10.49 (also listed on the Author's Page link above, along with Clockwork Lives.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    I'm not buying this.
    Me, neither. I've never heard anything about Rush from that guy/band. Granted, I haven't paid that much attention to him...

I haven't been this blindsided by a death since David Bowie passed. Still stunned a week later. Rest In Power, Neil. Thank you (and Geddy & Alex) for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I read that Neil did actually hand out sticks quite often. When he saw fans really enjoying his playing he would ask his roadie to go and give them to people in the audience.
    That's something I didn't know. Works out better that way as you know the person gets their souvenir instead of just lofting them into the crowd. I never saw that happen the few times I had seats down in front but it's something I could easily see him doing.

That's something I didn't know. Works out better that way as you know the person gets their souvenir instead of just lofting them into the crowd. I never saw that happen the few times I had seats down in front but it's something I could easily see him doing.
    It happens more than one might think with many drummers. Not uncommon. I've worked with many bands where the drummer asks me to hand someone a stick. Same with guitarists and their picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    They never would have done it. It would have been a very un-Rush thing to do.
    True, but the thought of being able to catch a half dozen or so shows just a few miles from home would have been really nice.

A little nitpick about the article that was in. Dude spelled it La Villa Strongiato. I want to kick the guy in the ding ding.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    It happens more than one might think with many drummers. Not uncommon. I've worked with many bands where the drummer asks me to hand someone a stick. Same with guitarists and their picks.
    All the shows I've seen over the years I can't remember seeing nor hearing of this. Maybe my memory is faulty but now that I think about it it makes sense.

Learn something new everyday.

Yes, he mentions it in several of his books. He mentions reading signs, watching people, and yes, sending sticks out.

(The amount of people that received letters and postcards from him over the years is apparently quite large. He really was a nice guy. Just shy.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Yes, he mentions it in several of his books. He mentions reading signs, watching people, and yes, sending sticks out.

(The amount of people that received letters and postcards from him over the years is apparently quite large. He really was a nice guy. Just shy.)
    You are correct. My memory is faulty. I have Ghost Rider and Roadshow and while I read the latter mostly on auto-pilot as I found it underwhelming there's got to be mentions in there of this. I do now remember this from somewhere.

This place is like the ultimate auto-correct. I say something stupid and you all tell me how stupid I am. My mind certainly isn't what it used to be.