Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jethro Tull live shows - what's missing?

Jethro Tull live shows - what's missing?

With the recent box sets, we've been getting some great live shows (Minstrel, Songs, Stormwatch) and Heavy Horses box had a reconfigured Bursting Out. But it occurs to me that there's a gap between the Carnegie Hall show/Isle of Wight and the Minstrel Box. Nothing for the Passion Play tour, nothing for Thick as a Brick. So what exactly are we missing and were these tours even recorded?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

From what I've read when the subject has come up in various forums, Tull apparently didn't do any pro live recordings betwen Carnegie Hall 1970 and Paris 1975.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    With the recent box sets, we've been getting some great live shows (Minstrel, Songs, Stormwatch) and Heavy Horses box had a reconfigured Bursting Out. But it occurs to me that there's a gap between the Carnegie Hall show/Isle of Wight and the Minstrel Box. Nothing for the Passion Play tour, nothing for Thick as a Brick. So what exactly are we missing and were these tours even recorded?
    There's pretty much nothing official from 1971-74. No TV, no radio broadcasts or KBFH, and the band themselves apparently didn't record those tours. A great shame, because the TaaB and APP tours were among the best concerts I've ever seen by anybody. At least we've got the "Hare" film.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Yes I don't think there's anything from this whole period; their commercial peak, probably. The lack of recordings from the Aqualung/Thick As A Brick tours is especially galling.

I did hear a reasonably good audience recording of Thick As A Brick, I think from Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    There's pretty much nothing official from 1971-74. No TV, no radio broadcasts or KBFH, and the band themselves apparently didn't record those tours. A great shame, because the TaaB and APP tours were among the best concerts I've ever seen by anybody. At least we've got the "Hare" film.
    Do we know why Ian didn't do it? Budget perhaps? What a shame.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    'Tis a bloody shame! I've been watching what I can find on YouTube. Tampa '76 is a favorite. Too bad the film ends in the middle of their Beethoven workout.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    It's not so unusual, sadly. For instance, do you know how many multi-track recordings there are of Pink Floyd on their 1973-7 tours (again, maybe their commercial peak)? Essentially, just one...Wembley 1974. And there's not a single frame of professionally-shot footage.

Tull did do a live TV performance for the BBC later in 1977- has this been released yet? I don't have any of those Wilson sets and they don't stay in print for long.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I did hear a reasonably good audience recording of Thick As A Brick, I think from Japan.
    I have that. Not bad at all, if you can handle an audience recording (some can't). TaaB is about 72 minutes long.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

We got spoiled by FZ right? He recorded it all (or close).

It's not so unusual, sadly. For instance, do you know how many multi-track recordings there are of Pink Floyd on their 1973-7 tours (again, maybe their commercial peak)? Essentially, just one...Wembley 1974. And there's not a single frame of professionally-shot footage.

Tull did do a live TV performance for the BBC later in 1977- has this been released yet? I don't have any of those Wilson sets and they don't stay in print for long.
    Too Old set? Yes it was released.

^I think it was the Songs From The Wood tour. For the show Sight And Sound In Concert. (A few other prog acts were on that- Camel, Gentle Giant etc.)

^I think it was the Songs From The Wood tour. For the show Sight And Sound In Concert. (A few other prog acts were on that- Camel, Gentle Giant etc.)
    Actually there are two sets released from that tour Landover Capital Center (Maryland USA)
    (this one is on the Songs From The Wood boxset)

There is also a shorter but very similar looking concert "Live at the London Hippodrome"
    (very dubious DVD with Asian undertitels, most likely a boot)
    (this one is the Sight and Sound concert)
    Last edited by TheH; 01-09-2020 at 11:00 AM.

