Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Neil Peart

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    If I post something off topic in the on topic, will that get me banned? or just shamed?
    This is starting to sound like a Monty Python skit!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Two universal constants: Cats are dicks, and prog guys ruin everything.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Two universal constants: Cats are dicks, and prog guys ruin everything.
    Attention, Poisoned Youth! Could this be the sig-worthy quote you've been in search of?
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Saw this moving tribute from the United States Army Band on Facebook today, and had to share here.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Justin

Damn, I was just about to post that. An extraordinary cover, the harmony vocals and piano are going to haunt me for a long time.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBar1 View Post
    Saw this moving tribute from the United States Army Band on Facebook today, and had to share here.

Very well done and quite moving as well. Still can't believe he's gone.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Wow, that was amazing. Hearing the song in a different format like this is allowing me to focus more on the lyrics whereas with Rush I'm listening to all the instrumentation foremost. These are just moving lyrics. Pratt hit a home run with this one.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Wow, that was amazing. Hearing the song in a different format like this is allowing me to focus more on the lyrics whereas with Rush I'm listening to all the instrumentation foremost. These are just moving lyrics. Pratt hit a home run with this one.
    Absolutely! Amazing version.
    Chad

Fantastic, and it's always been a favourite of mine. And as time marches on, it becomes more and more touching.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

bravo USA Army Band. a very nice tribute

That tribute by the US Army Band is amazing, I say as tears run down my face. Don't know if and or when I'm ever going to get over this.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Still sad, I don't need any more ... help with my sadness. I'll listen later...

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    it just depends on whether or not the moderator thinks one artist is more worthy than another?
    That's what I was thinking and it makes sense - Neil's passing is major news as Rush was a major concern. The others in the OT section... not so much. I don't think anyone else is put out by it.

A famous person, who has been in the spotlight for 40 years dies. Its a bit different from someone who was not super well known (not a household name in say, musical circles) passing away. Neils death was also news because it was such a shock (I'm still not over it) If ever there was "music news" Neils Passing was it. I cant comment on many of the RIP's here because I was not very familiar with many of the individuals. I hope that is not being insensitive, it is not intended to be so, Just not every musician is somebodies hero...

A famous person, who has been in the spotlight for 40 years dies. Its a bit different from someone who was not super well known (not a household name in say, musical circles) passing away. Neils death was also news because it was such a shock (I'm still not over it) If ever there was "music news" Neils Passing was it. I cant comment on many of the RIP's here because I was not very familiar with many of the individuals. I hope that is not being insensitive, it is not intended to be so, Just not every musician is somebodies hero...
    There's an underlying narrative that you may not be aware of...A desire to see primarily Jazz related musicians viewed as Prog-Rockers and given the same amount of attention on this site. Giving them what could be perceived as secondary status in RIP threads undercuts that goal, and is viewed as a setback to the agenda.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    There's an underlying narrative that you may not be aware of...A desire to see primarily Jazz related musicians viewed as Prog-Rockers and given the same amount of attention on this site. Giving them what could be perceived as secondary status in RIP threads undercuts that goal, and is viewed as a setback to the agenda.
    Needed to be said.

It's just a shame that so many threads on here are taken over to become a battle ground for some selfish purpose or another.
    Many days I open my first thread, get to the inevitable, predictable point of devolution and close the window without going anywhere else.

Today became an all-Rush day in the car while I was running errands. The second or third song that came up on shuffle was The Spirit of Radio, so I decided to just shuffle all the Rush I had on the USB stick for the rest of the trip. It's good to know all of the noises they made together will always be...out there.

That's a good idea. Maybe I should go on a Rush binge until I am no longer sad about it all. it seems it might be good to review what they have collectively left behind.

That's a good idea. Maybe I should go on a Rush binge until I am no longer sad about it all. it seems it might be good to review what they have collectively left behind.
    This hasn't worked for me, but maybe it will for you.

It has been six weeks since his passing and I am still listening to Rush daily. I am still in shock that he is gone. I had to remind myself last night while listening to the song A Farewell to Kings, that Alex and Geddy are actually still with us. I think mostly because Neil's passing marked the end of Rush. It's almost as if they all died at once.

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

I played "Closer to the Heart" last night at an open mic, and had probably 5 people come up to me after and say that they too, have been sad since Neils passing. Lots of quiet Rush fans out there.

Is fanboys worth a watch? - I havent seen it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I may have asked this before, but since were awarded the royal order of Canada...award, don’t they get some kind of special ceremony or something?

I played "Closer to the Heart" last night at an open mic, and had probably 5 people come up to me after and say that they too, have been sad since Neils passing. Lots of quiet Rush fans out there.

Is fanboys worth a watch? - I havent seen it.
    It's a pretty good movie. Its about three friends who make a road trip to Skywalker Ranch for one of the friends who is dying of cancer.

I like it, but it's nothing groundbreaking.

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Lino is playing three Rush tunes on the Waiting Room this morning. You can listen at cfmu.ca
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Is that a "Lino" birthday present? (sorry, I had to ask)

Listening to CMFA this weekend.