Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Neil Peart

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    This hurts as much as the loss of both Keith Emerson and Chris Squire.
    I'd say Daevid Allen and Paul Kantner in recent years.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm pissed off. Been watching the Canadian Broadcasting News (CBC) news for hours and no acknowledgement.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 01-12-2020 at 12:18 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    This one gets me choked up every single time. Just amazing.

I hadn’t seen that , and MAN. That was some REALLY REAL love.

Really nice to see.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^Darryl McDaniels @ 1:25!

Gutted, to say the least. There will never be another.

Here's my small contribution that will hopefully contribute to healing. When the news broke on Friday afternoon, a music talk show on SiriusXM called Debatable suspended regular programming to concentrate on Neil's passing. Drummers such as Mike Portnoy, Kenny Aronoff, and Will Calhoun called in to give their thoughts, as well as the general audience. This went on for over 3 hours. Here's an MP3 of it to those interested...

http://masiweb.net/misc/Debatable-SX...rt_Tribute.mp3

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

That is rather special
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 01-11-2020 at 08:20 PM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Cool article, Elias. Neil always enjoyed his privacy and never infringed on anyone else's. I'm kind of an unusual music fan in that I have almost zero desire to meet my heroes or intrude on their personal space. Hell, I couldn't even muster the enthusiasm to get in line at all those Nearfests I attended to meet those bands; it's just not me. Part of it is shyness, I suppose, and part of it is that I really don't want to bother anyone.

Notice that some of the guys standing up and cheering are real musicians - Dave Grohl, Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine), Chad Smith (Chili Peppers).

Abstract Time
    Sad news;

I didn't know he was sick - my condolences to his family and friends - may god bless you all - (if that's what you believe in - if not Peace!!)

I guess a small circle of people did know he was sick and were told to to keep silent.....or don't tell the media....must be weird to be that famous......I heard the news yesterday and was surprised - 67 is young.

My favorite drummer and band from age 10 thru 15 - wonderful lyricist also...very big influence on my playing - 1978 to 1982. (approx.)

Oh well that's life.

The human body is an extension of the spirit and soul into the 3 dimensional world as far as I can tell ;-)

(Lucky to leave this shit hole of a world - what a strange place this is) - I hope he didn't go thru to much pain, my sympathies.

Thank you for many lessons in drumming - and singing

Sad Farewell to a King of Musicians and composers

Peace - Paul
    Last edited by Abstract Time; 01-11-2020 at 09:04 PM.

I was working CES in Vegas when I got the news. Glad I was super busy, because it gave me some time to process.

For me, this is a personal tragedy for a guy who went through some really tough things, came out the other side, and you can't help but feeling got kind of ripped off not being able to enjoy more of his new life. Very sad.

Rush was important to me in high-school and early college during what I consider their golden years, 1976-1982. I caught some great shows of theirs after that into the 90s, but their albums after 1982 never resonated with me and I sort of lost touch. So Rush has been gone for me a long time. But my thoughts go to Neil the person, who I respect deeply in how he handled stardom and the challenges he faced in his life. Truly a life well lived, albeit far too short, and an inspiration in so many ways.

Bill

They just played Tom Sawyer before the commercial break at the Ravens/Titans game.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

^ They played "Limelight" for the bump back on the early game.

Man, look at this picture I found. Opening for Kiss in 1975. I don't think I've ever seen a photo of Neil having to play 'the smaller kit' in front of the main act's kit like that.

cd.jpg

My wife just came home with a bottle of The Macallan. Tonight, we toast to Neil.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Lots of tributes already being posted on youtube. I find it kind of cathartic to watch these. The third one is quite the tear jerker.

Last edited by UnderAGlassMoon; 01-12-2020 at 02:15 PM.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

I'm gutted by this. Rush has been one of my favourite bands since childhood. Change the nerdy boy in the "Subdivisions" video to a nerdy girl, and that was me in 1982. I was always able to relate to Neil's lyrics, and he is my favourite rock drummer of all time.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Laura

Not a huge Rush fan, but he WAS an awesome drummer, the only time I saw Rush, was for free, at a Don Kirschner Rock Concert taping, when their first album was released...

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Cool article, Elias. Neil always enjoyed his privacy and never infringed on anyone else's. I'm kind of an unusual music fan in that I have almost zero desire to meet my heroes or intrude on their personal space. Hell, I couldn't even muster the enthusiasm to get in line at all those Nearfests I attended to meet those bands; it's just not me. Part of it is shyness, I suppose, and part of it is that I really don't want to bother anyone.
    Steve! Long time!

I wasn't this upset when Chris Squire passed away, I guess Neil just had a bigger influence on me with his lyrics and all his books which I cherish.

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I'm gutted by this. Rush has been one of my favourite bands since childhood. Change the nerdy boy in the "Subdivisions" video to a nerdy girl, and that was me in 1982. I was always able to relate to Neil's lyrics, and he is my favourite rock drummer of all time.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Same here. When I was in high school in the 80s, I didn't know anyone else who listened to Rush. They were my band. Everyone else was into Twisted Sister or Motley Crue; Rush was thought of as a nerdy band in my neck of the woods, if they ever came up at all. It's kind of amazing that in the end, Rush became one of the biggest bands on the planet-or at least in North America. Meanwhile, so many other 80s bands were forgotten decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Steve! Long time!

Yes indeed, fellow former SOTer!

From Kevin J. Anderson, close collaborator of Neil's and the author of the Clockwork Angels book:

At least I got to say goodbye. As it became clear that the time was getting close, I frantically looked for when I could schedule a trip to LA to see Neil, but if you’ve followed my posts, you know that this was one of my most crammed years for travel, as well as my two-week Residency at college. I also flew out to Arizona four times to see my dad as he was in the last stages of liver cancer. (He died July 27.)

I stared at the calendar and it just didn’t seem possible to add another trip, never home for more than one or two days at a time. Screw it. I contacted Neil, “Are you free for lunch Tuesday? I’ll come to LA.” He was. I bought a ticket, got on a plane in the morning, flew to LAX, caught an Uber and went to the Cave (Neil’s private sanctuary). He was glad to see me, we talked for an hour, and we discussed Clockwork Destiny, even though we both knew it would never be finished in time for him to read it.

We went out to a nice lunch and on the way back, he asked, “So what brings you to LA? Do you have a conference?” I was surprised. “No, I came to see you.” He was clearly dubious. “No, why are you really here?” “I came to see you. I fly back home this afternoon.” He paused for a long time, trying to get his head around the idea. Anybody who knew Neil will understand it. He just didn’t let himself believe that someone would do that.

Back at the Cave, we talked some more, but he was starting to lose energy and needed to rest, so I called an Uber to take me to the airport. Standing in the doorway he gave me a big hug—because he was about a foot taller than me—and I told him how much he meant to me, and he said he loved me. And that’s the last time I saw him, and now I can’t stop crying. I’m so glad I did it, and I couldn’t have written it better if I tried. At least I got to say goodbye, and I will treasure that always.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^^^ Thanks for that, heart warming.

This is good: