Thread: RIP Joel Vandroogenbroeck

RIP Joel Vandroogenbroeck

Left this earth the 24th of December 2019. A genius and a visionary. RIP.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

RIP
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Wow, on Christmas eve no less.

He did a lot of stuff, of course - but those first three Brainticket records will stand out. They remain highly listenable and enjoyable, and not merely as tokens to zeitgeist.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Loved the Brainticket LPs, especially "Celestial Ocean."

What a great loss. I was just getting back into Brainticket, too.

The above poster has it right. Celestial Ocean is his masterpiece. And I had forgotten how good Adventure and Voyage are; in many respects they are similar to CO, just minus Carole Muriel and her spacy recitations.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I only know the first 3 Brainticket records. That debut stands out for me, as an iconic psychedelic recording. Rest in peace.

Dang. RIP.

Vandroogenbroeck, AFAIK, was of the WWII-generation and became a professional jazz- and studio-musician already during his late teens, having studied modern classical composition et al. As such he was arguably more akin to a David Vorhaus or Joseph Byrd than a Schulze/Göttsching etc., in that he could read and write music purely from formal theory as well as imagination. I sincerely believe this was one of the reasons why Brainticket's output appeared so eclectic, encompassing electronic and contemporary, pop, psychedelic folk, psychedelia and a kind of twisted jazz-rock. There's basically something for (almost) everyone on those early Brainticket releases.

Bizarre to think how progressive rock musicians are actually terminating from old age now.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Bizarre to think how progressive rock musicians are actually terminating from old age now.
    Fans too

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Yes, he was 81.

Recommended are many albums from his library recordings, such as Biomechanoid, both Meditations, Images Of Flute In Nature, Birth Of Earth etc. Hard enough to find on LP in the pre DisCogs days and hopefully well documented few years before his death on the 18×CD Coloursound Box on Purple Pyramid.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

RIP Joël

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I must admit, the original studio albums don't really do much for me, but the live album Zürich/Lausanne is amazing to my ears.

RIP Joel.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

RIP space traveler

I still have the Original Poster that came in Celestial Ocean...