Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Canterbury Binge MMXX

Canterbury Binge MMXX

I'm starting the thread this year at chalkpie's suggestion, because he's a bit on the busy side at the moment and we don't want to let the tradition die!

2020 has already proven a heavy Canterbury time for me, and it's only the morning of January 3rd. Last fall, I finally picked up Hatfield's Hattitude and Egg's The Metronomical Society, and both have received numerous plays since, including New Year's day. At the wife's choosing, we also spun a classic that morning, In The Land Of Grey And Pink (how fun that she not only requests that album, but knows every word of it!) and now I have pulled two Gilgamesh, two Softs, two Gongs and Joy Of A Toy from the shelf for spinning this weekend, and making early preparations on starting a massive Canterbury playlist.

It's that time of year! Shame there's no snow on the ground here, that's always been a big part of the vibe for me. But I'm in that place, and it's time to start seeking out some more titles to add to the collection.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I don't remember if I posted it in these Canterbury threads or in a email to Aymeric but in the last couple of years, I've really, REALLY grown to appreciate "Another Fine Tune"
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Another Fine Tune is great! Big improvement compared to debut (which is not half bad either).
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I love both albums. It did take me longer to appreciate Another Fine Tune..., but it's perhaps a more rewarding listen these days for my ears. Lighter overall, but with some lovely themes and of course the playing is top notch.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    Suggestion. After listening to the wonderful and melodic Another Fine Tune why not next spin Two Rainbows Daily which has a somewhat similar vibe with Alan's mellifluous and fluid keyboard lines and Hugh Hopper's iconic bass sound including fuzzy wuzzy fun?

I am arranging "a jazz-rock party" (yeah really!) for my friends. Which Canterbury songs you think fit best to that description? Recommendations welcomed!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Banned
    ^^^ How 'bout this one? Fits the bill if you're looking for something to kick some serious party ass!

Featuring the ultimate Dave Stewart organ workout!

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    ^^^ How 'bout this one? Fits the bill if you're looking for something to kick some serious party ass!

Featuring the ultimate Dave Stewart organ workout!
    I had been thinking "Squarer For Maud" from Of Queues and Cures but that could be cool choice also!

Played National Health a lot in December, including this gem:

_-wYlFUxGPI

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I am arranging "a jazz-rock party" (yeah really!) for my friends.
    Wow, I wish someone would do that around here!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Wow, I wish someone would do that around here!
    A Party with no Girls and only elder B.B.B. type guys, sounds like fun

Mumps is the quintessence !

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I'm sure my wife would appreciate me avoiding parties with girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'm starting the thread this year at chalkpie's suggestion, because he's a bit on the busy side at the moment and we don't want to let the tradition die!
    ]
    Cheers mate - much appreciated! Quick question: Am I hearing Hatfield on "Any Advance on Carpet" from Caravan World is Yours Anthology or I am knutts? What era is this tune from?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post

What the heck is "B.B.B type guy"? And we are not that old... One girl was coming but she had to cancel...

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Suggestion. After listening to the wonderful and melodic Another Fine Tune why not next spin Two Rainbows Daily which has a somewhat similar vibe with Alan's mellifluous and fluid keyboard lines and Hugh Hopper's iconic bass sound including fuzzy wuzzy fun?
    And after that:

Chalkpie : Any Advance on Carpet contains Bossa Nochance and Big Jobs from the 1st Hatfield.

The session dates from April 1972.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Cheers mate - much appreciated! Quick question: Am I hearing Hatfield on "Any Advance on Carpet" from Caravan World is Yours Anthology or I am knutts? What era is this tune from?
    Ahhh man, I need that set!

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    What the heck is "B.B.B type guy"? And we are not that old... One girl was coming but she had to cancel...
    B.B.B. := Bald, Bearded, Belly kind of guys.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    And after that:

Ya know what? I will!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Just re-visited the wonderful "Before A Word Is Said" album.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I don't remember if I posted it in these Canterbury threads or in a email to Aymeric but in the last couple of years, I've really, REALLY grown to appreciate "Another Fine Tune"
    +1
    Right now, I'm playing their first one and later will be "Arriving Twice" ... great music!.

Good call!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Chalkpie : Any Advance on Carpet contains Bossa Nochance and Big Jobs from the 1st Hatfield.

The session dates from April 1972.
    Thanks. This is absolute top shelf Caravan and I love the sound of this track - gorgeous recording.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

My new year started not with listening to something Canterbury, but reading something about it - I'm half way through Jonathan Coe's 'Middle England', and there on page 216 is his Hatfield and the North reference - you may recall one of his earlier books was called 'The Rotter's Club':
    hatfield.jpg
    Last edited by alanterrill; 01-04-2020 at 12:14 PM.

Reading a blog about Jonathan Coe, I came across a mention of the German band Argos, who were Canterbury fans -this is made quite explicit in the video here: