Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Canterbury Binge MMXX

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Do you have the first three studio albums?
    I have If I Could, & Grey & Pink, Frank.

What a beautiful punning stun that is! (and a record too)

So, I finally took delivery of the cd of Caravan's debut album - & it's quickly become my favourite record by the band. I really like the psychedelic vibe, the wobbly bass, the swirling organs, the booming echo. The songs are great, but it's really Dave Sinclair's organ work that hits the sweet spot for me. Plus, it's not yet infected by the cloying whimsy that would come to blight subsequent releases (the bonus version of Hello, Hello being an unwelcome, jolting, reminder of this at the end of the cd).

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Plus, it's not yet infected by the cloying whimsy that would come to blight subsequent releases
    Sacrilege.

Glad you like the CD though.

I was listening to the first disc of Caravan's BBC sessions last week. It's great, though not complete- it's more of a 'best of'. There's also the issue of the stereo mix of 'Nine Feet Underground' being edited down (mainly the last part, I think). I am guessing that this was the source for these two tracks:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Pick...elease/7816845

Discrepancies like this happened quite a bit with stereo versions of BBC recordings on these transcription discs. But they are often the only remaining high-quality source for these recordings.
    Last edited by JJ88; 1 Week Ago at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Sacrilege.

Glad you like the CD though.

Sorry, that was unnecessarily trollish (although it is how I roll with the music on these subsequent records)

Sorry, that was unnecessarily trollish (although it is how I roll with the music on these subsequent records)
    I was kidding around too. It's all good, brother.

So, I finally took delivery of the cd of Caravan's debut album - & it's quickly become my favourite record by the band.

I have owned the Caravan debut for 35 years, luckily finding it in a used shop for $7. The Verve US pressing. I have really warmed to it over the years. When I first got it I was thrilled to have found it. I had never seen a copy previously. But for many years I thought it was a "baby steps" album with much better things to come.

Not anymore. It stands on its own as a fully realized work. Silly, goofy, daft at times. But that's a part of the fun. And in "Where but for..." I hear a very early blueprint for a prog epic. Not in the sense of fragments stuck together (e.g. Abbey Road, I Held Twas in I) but rather a coherent extended piece with instrumental sections that strictly complement and reinforce the main vocal themes. Great listening and quite original for '68.

It's not a popular opinion on here but in terms of material, I like the Caravan debut as much as the two which followed. One of the best debut albums by a 'progressive' group IMHO.

Caravan's debut doesn't really float my boat. For me, things start off from their 2nd album on.