Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Frank Zappa: Which 5 albums to get first?

I am now a lot further in my Zappa exploration. I now own 15 Zappa rekkids.

Just listened to Jazz from Hell for the first time. The music itself is pretty interesting but it sounds like....shit!
    I do not realy fancy electronics but this sounds like 'cheap electronics'. I am pretty allergic to cheap electronics. I heared versions of G-spot Tornado on youtube that are spectacular (like this one)! Here it just sounds like a waste of good music.

What do others make of this one?

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post

Just listened to Jazz from Hell for the first time. The music itself is pretty interesting but it sounds like....shit!
    I've never been a fan of Jazz from Hell because I don't like the use of sounds Zappa chose, with the exception of Night School. G-Spot Tornado is a brilliant piece of music but I find this version unlistenable. I much prefer the Yellow Shark version. I think Zappa's selection of sounds goes back to his interest in sound effects that he probably got from Varese when he was young.

Dude! Fifteen Zappa albums already? That's impressive.

Which ones are you liking most? Any favorites yet?

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    I've never been a fan of Jazz from Hell because I don't like the use of sounds Zappa chose, with the exception of Night School. G-Spot Tornado is a brilliant piece of music but I find this version unlistenable. I much prefer the Yellow Shark version. I think Zappa's selection of sounds goes back to his interest in sound effects that he probably got from Varese when he was young.
    Yeah, I do like "Night School", but the other songs use sounds that I just don't really enjoy. I'm with ya.

Still an impressive piece of composition and work. He was pretty amazing with the Synclavier.

Jazz From Hell was the first and last Synclavier album I heard. Hated the sound of the damned thing. There was a nice guitar instrumental on there, 'St Etienne'.

Must admit I wouldn't have recommended that for a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Dude! Fifteen Zappa albums already? That's impressive.

Which ones are you liking most? Any favorites yet?
    Hots rats, Grand Wazoo and One size fits all are my favs. I also like Uncle meat, We are only in it for the money, Waka Jawaka and Sheik Yerbouti quite a bit.

Others are a bit more hit and miss but the hits make all of them worthwhile.

Oh, I just got Roxy & Elsewhere. Just heared it once but this might become a favorite.

Hots rats, Grand Wazoo and One size fits all are my favs. I also like Uncle meat, We are only in it for the money, Waka Jawaka and Sheik Yerbouti quite a bit.

Oh, I just got Roxy & Elsewhere. Just heared it once but this might become a favorite.
    Nice! I don't have We're Only In It For the Money or Shiek Yerbouti, but I've got those others and I like them too. Good choices, IMO.

Hot Rats, Grand Wazoo, and One Size Fits All are definitely among my fave Zappa records. There's some fantastic music on those.

If you really like Roxy you should proceed immediately to getting You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Volume 2 - The Helsinki Concert
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    If you really like Roxy you should proceed immediately to getting You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Volume 2 - The Helsinki Concert
    Agreed. There's some great stuff on there!

Yeah, I do like "Night School", but the other songs use sounds that I just don't really enjoy. I'm with ya.

Still an impressive piece of composition and work. He was pretty amazing with the Synclavier.
    I often wonder what we might have got if Frank had lived and had access to the kind of electronics and software that exist today. I'm sure he would have explored them to the full and the results would...not have been boring.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I often wonder what we might have got if Frank had lived and had access to the kind of electronics and software that exist today. I'm sure he would have explored them to the full and the results would...not have been boring.
    I feel the same way. He still had lots to offer I think, and with how he utilized music and recording technology, like you said it would not have been boring. Such a shame to have lost him so soon.

Roxy BLEW my mind when I first heard it in college. Now there is the DVD/BluRay and the other sets galore of that band, so a ton of stuff to cherish that era. We are so fortunate that FZ was able to record that band with such outstanding sonics to boot. One of the most amazing eras of FZ and 70's prog/music in general. That band had the chops of Juilliard-level musicians and the absolute absurdness of Monty Python rolled into one.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Nice! I don't have We're Only In It For the Money...
    If by "don't have" you also mean "don't know", you have to rectify this. Seriously, one of those 20 records I would grab to save first in case of a fire in the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    If by "don't have" you also mean "don't know", you have to rectify this. Seriously, one of those 20 records I would grab to save first in case of a fire in the building.
    Indeed, I've not heard this one yet. Guess I need to fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Its for me the Zappa album (of the ones I have heared) where the humour and music works best together. A brilliant take on the hippy scene.

What is the ugliest part of your body?.......

Freak Out started my Zappa journey when I was 9, but We’re Only In It For The Money sealed the deal for me the following year. Still my favorite FZ recording.

My answer to the title question:

We’re Only In It For The Money
    The Roxy Performances
    Meat Light
    Läther
    Just Another Band From LA

BONUS 10
    Civilization Phaze III
    Lumpy Gravy
    Make A Jazz Noise Here
    The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life
    You Are What You Is
    Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch
    The Yellow Shark
    200 Motels - The Suites
    One Size Fits All
    Waka/Jawaka

That’s how I feel TODAY, anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    Freak Out started my Zappa journey when I was 9, but We’re Only In It For The Money sealed the deal for me the following year. Still my favorite FZ recording.

The Roxy Performances
    Meat Light
    Läther

BONUS 10
    Civilization Phaze III
    Lumpy Gravy
    Make A Jazz Noise Here
    You Are What You Is
    The Yellow Shark
    200 Motels - The Suites
    One Size Fits All
    Waka/Jawaka

Love your bonus 10. Reminded me to also recommend all those live albums from the '88 tour (Best Band, Jazz Noise, Broadway The Hard Way). To my mind they'd fit in well with the other albums thedunno seems to enjoy so far.
    <sig out of order>

I only have about a dozen, but for a beginner, I'd go with these:

We're Only In It For The Money
    Overnite Sensation
    Apostrophe
    Lather
    Strictly Commercial/Best Of

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post

The Roxy Performances
    Meat Light
    Läther

BONUS 10
    Civilization Phaze III
    Lumpy Gravy
    Make A Jazz Noise Here
    You Are What You Is
    The Yellow Shark
    200 Motels - The Suites
    One Size Fits All
    Waka/Jawaka

Man, most of these are favs of mine too - almost scary - but I would add Joe's Garage and Shut up/Guitar as essentials
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Definitely get it, but I’d rather have the complete Roxy or Halloween 73 first (if we’re just talking about the Duke/Brock band recordings). I likely just made some enemies.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Its for me the Zappa album (of the ones I have heared) where the humour and music works best together. A brilliant take on the hippy scene.

What is the ugliest part of your body?.......
    I Totally agree with your remark. But in a sense it also grasped the essence of the United States and the whole modern world like very few works of art have (including books, films etc).

The eons are closing
    Love to ser MKs love for JABfLA.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    What really surprised me today, though, was how well I enjoyed Bongo. While it's certainly an overall uneven affair and not really emphasizing the Captain'ian input, the good stuff on there is probably some of my fave things ever by both of them. Hell, I can even detect the overt emotionalism in those repetitive "Muffin Man" harmonics now - that really was a perfect closing tune if there ever was one.
    Yes, well put. It still feels like a missed opportunity though, like Captain guesting in a Zappa album, instead of a join of forces in the true sense of the word.

I need to give it more listens though. There are people whose opinion I value and think this is a masterpiece.