Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415

Thread: R.I.P. Neil Peart

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Can anyone here (possibly you, profusion) shed any light on what the creative process in the band was, and more specifically the interaction between composing the music and writing the lyrics ? Did Peart write lyrics to existing sketches of music, and was it the reverse ? Did Lee and Lifeson arrive at rehearsals with fully arranged pieces to which Peart then contributed drum parts, or did he have much more input than that in the structures as well as the arrangements, etc. ?

This would add useful context to the issue of whether Lee and Lifeson could write without him.
    I have a few of their tourbooks from the '80s, which all begin with a several-page essay (if that's the right word) by Neil about the writing and recording of their most recent album. These give pretty good insight into the band's working process, for example:

https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush...werwindows.php

Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^ Wow that was a great answer (directly from the horses's mouth) to a question that I have truly wondered about for a long time. I have to say - that collaboration/system that those three had worked out was as close to perfection as you will find in pop music imo. Others had this as well, but as a team, man they had it. When I hear Ged sing these lines, it truly feels like it is coming from him, not Neil, and that is a testament to how convincing they are. Also hats off to Geddy and Alex to compose music and melodies that work so well within the framework of the lyrical intent. Even a tune like "Red Sector A" - the music contained therein is so well-suited to those words, and you can find dozens of examples...."Xanadu", "Subdivisions", "Jacob's Ladder", etc etc....there really isn't anything you would want to change within the lyric/music combination. It's almost if one single person did it all - because it comes across so powerful and convincing.
    It is amazing how many great songs they composed around pre-existing lyrics and how seemless it all sounds. They are three very intelligent and creative people.

It seems logical that the words would come first. The music merely provides a vehicle to communicate them. I would imagine it would be less effective the other way around with the words being more of an exercise to fill holes created by the music.

I have a similar approach to my graphic design. It took me a long time to concede that words come first. Luckily, I also write.
    Orange is the new stupid.

Thanks Olias, that Power Windows summary was an entertaining read. King Lerxst Day, why aren't we celebrating that?! Now I'm in the mood to spin this album...
    "Moustache stays right where it's at" - Clutch

"And next Christmas I'd like a train set, a mountain bike, a sailboat, new Telemark skis, a rocket ship, a ferrari GTO, a chemistry set, eternal life..." - Neil Peart
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

I enjoyed the Power Windows link as well. I love that album!
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

I, like many others, have been listening to a lot of Rush since Neal's passing. I guess one thing I've noticed is the unusually tight lock between the bass and the drums. I wonder how they went about it. Did Neal play to Geddy's parts or was it the other way around? That Geddy answer to Petrucci's collaboration question was really insightful. Interesting that the words were the foundations for the songs and not the other way around.

"Beyond the Lighted Stage" is now available for streaming on Netflix
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Here's a pdf interview with Neil talking about his cycling, and what type bike he owns, etc.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I, like many others, have been listening to a lot of Rush since Neal's passing. I guess one thing I've noticed is the unusually tight lock between the bass and the drums. I wonder how they went about it. Did Neal play to Geddy's parts or was it the other way around? That Geddy answer to Petrucci's collaboration question was really insightful. Interesting that the words were the foundations for the songs and not the other way around.
    Everything I've read says that Geddy and Alex would do a rough mix with a drum machine (also programmed by Alex). Neil would then learn the song, give his input on arrangement and add his drums.
    Chad

Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Interesting that the words were the foundations for the songs and not the other way around.
    I thought Geddy said on Rockline that he and Alex would jam and then Neil would come in with lyrics. Then again, Neil said that Geddy and Alex surprised him with what they did with "Earthshine."

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Everything I've read says that Geddy and Alex would do a rough mix with a drum machine (also programmed by Alex). Neil would then learn the song, give his input on arrangement and add his drums.
    I remember Neil relating the writing of "Subdivisions" from the Signals tour program. After doing the above, it needed a little something extra, and IIRC they cooked up the bridge. They pulled up to Neil's driveway, where he was washing one of his cars, with the tape in the boombox. They played it; he grinned and it was ready for the pro treatment in the studio.

Asked a Doc friend... Doane Perry's comments are right on, Little or no pain for the most part. Headaches, Fatigue, yes.
    I got nothin'

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/PapaYode...=page_internal

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Asked a Doc friend... Doane Perry's comments are right on, Little or no pain for the most part. Headaches, Fatigue, yes.
    Not in the final weeks, though.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Not in the final weeks, though.
    I have no idea if it was days or weeks. I am still deeply saddened by it all. Much more than a fan really ought to feel. The list of my Musical heroes who have left us, is scaring me just a bit. No one is filling Neil's shoes. Ever.
    I got nothin'

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/PapaYode...=page_internal

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    No one is filling Neil's shoes. Ever.
    There are a whole slew of very talented drummers who are very much still with with us, including Simon Phillips, Terry Bozzio, Gavin Harrison, Marco Minnemann, etc. Hell, Clive Bunker is still whacking the skins. Every time I saw a jazz combo at Yoshi's in Oakland I was constantly astounded at the talent behind the kit. You can despair if you want, but life's too short IMO.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.