Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Neil Peart

^^ I'd love to the hear Spectrum show from May 22, 1981, but it's my understanding that the only recording floating around is pretty terrible.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

are RIP threads ok on the main board now?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    are RIP threads ok on the main board now?
    You still mad about the Larry Coryell thing?

no actually... just wondering if there's any rule,
    or if it just depends on whether or not the moderator thinks one artist is more worthy than another?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Banned
    or if it just depends on whether or not the moderator thinks one artist is more worthy than another?
    That is a fair question in my view. I like the heck out of Rush and Neil, however, it would be helpful to learn if there is a dividing line between artists relative to the RIP aspect. Is it up to the moderators? Perhaps a specific RIP forum post would serve to acknowledge all the great artists (or those who are not considered great, but very good) who have passed on. I noticed with much sadness the passing of Lyle Mays.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Is the dead person Neil frickin Peart? Yes - front page, No - somewhere else.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

What difference does it make where the RIP thread is? If a major prog artists passes I think it's worthy. I could never imagine, say, Jon Anderson's death being relegated to off-topic.

Really, I wish I had so few problems in my life that I worried about such things.

Rule of thumb in my book:

Major Prog artist dies, front page. Bit actor and game show celebritty Orson Bean dies, off-topic.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Why not just leave it alone? The moderators appear fine with it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Still sad...
    Yup, me too. Now playing This Way Up but will be playing Rush again after that.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

No new lyrics... ever.. its upsetting. Is Kevin J Anderson going to finish the book he and Neil were working on?

Maybe the most reasonable explanation is the most simple. We aren’t constantly “policing” the site 24/7, nor do we want to. Things get missed.

The answer is that all RIP threads should be started in the OT Music & Arts forum.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Maybe the most reasonable explanation is the most simple. We aren’t constantly “policing” the site 24/7, nor do we want to. Things get missed.

The answer is that all RIP threads should be started in the OT Music & Arts forum.
    fair enough... it was just puzzling that some progressive music artist RIPs are instantly deemed unworthy and moved elsewhere while others are allowed to sit on the main board for weeks. That's why I was wondering if there is a rule or if it is just moderator personal preference regarding who is worthy to sit on the main board.

Good to know that all RIPs should be moved from the main board with no exceptions.

fair enough... it was just puzzling that some progressive music artist RIPs are instantly deemed unworthy and moved elsewhere while others are allowed to sit on the main board for weeks.
    It usually happens as a result of a poster not knowing where to post it, maybe occasionally out of "defiance". Often I will change it when I catch it. We will certainly change it if someone tells us. But speaking for myself (not for Sean or Duncan), I view this website using "new posts". So I often don't see which forum something is in unless I click on the thread.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

It usually happens as a result of a poster not knowing where to post it, maybe occasionally out of "defiance". Often I will change it when I catch it. We will certainly change it if someone tells us. But speaking for myself (not for Sean or Duncan), I view this website using "new posts". So I often don't see which forum something is in unless I click on the thread.
    I deem that explanation worthy.

good explanation... I was merely looking for clarification of the rule since this thread has been left on the main board for several weeks and for some reason Lyle Mays was deemed unworthy of the main board in less than a day. Poor guy didn't even get one week on the main board

Of all the ridiculous things to be concerned with. Typical, though. At least it took 11 pages this time.

I believe I did initially post this in the Off Topic section, and it re-appeared in the main board when it got merged with a second, later thread that someone else started without checking first. But I also use the New Posts feature (I can't imagine wanting to do it any other way, personally), so silly concerns such as "Why is this thread here and that one there" are never a part of my life. Nor will I ever be the kind of person who sweats the small stuff like this - but it takes all kinds, I suppose.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    good explanation... I was merely looking for clarification of the rule since this thread has been left on the main board for several weeks and for some reason Lyle Mays was deemed unworthy of the main board in less than a day. Poor guy didn't even get one week on the main board
    Congratualtions MT! You've tried to derail a thread with hundreds of heartfelt posts from members who are truly sad over Neil's passing. I'm certain you don't even like Rush and you comparison shows how you were offended. You deleted your first post. Just becuase this thread is not about obscure artists like the latest Mongolian nose flute player, you get upset. Get a life.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

actually, I liked Rush and Neil Peart. Odd that there are people here that would promote a "don't ask questions" ideology. I do not think Neil would approve of that.

Banned
    actually, I liked Rush and Neil Peart. Odd that there are people here that would promote a "don't ask questions" ideology. I do not think Neil would approve of that.
    Agreed. I bought the first Rush "explosion" album after it was released and especially when they travelled down the more progressive road, I enjoyed them immensely. A great band. When one starts to place a value on another's life after death, it becomes quite unseemly. To some here, the passing of Lyle Mays was just as traumatic as the death of Neil Peart. I am one of those.

No one is disrespected by placing RIP notices in the Off Topic forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    When one starts to place a value on another's life after death, it becomes quite unseemly.
    No one is disrespected by placing RIP notices in the Off Topic forum.
    What's unseemly is for MT to bark and whine about such trivial matters in the Lyle Mays thread, and when zero attention is paid to him there, to march on over to this one and de-rail it with his petty nonsense.

Those of us who view the entire forum at once via the New Posts feature never even take notice of which sub-forum the threads are in. The RIP threads could be in a section titled "Candy Floss And Rainbows" for all I care. What's important is the content of the threads, particularly the heartfelt responses by our fellow forumers when it comes to losing personal heroes like Peart or Mays. What isn't important is all...this.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

If I post something off topic in the on topic, will that get me banned? or just shamed?

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    If I post something off topic in the on topic, will that get me banned? or just shamed?
    Not to be a whiny nitpicker, but shouldn't this question be in the Way Off-Topic forum?

^ Nobody wants to ban you, you're the G.O.A.T.