Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Neil Peart

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    (Bruuuce is what they thought blue-collar music should be.)
    Except that Bruce lacks the authenticity.

I think women didn't go for rush because of Geddy's voice.
    Orange is the new stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Except that Bruce lacks the authenticity.
    Bruuuuce is like Dylan; he writes about it, but didn't live all of it. (Some of it he did live, specifically a dozen-or-so years of poverty and his troubles with his dad.) Not living it but writing about it is OK, in the critics' book, so long as you write about it well, and they consider him to write about it well.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I think women didn't go for Rush because of Geddy's voice.
    Maybe you're right about Geddy's voice, but women seemed to like Zeppelin well enough, and Geddy sounds quite a bit like Robert. Although he doesn't have the "soulful" inflections, the "OOOO YEAH!s" and melismas and other such interjections and ornamentations, which might be a big part of Robert's appeal. Geddy also sounds a little like Jon Anderson - not in the timbre of his voice, but in his relatively straightforward delivery without all the add-ons. Which may be why I always found Geddy less annoying than Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Bruuuuce is like Dylan; he writes about it, but didn't live all of it. (Some of it he did live, specifically a dozen-or-so years of poverty and his troubles with his dad.) Not living it but writing about it is OK, in the critics' book, so long as you write about it well, and they consider him to write about it well.

Maybe you're right about Geddy's voice, but women seemed to like Zeppelin well enough, and Geddy sounds quite a bit like Robert. Although he doesn't have the "soulful" inflections, the "OOOO YEAH!s" and melismas and other such interjections and ornamentations, which might be a big part of Robert's appeal. Geddy also sounds a little like Jon Anderson - not in the timbre of his voice, but in his relatively straightforward delivery without all the add-ons. Which may be why I always found Geddy less annoying than Robert.
    Dylan certainly doesn't lack authenticity, though. He does whatever the fuck he wants. He's the epitome of nonconformity which, one can argue, epitomizes authenticity. Personally, I never bought Bruce's rolled-up-sleeves, working-class persona.

FWIW, my wife LOATHES Led Zeppelin, specifically because of Plant's voice. I think his sex appeal may give him more than an edge over Geddy with the ladies.

My wife dislikes any hard rock or metal. Or just about any rock come to think of it. After numerous concerts, she became OK with Rush (in limited doses). She thinks Geddy is intriguing but no sexy beast. She calls Robert Plant "the big mosquito" because of the high vox. But I've played it enough that there are some songs she likes (especially acoustic or textured things like "Ten Years Gone"). However, she joined me for a Plant show back in the early 90s, partially because she liked the song "29 Palms". We were ten rows back in a large theater. After a few minutes she said that while he still wasn't her cup of tea, he definitely was the definition of stage presence. Geddy is cool, but never got that praise.

I think if Ged and Alex did a tour with a new drummer, maybe even someone on keys, and new music - it would do well. Maybe large theaters but that would suit a lot of us just fine.

Oh, and there was a way higher ratio of women in that Plant show than any Rush show I've been too. Same with Zeppelin. I've told the story before about my wife dancing to "Roll the Bones" at a show and some fan boys going into spasms at seeing a woman, dancing, at a Rush show.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post

I think if Ged and Alex did a tour with a new drummer, maybe even someone on keys, and new music - it would do well. Maybe large theaters but that would suit a lot of us just fine.
    Large theaters? They would be playing to over 5,000 and wouldn't be surprised at 10,000 in the largest cities.

I love stuff like this. A surprisingly recent (October 2019) reminiscence by Neil's dad about the year his son worked as the parts manager in his farm equipment store, just before joining Rush. Neil's parents are still alive and still living in Ontario, well into their 90s now I would imagine. As tough as it is for us fans, I can't imagine how awful it is for them to outlive a child.

https://www.farm-equipment.com/artic...rned-rock-star

Quote Originally Posted by olias View Post
    I love stuff like this. A surprisingly recent (October 2019) reminiscence by Neil's dad about the year his son worked as the parts manager in his farm equipment store, just before joining Rush. Neil's parents are still alive and still living in Ontario, well into their 90s now I would imagine. As tough as it is for us fans, I can't imagine how awful it is for them to outlive a child.

https://www.farm-equipment.com/artic...rned-rock-star
    Thanks for that, its wonderful that his parents are still alive but must be so heart breaking for them.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Curious question........if a few years down the road Geddy and Alex decided to tour with another drummer would you guys go see it? I doubt that they would call it Rush, but I could see something like this happening at some point, now that Neil is gone.
    i think they’d rather have their feet chewn off by a goat than do that. it would be an exercise in undignified self-indulgence and it would plainly be a weird move by a band so bonded by camaraderie, self-reflective strive for perfection and, yes, dignified conduct in a business that often stands in stark opposition to this. alex and geddy seem happy with book tours and incidental spoken word appearances and they remain visible sharing a legacy still so vibrant that it needs no artificial revival.

As tough as it is for us fans, I can't imagine how awful it is for them to outlive a child.
    I have outlived a granddaughter. It is so far beyond awful I have no words, and more than a year later I still cannot really process that loss and wake every day thinking about it. I think this is part of the reason why Peart's death resonates with me and has hit so hard, knowing he had suffered such a loss and somehow found a way forward- but it is clear that the loss had significantly affected him as a human being. You could see it and of course understand it- at least intellectually.

It is also why Rush means so much to my son. While he rarely ever posts anything to social media, he did when he learned of Peart's death- and he quoted a germane lyric about loss from Rush. He and Peart shared something no parent should ever go through. MY son's play lists are always a compendium of soul, rhythm and blues and roots music- and Rush.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I have been listening to all of the Rush albums in order this week from the debut onwards. I am currently up to "Power Windows". This band produced such a great collection of music, and were able to do it by changing their sound and experimenting with a lot of different things over the years. Just an amazing career really.

Curious question........if a few years down the road Geddy and Alex decided to tour with another drummer would you guys go see it? I doubt that they would call it Rush, but I could see something like this happening at some point, now that Neil is gone.
    I don't think they would ever tour as a trio - to close to the heart, as it were. Would I go see them live? Absolutely. They're my heroes and I will always support them.
    Chad

I definitely would. I wouldn't want it to be purely a Rush nostalgia show, though. I'd love to see them do an album where they pull in various collaborators and do some surprising things. Not under the Rush banner, though.

I came across a really nice collection of written tributes to Neil from various movers and shakers in the music business. The host site is Hudson Music, which had a hand in producing Neil's instructional drumming videos, along with some of the documentaries related to Neil's other "special" projects (Burning for Buddy, Hockey Night in Canada Theme). There's some great pictures in here, too.

https://hudsonmusic.com/neil-peart/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Justin

In terms of Alex and Geddy performing again, I'd certainly love to see them. I can imagine a scenario where they find a talented drummer to play with them live, or perhaps even record an album. Much harder to imagine them finding a new lyricist. Perhaps an all-instrumental album?

I wonder if Neil continued to write over these last few years. I've enjoyed his other books quite a bit, and would welcome any chance to "hear" his voice on some new subjects. Perhaps he even continued to write lyrics? Feels a bit selfish to dream.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Justin

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Here’s The NY Times obituary type thing:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/13/o...eart-rush.html

I love this line: “LA Weekly once called Rush ‘the anchovies of rock music’— loved by a select few, hated by many. ‘“

and this:

“To be a Rush fan in the 1980s had about as much social cachet as being treasurer of the math club.”

Quote Originally Posted by olias View Post
    I definitely would. I wouldn't want it to be purely a Rush nostalgia show, though. I'd love to see them do an album where they pull in various collaborators and do some surprising things. Not under the Rush banner, though.
    I can't imagine Alex and Geddy ever performing under the Rush moniker again. That chapter is closed. But I can definitely see them playing together again. Maybe not in a new group producing albums and all that, but certainly for one-offs, or even for a semi-regular collaboration with other people they get along with. But I don't think it would be another power trio setting. The impulse to create comparisons would be too strong.

Speaking of one-offs, has anyone heard of a Neil tribute/memorial event being organized? I could imagine Alex and Geddy appearing and perhaps even performing together for something like that.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Speaking of one-offs, has anyone heard of a Neil tribute/memorial event being organized? I could imagine Alex and Geddy appearing and perhaps even performing together for something like that.

I think its too soon, but hopeful that after the initial grief is over something might be organised, like Queen did for Freddie. I'm sure many musicians would be up for it.

I wouldn't be interested in a MMF version of Rush, regardless of the name. Geddy's voice is too far gone, imo.

I am down with whatever they decide to do. Neil probably told them what he thought about them playing after his passing. I expect they will honor that - what that is, I have NO idea. - or perhaps they will feel strongly enough themselves to do otherwise. After CA, I believe they still have something left in the rocket sauce bottle they've been shaking for decades. I expect they have been, and will record more, I have no idea if they will ever make it public. You cant stop the creative process. But you can sure lose the desire to share it.
    I got nothin'

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/PapaYode...=page_internal

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBar1 View Post
    I wonder if Neil continued to write over these last few years. I've enjoyed his other books quite a bit, and would welcome any chance to "hear" his voice on some new subjects. Perhaps he even continued to write lyrics? Feels a bit selfish to dream.
    I wondered that too. I also wondered if he wrote any memoir material. We know hee was working on "Clockwork Destiny" with Kevin Anderson based on Kevin's touching tribute post.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    There is one this weekend in California by a cover band called Rash.
    Chad

In the interview with Dan Rather, Geddy said that he knows at some point something will draw him into the studio and it will be time to "feed the beast".
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I would guess they would be much more satisfied sitting in with other bands. I would not be surprised if they already have a number of opportunities on that front.

Has anyone noticed some of the scheming going on in social media in regards to Neil's death? One example is commemorative t-shirts showing a photoshopped Geddy holding a shirt with his wine cellar as a back drop. That didn't take long.