Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yes - Glasgow 1977

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    That Sugarmegs site looks like it was last updated in 1999!
    Perhaps, but there's more than 111,000 shows to stream.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I've owned a DVD bootleg of the Glasgow show for over a decade. I'm really happy it exists. Probably my very favorite Yes-on-video performance beating out Yessongs by a hair and also the great bonus DVD in the Union Live Deluxe package.

Two questions for Yes experts: Glasgow is an odd single-camera shoot on video. Seems too good for an audience recording but certainly not pro-shot, even for TV clips. So, anyone know any story regarding what this filming was intended for?

The other thing: this is the only time I've ever seen / heard the "Rick Wakeman plays Rachmaninoff with his feet" shtick. Was this ever a regular part of the show?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Perhaps, but there's more than 111,000 shows to stream.
    I suppose it's OK if you want to hear these shows once uncritically, but the sound is very bad on that site.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I've owned a DVD bootleg of the Glasgow show for over a decade. I'm really happy it exists. Probably my very favorite Yes-on-video performance beating out Yessongs by a hair and also the great bonus DVD in the Union Live Deluxe package.

Two questions for Yes experts: Glasgow is an odd single-camera shoot on video. Seems too good for an audience recording but certainly not pro-shot, even for TV clips. So, anyone know any story regarding what this filming was intended for?
    Given the Apollo bouncers' rigorous approach to amateur photographers and tapers, the cameraman must have had some sort of official permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    That Sugarmegs site looks like it was last updated in 1999!
    I've seen lots of recent shows posted on there.. someone mentioned the quality of the sound.. to my ears they sound fine..

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I suppose it's OK if you want to hear these shows once uncritically, but the sound is very bad on that site.
    They are low-bit-rate for streaming. But there are thousands of great-sounding recordings that are perfectly fine for streaming.

Plus, it's great to preview recordings before downloading lossless versions.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I've seen lots of recent shows posted on there.. someone mentioned the quality of the sound.. to my ears they sound fine..
    It's the old "bootlegs all sound shitty" mindset. It's sad that people can't listen beyond some shortcomings in fidelity for what can be incredible or historically significant recordings.

Their loss.

FWIW, I have bootlegs that surpass released recordings.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I read somewhere Steve Howe's brother-in-law filmed it. Not sure what for though.

It's the old "bootlegs all sound shitty" mindset. It's sad that people can't listen beyond some shortcomings in fidelity for what can be incredible or historically significant recordings.

Their loss.
    Actually no it isn't. My problem with the site is only down to the low bitrate you already identified. That horrible 'splashy' cymbal sound is completely unlistenable for me personally. Nothing to do with the original recordings. For instance:

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Agreed. The Long Beach 77 CttE is my fave ever.

And for an audience boot, it is stellar!
    I played this one again last year and it's the best of the (handful) of audience shows Ive heard from this tour. A strong all-round performance too. I think this was one of Mike Millard's tapes.

This and the TFTO tour, audience recordings are the only game in town.

Quote Originally Posted by elliottnow View Post
    I read somewhere Steve Howe's brother-in-law filmed it. Not sure what for though.
    That's what I heard. It must have been allowed, as the camera is very obviously on a proper stand as it moves left to right. Would not have been a surreptitious filming!

Seems a plausible theory. I think 'from the crowd' video tapes of shows were very rare then...I've never seen many. There were of course Super8 film recordings, but those were limited in length and silent.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    That's what I heard. It must have been allowed, as the camera is very obviously on a proper stand as it moves left to right. Would not have been a surreptitious filming!
    Are we sure we're not confusing this with Yessongs, which Steve's brother-in-law (or something to that effect) was involved with?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Yay! I was at this show at the Glasgow Apollo...well it might not have been this exact one. They played three nights (I think) and I can't remember which night I was there...I'll have the ticket at home somewhere! It was one of my first concerts and needless to say it blew my tiny mind.

I too remember hearing or reading that it was Steve Howe's brother-in-law who filmed the show, but I don't remember where I read it or heard it. You definitely wouldn't have got away with plonking a big bulky camera on the balcony rail and filming an entire show at the Apollo back in the day unless you had permission!

This and the TFTO tour, audience recordings are the only game in town.
    And this is why the botched QPR release remains such an unfortunate turn of events. As one of those who really can't stand most audience boots, I'll just have to continue going back to the studio recordings (and the few official live releases). I feel fortunate to have seen them on the 'Ten True Summers' tour, however, when to my ears anyway, they were still killing it, even if the set list was inferior.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Actually no it isn't. My problem with the site is only down to the low bitrate you already identified. That horrible 'splashy' cymbal sound is completely unlistenable for me personally. Nothing to do with the original recordings.
    Well, it's for streaming. If you find lossless streaming, please share it.

Too bad you can't set it aside and focus on the performance. I've been collecting boots for 40 years and my favorite recordings are pretty rough-sounding. But, they are the only ones available. Until something better comes along, it suits me perfectly well, personally.

Different strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    And this is why the botched QPR release remains such an unfortunate turn of events. As one of those who really can't stand most audience boots, I'll just have to continue going back to the studio recordings (and the few official live releases). I feel fortunate to have seen them on the 'Ten True Summers' tour, however, when to my ears anyway, they were still killing it, even if the set list was inferior.
    Well, there are a fair few professional recordings of Yes in the 70s. Some were broadcast on the radio- Boston 1974, Roosevelt Stadium 1976 and Wembley 1978. Boston is particularly great because it has Relayer in full.

In terms of multi-tracks, from the Moraz era they have Detroit 1976. Tracks from this were used on Yesshows and The Word Is Live.

In spite of its sonic flaws, I am very glad QPR exists. It's the only professionally shot footage of a complete Yes concert from the entire decade.

OK, I found the Long Beach show and I'll download it.

I used to be pickier about recording quality but I've grown to accept audience recordings in the cases where it's the best I can do (like Floyd's Animals tour).

Given the success of the Progeny releases, I would think Yes would explore releasing more 70s material. But I suppose the usual Yes dysfunction is to blame.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I think the single most important Yes audience recording for me is that MSG 1974 performance of Tales (18th February, I think?). It's not Mike Millard level- based on other recordings, MSG does seem to have been quite a cavernous venue for sound- but it's pretty good.

However, unlike- say- Floyd/Zeppelin, I haven't bothered listening to many audience recordings by Yes, because there's not that much point IMHO. They have their fair share of professionally recorded stuff out there, the set-lists were fairly rigid and the improvisation is minimal.
    Last edited by JJ88; 01-08-2020 at 12:02 PM.

They are low-bit-rate for streaming. But there are thousands of great-sounding recordings that are perfectly fine for streaming.

Plus, it's great to preview recordings before downloading lossless versions.
    Sugarmegs is a great site - I've found some real treasures on there - things that I haven't heard anywhere else.

Do you know if there's a place to download the lossless versions of the shows on Sugarmegs?

Quote Originally Posted by thos View Post
    Sugarmegs is a great site - I've found some real treasures on there - things that I haven't heard anywhere else.

Do you know if there's a place to download the lossless versions of the shows on Sugarmegs?
    You have to do web searches for specific shows. Sometimes you need to get creative with your searches, too.

Yessongs.nl is a treasure trove of flac live Yes recordings.

You have to do web searches for specific shows. Sometimes you need to get creative with your searches, too.
    Thanks - I thought there was maybe a way to get the shows in download form in better (lossless) quality, from Sugarmegs directly (or some kind of reference to find them). But it doesn't look like that's the case. In some (non Yes) cases, I haven't been able to find any other version of a show online (or anywhere).

Back to the topic at hand - my first Yes show was Sept 23 1977 at the LA Forum at the age of 12. I remember it as being really great, very high energy. The performance of Close to the Edge really rocked. Listening to the show and other from the tour bears it out that they were at a high point musically during this time, definitely rocking but still totally uncompromised Yes music.

The Long Beach show (a couple days after the one I saw) in particular is great, with a lot of atmosphere and great playing.

The "tour song" was a simple improvised thing that Jon made up each night having to do with the town they were in. Kind of a way to relax a bit between the heavy numbers and have fun with the audience. During the Glasgow show I believe Jon sings about Scotland playing in the world cup and gets a reaction. Most versions of the "tour song arent much to listen to (IMO) but the Long Beach version is actually quite good. It kinda takes off a bit before segueing into "And You & I". (I didn't remember the version from the show I saw)

Quote Originally Posted by thos View Post
    Thanks - I thought there was maybe a way to get the shows in download form in better (lossless) quality, from Sugarmegs directly (or some kind of reference to find them). But it doesn't look like that's the case. In some (non Yes) cases, I haven't been able to find any other version of a show online (or anywhere).

Back to the topic at hand - my first Yes show was Sept 23 1977 at the LA Forum at the age of 12. I remember it as being really great, very high energy. The performance of Close to the Edge really rocked. Listening to the show and other from the tour bears it out that they were at a high point musically during this time, definitely rocking but still totally uncompromised Yes music.

The Long Beach show (a couple days after the one I saw) in particular is great, with a lot of atmosphere and great playing.

The "tour song" was a simple improvised thing that Jon made up each night having to do with the town they were in. Kind of a way to relax a bit between the heavy numbers and have fun with the audience. During the Glasgow show I believe Jon sings about Scotland playing in the world cup and gets a reaction. Most versions of the "tour song arent much to listen to (IMO) but the Long Beach version is actually quite good. It kinda takes off a bit before segueing into "And You & I". (I didn't remember the version from the show I saw)
    I'm so envious! I was also 12 in 1977 and badly wanted to go to the Yes gig at the LA forum as I grew up in suburban LA. This was the year I discovered Yes thanks to my paper route money and Poo Bah Record Shop in Pasadena. I had the offer of a ride from an older brother of my best friend but my parents wouldn't budge. Twelve was too young they said. Sigh. I remember being so bummed the night of the gig! I have the Mike Millard recorded audience boot of that show now and it was indeed a great gig. Prime Yes. I'm still bummed about missing that gig forty two years later.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Agreed. The Long Beach 77 CttE is my fave ever.

And for an audience boot, it is stellar!
    I would also recommend the Boston show (8-12-77), taped by Dan Lampinski...IMO it is at the same quality level as the Millard tape.

I forgot all about Lampinski - the East Coast Millard!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by brahseph View Post
    I would also recommend the Boston show (8-12-77), taped by Dan Lampinski...IMO it is at the same quality level as the Millard tape.
    I have some Lampinski stuff but not that show.
    Absolutely will check it.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit