Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Neil Peart

Very bad news. I was lucky to have seen Rush twice. RIP sir.

Rest in Peace, another wonderful talent gone.

This news has hit me like when Chris Squire and Ronnie James Dio passed. Very sad, and shocked.

A really awful start to the year. Sad to see he'd been suffering with this for so long.

I'm glad that he got to see Rush gain a much greater respect in this century.

RIP.

Just shocked, RIP Neal.
    Tu veux un camembert?

R.I.P. Neil! =( My drummer hero for the last 45 years! Yes explains the retirement! I still cherish his typed "A condensed Rush Primer" I got from Anthem.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Not really a Rush fan - but PHOO!, the man could play. A rare combination of complex orchestrated percussion, compositionally integrated into their songs as an equal third of the music, and pure rock power. He seemed to be a decent, genuine human being, too. What a shame.

Saw Rush on the Moving Pictures tour, next on the Signals tour and kind of lost touch. So very thankful I got to see R40 with my daughter in 2015. Absolutely amazing drummer. Thanks for all the words and music RIP.

Tears are not enough. I've been a fan of Rush, like many of you, since day one. Someone mentioned class and brotherhood...that's the stone cold truth. So sorry to hear of Neil's passing. What's weird, is that I've had the urge to listen to them for the last several days. (more so than usual) Another legend, gone too soon. RIP.
    "And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the penis of an alien?"

Chris, David and now this, Horrible. On my way to see Simon Phillips tonight. Really depressing. Brain cancer is supposed to be really rare. Now more and more all the time (not that Chris or David had this) But Glioblastoma is supposed to be rare. Hmm, seems not so much anymore.

Heard there is a great concert going on tonight in the Xanadu Theater:

Neil Peart on Drums
    Chris Squire on Bass
    Jimi Hendrix on Guitar
    Jon Lord on Keyboards

That's a whole part of my youth going away there.

I cut his lawn twice as a student job (he was away on tour)

RIP
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Crushed...

"...how I wish that I could live it all again..."

R.I.P. Professor...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

This news makes me feel so damned old. I'm "only" 50 but I keep watching my heroes go each and every year. This hurts a lot. Hurts like Bowie, Dio and Jon Lord among others. Makes me wished I cherished my younger years more than I did. RIP Neil. You touched so many lives with your musicianship and your lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkolyn View Post

Neil Peart on Drums
    Chris Squire on Bass
    Jimi Hendrix on Guitar
    Jon Lord on Keyboards
    yes ... plus Dio vocal or Bowie vocal/rhythm guitar maybe?
    Last edited by TCC; 01-10-2020 at 08:15 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Shocked.

Stunned.

Incredibly saddened.

<group hug>
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

^This decade has really been rough- all of the above plus Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker, Keith Emerson etc.

“THIS IS THE BAD PLACE” Eleanor Shellstrop.

Favorite drum fill of all time - Tom Sawyer, second fill after the guitar solo. Xanadu is one of my top 10 favorite prog songs of all-time and Neil the Number 1 Drummer.

I was wondering why Afterimage, and other Rush songs were playing today on livexlive progrock station, and then a CNN News notification popped ip on my screen. Would have preferred a typical “what has Trump done this time.” Update.

Sometime in the mid 80's (I was about 12 or 13) I went over to my sister's boyfriend's house (who is now my brother-in-law for over 25 years) and he let me borrow Moving Pictures on vinyl. I came home, dubbed a copy on audio cassette, went out onto my driveway, and played that damn tape dozens and dozens of times on my boombox while I playing hacky sack. I couldn't get over how good the musicianship was, but especially the toms on the drums - how there were so many pitches on those amazing fills. I can honestly say that Moving Pictures was the album that started my love affair with progressive music and Rush has had an immense influence on how I viewed music. They opened the door more so than anybody else at the time, until I came across FZ in college in 1990. I hope his happy years were immense (I would like to think he had many great and amazing memories aside from the tragedies, especially when he was out riding his BMW bike) and my condolences to his families and fans. RIP Professor Peart.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Banned
    More than an incredibly talented percussionist, an exemplary lyricist and intellect. So sad. My sympathy to all those close. RIP.
    Last edited by Firth; 01-10-2020 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by refugee View Post
    Awful, awful news.

My first ever concert was Rush at Newcastle City Hall 11th June 1977.

RIP Neil
    Mine, too, November of '77.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkolyn View Post

Neil Peart on Drums
    Chris Squire on Bass
    Jimi Hendrix on Guitar
    Jon Lord on Keyboards
    John Lennon on vocal.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Sometime in the mid 80's (I was about 12 or 13) I went over to my sister's boyfriend's house (who is now my brother-in-law for over 25 years) and he let me borrow Moving Pictures on vinyl. I came home, dubbed a copy on audio cassette, went out onto my driveway, and played that damn tape dozens and dozens of times on my boombox while I playing hacky sack. I couldn't get over how good the musicianship was, but especially the toms on the drums - how there were so many pitches on those amazing fills. I can honestly say that Moving Pictures was the album that started my love affair with progressive music and Rush has had an immense influence on how I viewed music. They opened the door more so than anybody else at the time, until I came across FZ in college in 1990. I hope his happy years were immense (I would like to think he had many great and amazing memories aside from the tragedies, especially when he was out riding his BMW bike) and my condolences to his families and fans. RIP Professor Peart.
    I found RUSH in an unusual way. My cousins were huge KISS fans and saw them open for KISS and told me about how good they were. I wasn’t a kiss fan at all but when I heard them play RUSH I was an instant fan and stayed a fan from that time on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't count the number of miles I drove, ran, walked or biked with Neil setting the pace and pushing forward. His lyrics often hit a nerve that, at times, reduced me to tears or lifted me from a deep funk. A debt I could never repay. I certainly got more out of his music than I'd paid for. I will miss him dearly.

Fuck. Just fuck. One of the very few people who could communicate with my teenage soul when there was no one around.

Plus ça change plus c'est la même chose.

Rush began for me in 1984 with "Distant Early Warning" on MTV and my brother listening to 2112 and Moving Pictures constantly. Every new album was something to look forward to.

I'd hoped Mr. Peart could have had a nice long Bruford-esque retirement and I'm sorry it didn't end up happening for him. RIP to him and condolences to his family.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)