Unfortunately, as mentioned, this was not rare back in the day. Some bands only bothered to record shows/tours if they knew they were making a live album. The idea that four decades later, people would be clamoring to part with their dollars to hear way more of this stuff was probably unthinkable, especially considering the criticisms at the time. Hence, no professional/official live recordings of tours like A Passion Play, Topographic Oceans, The Lamb, Caress Of Steel, etc. etc.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The fact that no live concerts were included in the TAAB or the APP Box sets, solidifies the theory that there are no live concerts from that era or worth releasing.

It really is a painful shame because I saw the APP tour in 1973 and was one the best concerts of my life. And I have attended at least 900 of them in my lifetime.
    Both visually and musically that show saw Jethro Tull at their creative peak that was never matched again. Aside that the show lasted over 3 hours with no intermission!
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

There could still be quality recordings of shows out there. They might have been recorded by the venue, or someone could have tapped into the soundboard. There are also FM recordings out there that have had very little exposure, especially in Europe.

For example, a Rush recording from '74 at the Roxy Theater in Northampton, PA recently surfaced. It's a great soundboard recording and who know what else is out there. A lot of great bands played at The Roxy. Somewhere along the line, the venue operators made recordings. There are also many unbelievable audience recordings that are release-worthy. I, for one, am not giving up hope. Until then, I am satisfied with what's available.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Before starting this thread, I took a dive into my biggest external hard drive for Tull dates and found hardly anything for the early years. Quick searches on Dime and TradersDen weren't much better. I saw a show from Berlin in 1972 and one from Copenhagen in 1974 that might be OK, but no full performances of TaaB or PP. Apparently they never played the Forum in those seminal years because then we'd at least have a Mike Millard show.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Boy, I am pretty sure I have Berlin 72 on vinyl.

This is the Tokyo show I have. It's not a great recording.

(Sinjuku) Tokyo, Japan
    1972-07-19

"Complete Performance 1972"
    Heart Breakers Records
    HB-921-1/2/3

Disc 1

1. Only Solitaire Intro > Thick As A Brick (incl. Bourée)

Disc 2

1. Thick As A Brick II
    2. Cross Eyed Mary > A New Day Yesterday
    3. Aqualung

Disc 3

1. Wind-Up
    2. Locomotive Breath > Hard-Headed English General
    3. Wind Up (Reprise)

Note: Disc 1 is a single track (48:53)

The 1972 tour supporting the 'Thick as a Brick' album showcased the entire album in its entirety.

I have a decent unofficial CD from Hannover, Jan. '72 that has a great early performance of Thick As A Brick as well as Tomorrow Was Today, a track that they didn't record until War Child, although it still wasn't released for forty years!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

The 1972 tour supporting the 'Thick as a Brick' album showcased the entire album in its entirety.
    Of course it really didn't, even though the solos etc made the live version longer than the studio.

Does anyone know when the "Chateau d'Isaster" pieces started showing up in the live set?

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Does anyone know when the "Chateau d'Isaster" pieces started showing up in the live set?
    October '72 on the U.S. tour with Gentle Giant, continuing all the way to the end of the 1973 shows the following September (yes, even after A Passion Play had been released and was being performed).

Apparently they never played the Forum in those seminal years because then we'd at least have a Mike Millard show.
    Tull never played the Forum??? It was their home from home when they were in southern California; they played the Forum on the 1970, '71, '72, '73, and '75 tours.

On the second leg of the '72 US tour, starting in October, unless you count an instrumental "Only Solitaire" that was apparently used as an intro for the Japanese shows in July.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Of course it really didn't, even though the solos etc made the live version longer than the studio.
    It was just from a copy and paste from a site that had the set list.

Apparently they never played the Forum in those seminal years because then we'd at least have a Mike Millard show.
    I have a boot of APP show from the Forum called Supercharged. It an audience recording. It has all of APP minus The Hare.

Jethro Tull plays what Ian Anderson wants to play.
    i think it was Bursting Out live we hear some guy screams 'play something we know'
    Tull was notorious for playing obscure songs.
    unlike most bands, 50% of their show will be non radio friendly songs.