Thread: Audio Books

Audio Books

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl
    I must admit, I have been hooked by the Audio Book thing. I now listen to stories more than I do music in the car.
    I've tried to get into audio books, but I can't seem to pay attention. When my mom, a voracious reader, lost her vision due to an error by the ophthalmologist she switched over to audio books, and amazed me with her recall. So I know it can be done.

Any recommendations / suggestions / hints / tricks & techniques?

Good topic.

IMHO you have to be a 'captive' audience. I.e. no distractions.

I "read" audio books all the time. Most frequently:
    - When on an airplane (I fly every 2 weeks)
    - When driving to my client's offices (1.5 hours each way, every week that I travel)
    - When working out (on the eliptical machine in the gym for an hour 2 times a week, or when on my cycle trainer in the basement for an hour 3 times a week)
    - When doing yard work
    - Etc.

At those times there are few distractions so I'm able to listen to the book and (like your Mom) I remember details heard in the book just as well as if I'd read them.

I do not subscribe to Amazon's Audible system - I get them for free, from my local library. It takes about 45 seconds to download them onto my phone. The only downside to my library's system is that you cannot renew a loan, as you can with a regular book.
    Regards,

Duncan

Fiction or nonfiction? Read by the author or an actor? Sound effects or just reading? How do you keep track of your place?

I read mostly fiction. I alternate : One modern fiction, and one of either : a classic or a non-fiction about history. Most of the non-fictions are less captivating, of course, and it's harder to keep my attention on them.

I don't believe I've yet heard one read by an author. Some of the actors who specialize in audio books are incredibly good. And - no sound effects. Just reading.

Listening to them on my phone, I don't need to keep track of my place. It automatically picks up 15 seconds back from where I last stopped listening. When I used to listen to audio books on CD in my car, it usually did the same thing - but less reliably.
    Regards,

Duncan

Iíve never even considered audio books. Do they read the entire book or are most of them edited in some way? Seems like an entire book would be a lot of hours of listening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I listen to audio books all the time, mostly music and sports bios, but some fiction.

I think most that are available are unabridged, but some may be denoted as abridged.

I prefer audio books narrated by the author, since he/she knows the inflection he/she wants for a particular passage.

Scott Ian of Anthrax's two books, which he narrates, are excellent listens, as well as Bruce Dickinson's autobiography. For any wrestling fans out there, Chris Jericho's books are great, as long as he's the narrator.

I just ordered/downloaded Elton John's autobiography, narrated by Elton himself. Should be a good listen.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Music bios seem like they should be illustrated with clips of songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Do they read the entire book...
    Yes (almost always)

[QUOTE=Fracktured;948364Seems like an entire book would be a lot of hours of listening.
    [/QUOTE]

Yes.

But when you're driving / flying / working out / gardening / etc., they make the time pass in a flash.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Good topic.

IMHO you have to be a 'captive' audience. I.e. no distractions.

I "read" audio books all the time. Most frequently:
    - When on an airplane (I fly every 2 weeks)
    - When driving to my client's offices (1.5 hours each way, every week that I travel)
    - When working out (on the eliptical machine in the gym for an hour 2 times a week, or when on my cycle trainer in the basement for an hour 3 times a week)
    - When doing yard work
    - Etc.

At those times there are few distractions so I'm able to listen to the book and (like your Mom) I remember details heard in the book just as well as if I'd read them.

I do not subscribe to Amazon's Audible system - I get them for free, from my local library. It takes about 45 seconds to download them onto my phone. The only downside to my library's system is that you cannot renew a loan, as you can with a regular book.
    All great suggestions. I started "reading" audiobooks several years ago when I had a 4 hour daily commute (driving) for work. I could go through 2 regular books a week or an epic book (like a Game of Thrones book in a couple of weeks). I started by getting the CDs from the library, then on to downloading them from the library.

About 5 years ago I changed jobs and had a 15 minute daily commute to work and stopped with audiobooks. Then about 2 and a half years ago I went back to commuting again (2+ hours/day), so I'm back on the bandwagon.

I never thought I could do it, but I had no trouble at all while going to and from work. Same route everyday, so I could easily do it. It's not so easy if I'm going someplace I'm unsure of.

I have a little trouble on a plane. I tend to doze off... but while doing chores around the house or at the gym or while walking for exercise, no trouble at all.

I did have an Audible account in 2018. I was able to get some books that were unavailable at the 2 Library systems I use. It's expensive.... Library is free.
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

Quote Originally Posted by Moribund View Post
    All great suggestions. I started "reading" audiobooks several years ago when I had a 4 hour daily commute (driving) for work. I could go through 2 regular books a week or an epic book (like a Game of Thrones book in a couple of weeks). I started by getting the CDs from the library, then on to downloading them from the library.

About 5 years ago I changed jobs and had a 15 minute daily commute to work and stopped with audiobooks. Then about 2 and a half years ago I went back to commuting again (2+ hours/day), so I'm back on the bandwagon.

I never thought I could do it, but I had no trouble at all while going to and from work. Same route everyday, so I could easily do it. It's not so easy if I'm going someplace I'm unsure of.

I have a little trouble on a plane. I tend to doze off... but while doing chores around the house or at the gym or while walking for exercise, no trouble at all.

I did have an Audible account in 2018. I was able to get some books that were unavailable at the 2 Library systems I use. It's expensive.... Library is free.
    By the way... it's great for me. I can't read a book. It puts me to sleep. Audiobooks are the way to go for me.
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

I use audio books when I'm on a long drive, such as from Boston to ProgDay, or when I take long walks. One I enjoyed immensely was Who I Am by Pete Townshend, read by the man himself. Most enjoyable as he put his emotions into the reading. He'd even laugh at the funny parts.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.