Thread: The Bad Plus

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar

The Bad Plus

Any fans of this Mnpls jazz band with an eclectic repertoire?

https://thebadplus.bandcamp.com/

Last edited by rcarlberg; 1 Week Ago at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Any fans of this Mnpls jazz band with an eclectic repertoire?
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=U66ZBGaG...;start_radio=1
    Yes!

I have enjoyed them for many years. Their debut (The Bad Plus) is still my overall favorite studio album of theirs, however These are the Vistas (2003), the album with Joshua Redman (The Bad Plus Joshua Redman) and the latest (Never Stop II)- with new pianist Orrin Evans- are also very good.

They are a lot of fun live, too. Seen them multiple times in Philly and NYC. Lots of gonzo covers.
    Last edited by SunshipVoyager1976; 1 Week Ago at 08:13 PM.

Me too, good call!.

More:
    https://www.thebadplus.com/
    Last edited by TCC; 1 Week Ago at 08:55 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    Yes!

I have enjoyed them for many years. Their debut (The Bad Plus) is still my overall favorite studio album of theirs, however These are the Vistas (2003), the album with Joshua Redman (The Bad Plus Joshua Redman) and the latest (Never Stop II)- with new pianist Orrin Evans- are also very good.
    Didn't know about it, thanks SunShip.!
    Last edited by TCC; 1 Week Ago at 08:30 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Nice!:

"After 17 years with pianist Ethan Iverson, Orrin Evans made his Seattle debut with The Bad Plus to sold-out shows. Stopping by for a live session at the KNKX studios, it was clear that the moods of bassist Reid Anderson and drummer Dave King had improved for the better, and their playing showed it."
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Evans is a monster.

Last edited by rcarlberg; 1 Week Ago at 09:00 PM.

Here's one to keep the Yesfanatics happy.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Evans is a monster.

Yes, agree 110%!!
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Oh yeah, Orrin is a beast on the ivories for sure. He was with Charles Mingus Dynasty for a while and tore those old Mingus charts up.

Top shelf players.Saw them a couple of times in NYC; always a pleasure.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Old man of prog
    The last 2 albums with Orrin are fantastic. To me it's like having a Jazz piano trio with a Rock rhythm section

A lot of cover songs in their earlier albums and, while performed well, didn't click with me in all cases. Covering Blondie, Nirvana, Abba, Black Sabbath and more was adventurous indeed, but I preferred their originals and also those cuts that didn't go off the deep end with piano bashing. It sounds as if they calmed things down with the Redman collaboration, so I may need to pursue the later stuff. However, the subsequent release , "It's Hard", is all cover tunes. I'll explore cautiously.

I heard about TBP and EST as interesting modern piano trios around the same time, and while I ended up getting everything EST ever put out, what I heard from TBP didn't grab me enough to make any purchases. Maybe I should give them another chance. Not to threadjack or anything, but what I did find out about recently is Rymden, though Santa didn't notice it on my yuletide wish list, so I guess I should stick that on my next Amazon order.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 1 Week Ago at 12:46 PM.

Yes. TBP were here in Iowa City this past summer for our Jazz Festival. Their two shows were packed (~150 each) even though they were one of the few non-free events that weekend. While my mind was still blown by Thumbscrew the night before, TBP were a lot of fun. "Meaty" and "filling" is how I would describe the music and Evans in particular. Very satisfying, not sure why all the imagery of this show for me was food-related but that's the feeling I had. Like eating a big helping of comfort food.

I did not know Evans was the "new guy" BTW. He seemed to blend in flawlessly with the rhythm section as though they had played together for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I heard about TBP and EST as interesting modern piano trios around the same time, and while I ended up getting everything EST ever put out, what I heard from TBP didn't grab me enough to make any purchases. Maybe I should give them another chance. Not to threadjack or anything, but what I did find out about recently is Rymden, though Santa didn't notice it on my yuletide wish list, so I guess I should stick that on my next Amazon order.
    This is pretty much where I got to - I bought almost everything est released, but gave up with TBP after two or three albums, with a strong impression of diminishing returns.

I was hugely disappointed with Rymden - felt lifeless & purposeless to me. I'll go back to it, though, following this mention, to see if I was mistaken in my initial impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    To me it's like having a Jazz piano trio with a Rock rhythm section
    Dave King is some kind of drummer, he's all over his kit, he sounds like he has eight arms, he has so many polyrhythms and subdivisions going on it is dizzying. I can't tell if most of their tunes are in non-4/4 rhythm or if it just sounds that way.

My familiarity with King is from listening to some audience recordings and youtubes I found of some duo shows with David Torn after Torn mentioned them on twitter, facebook or thegearpage. I wish DT would record his live work and make downloads available to buy.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I caught them at the Iron Horse during the last tour before the previous keyboardist departed. I enjoyed them and also dig EST.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    This is pretty much where I got to - I bought almost everything est released, but gave up with TBP after two or three albums, with a strong impression of diminishing returns.

I was hugely disappointed with Rymden - felt lifeless & purposeless to me. I'll go back to it, though, following this mention, to see if I was mistaken in my initial impressions.

Hola Dave, Per Anporth:
    - Rymden (B.Wesseltoft, M.Öström, D.Berglund) - Reflections & Odysseys came early last year: it was released on February 8, 2019.
    ("supergroup?")

I made an instantly click with the music and it became a favorite here; now that I was making my top of favorites for 2019, I gave it some more fresh spins and yes, you're right Per Anporth with your comment about that it "felt lifeless & purposeless" specially with the song "Pitter Patter" IMO but, I still think that the trio presented here well-crafted songs as "Rak" for example (love it BTW!) and also, that their music is a little bit more rock oriented than jazz sometimes but always retaining the jazz sensibility ... "Bergen" is a good example.

Of course, e.s.t. is a favorite here too!.

Finally, I feel that with the inclusion of Orrin Evans a new door has been opened for TBP without minimizing its previous proposal/music.

Good call as I wrote before!!.

Best.
    Last edited by TCC; 1 Week Ago at 11:52 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

I just picked up this disc from 2014. I dunno, I guess I thought it might be "western music" or something, but of course it's not. So far, on a first run through, it's not my favorite TBP but it has many intriguing songs -- like the one above. The through-line on this, the way the melody kind of lurches to a conclusion, is very endearing.

Last edited by rcarlberg; 4 Days Ago at 11:21 PM.

I saw a show posted on either Dime or Traders Den that came off a FM radio broadcast: The Bad Plus-2019-10-25-Scullers Boston. I'll have to give them another shot.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart