Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yes - Glasgow 1977

Yes - Glasgow 1977

It is with great trepidation that I start this thread cuz you know how Yes threads get insane. But I saw this footage from the Going for the One tour. To me, this set list is a gem. I know Yesshows has a few songs from the Rotterdam show on that tour but I'd like to know if there has ever been a release of that full show, or a decent boot recorded off FM radio? The set list is as good as it got in the late 70s and the playing is exemplary.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

No insanity posts from me...just a hearty "thumbs up" about this tour. It was my first Yes show and it was marvelous. The set list WAS great and the performances (at least at the two M.S.G. shows in NYC that I caught) were off-the-charts great!

77 was there sweet spot in many ways (IMO).

The 1977 tour is a strange one because those songs from Yesshows is all that's ever come out. Strange that The Word Is Live had nothing from this tour whatsoever. There's also no FM broadcasts like Boston Gardens 1974, Roosevelt Stadium 1976 or Wembley 1978 that I know of. Sadly.

I haven't watched the full thing but I'd say that Glasgow show has probably the best sound I've heard from this tour. And Glasgow Apollo was a venue that was popular with bands at the time because of the crowd response from the local rock fans. (A few classic live albums were recorded there.)

The 1977 set was better than on the tour which followed, simply because the new album they were touring was also far better. They were still at the top of their game here, riding high with a UK Number 1 album and something they'd never had in the UK before- a hit single!

This is really their late 70s peak. Best Alan ever played CTTE too....

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Is this just before In The Round? Saw the later.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The 1977 tour is a strange one because those songs from Yesshows is all that's ever come out. Strange that The Word Is Live had nothing from this tour whatsoever. There's also no FM broadcasts like Boston Gardens 1974, Roosevelt Stadium 1976 or Wembley 1978 that I know of. Sadly.
    I can only guess that FM radio was starting to shy away from Yes in '77, being lured by all the new groups arriving on the scene. Plus they hadn't produced anything really radio-friendly in years. This lineup was at its peak, but sadly starting their decline at the same time.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    This is really their late 70s peak. Best Alan ever played CTTE too....
    Agreed. The Long Beach 77 CttE is my fave ever.

And for an audience boot, it is stellar!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Is this just before In The Round? Saw the later.
    Indeed. The next tour was the “In The Round” tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I can only guess that FM radio was starting to shy away from Yes in '77, being lured by all the new groups arriving on the scene. Plus they hadn't produced anything really radio-friendly in years. This lineup was at its peak, but sadly starting their decline at the same time.
    Er, Wondrous Stories was a top 10 hit in the UK.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

And "Parallels" and "Going For The One" also got plenty of airplay on FM radio at the time. At least in Cleveland, it did.

what's the title of the song at 50:00?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    How to explain Wembley 1978?

Yes were easily still one of the biggest rock bands in 1977. Of their touring peers in that year, probably only a couple like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin were bigger.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Second concert I ever saw. At 14, I was completely amazed. Can't wait to check this out in its entirety!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by ryder View Post
    what's the title of the song at 50:00?
    That is what is called “Tour Song.” It was played from primarily from 1977-79, and according to Forgotten Yesterdays was played occasionally in 2001-2002. The lyrics would vary.

It can be found on “Word is Live.” There wasn’t a studio version released.
    Last edited by jrw; 01-07-2020 at 09:26 AM.

The eons are closing
    The one from quebec 79 is particularly painful to my ears with Jon speaking bad French
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    The one from quebec 79 is particularly painful to my ears with Jon speaking bad French
    But without making any less sense than usual, so, a win.

Yep, saw this tour. Donovan opened.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    And "Parallels" and "Going For The One" also got plenty of airplay on FM radio at the time. At least in Cleveland, it did.
    This is sort of like "La Villa Strangiato" got plenty of airplay on FM radio at the time. At least in Wisconsin it did."

Say what you want about the tours after '78. If they played like that today, we'd be foaming at the mouths over it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    Yep, saw this tour. Donovan opened.
    And to my mind, did a fine job. I really enjoyed his set.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    It is with great trepidation that I start this thread cuz you know how Yes threads get insane. But I saw this footage from the Going for the One tour. To me, this set list is a gem. I know Yesshows has a few songs from the Rotterdam show on that tour but I'd like to know if there has ever been a release of that full show, or a decent boot recorded off FM radio? The set list is as good as it got in the late 70s and the playing is exemplary.
    Sugarmegs has 11-06-77 and 11-07-77 both shows incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    This is sort of like "La Villa Strangiato" got plenty of airplay on FM radio at the time. At least in Wisconsin it did."
    Merely stating that I can't vouch for everyone's experience, but it was true for mine. We had some of the best FM radio stations in the country. It wouldn't surprise me if that was common, however.

You're too young to have heard anything from GftO in 1977, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    And to my mind, did a fine job. I really enjoyed his set.
    From what I barely remember, I believe you are correct. He got a good response from our crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    From what I barely remember, I believe you are correct. He got a good response from our crowd.
    Donovan was an excellent pairing with Yes. He and Jon Anderson probably see eye to cosmic eye.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

That Sugarmegs site looks like it was last updated in 1999!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart