Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Canterbury Binge MMXX

Yes, Argos certainly has a Canterbury-vibe at times. This one is from the strong Cruel Symmetry.

25 years passed and I am realising for the first time today that Caravan's Auberge de Sanglier medley uses Soft Machine's Backwards from vol II. And I know both tunes by heart! That's what funny, gigantic song titles do to you.

It is a magnificent incorporation. The whole For Girls..album is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    25 years passed and I am realising for the first time today that Caravan's Auberge de Sanglier medley uses Soft Machine's Backwards from vol II. And I know both tunes by heart! That's what funny, gigantic song titles do to you.

It is a magnificent incorporation. The whole For Girls..album is excellent.
    One of my fav Canterbury moments, but I do prefer the live version (Fairfield Halls) over the studio, but truly love all versions by both bands
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Fairfield Halls is one of my all time favourite releases. Fantastic.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yeah its amazing - I wish there was another release of this quality with Richard singing from a few years prior. The closest to something like that for me is the Show of Our Lives BBC set, which is essential as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Yeah its amazing - I wish there was another release of this quality with Richard singing from a few years prior. The closest to something like that for me is the Show of Our Lives BBC set, which is essential as well.
    Another great one. I've got them both pulled off the shelf for the upcoming week!

Another great one. I've got them both pulled off the shelf for the upcoming week!
    Yeah man - honestly when I'm doing this binge once a year stuff like this is just the best and flat out some of my fav music. I love Caravan in their prime - their music is the heart and soul of Canterbury imo. And Hatfield

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I don't remember if I posted it in these Canterbury threads or in a email to Aymeric but in the last couple of years, I've really, REALLY grown to appreciate "Another Fine Tune"
    Gonna hit this one again this week - thx for the reminder.

EDIT: Listening to track 2 "Bobberty-Theme From Something Else". Wow - I forgot how great that track is! Just lovely in virtually every aspect, especially the Rhodes playing/harmonic changes. Awesomeness.
    Last edited by chalkpie; 01-05-2020 at 05:22 PM.

Mantler - The Happless Child

Or is it Canterbury... definetely not whimsical

The Caravan album I bought first and have listened to the most, although I prefer If I could and Grey and Pink these days.

I prefer these versions to the Plump in the Night versions. Do I prefer Wedgewood's background vox to John G Perry's? Yes, but I doubt background vocals alone would cause me to swing from one album to the other as much as I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post

Or is it Canterbury... definetely not whimsical
    Edward Gorey is extremely whimsical.

Dark whimsical, but whimsical nonetheless!!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Argh! I still haven't listened to any Canterbury. Better late than never, I suppose. Think I'll break out some Matching Mole (the first album) in memory of Jan 2017 when I first heard it.

Edit: Also queued up some Gilgamesh (Another Fine Tune...) after MM. This is a really good one.
    Last edited by aith01; 01-06-2020 at 04:21 AM.

I am in the dark for both records, so there's some listening to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Just re-visited the wonderful "Before A Word Is Said" album.
    I played the entire thing over drinks on New Year's eve. It's such a forceful yet wholly melancholy affair, somehow signalling the very end of the -original- phase of the Canterbury sound. "Umbrellas" is an incredibly contemplative tune, capturing the essence of the particular atmosphere associated with the scene - whereas stuff like "Reflexes in the Margin" represent the hard-hitting approach. Alan Gowen passed away mere weeks after recording ended, of course. What an amazing final statement!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Adore this unreleased tune

Or is it Canterbury...
    It is. And it's not only the Wyatt feature but the fact that someone found him totally fitting Mantler's given compositions for a certain and precise reason. The Music was written to enliven the anguish of those lyrics, and so comes Wyatt into play. Canterbury at its most surreal and darkly hunourous.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    It is. And it's not only the Wyatt feature but the fact that someone found him totally fitting Mantler's given compositions for a certain and precise reason. The Music was written to enliven the anguish of those lyrics, and so comes Wyatt into play. Canterbury at its most surreal and darkly hunourous.
    Its a magic album. If any album was a masterpiece this is. Unfortunately OOP and unavailable as CD (unless you want to pay 45 euro)
    "Someone" should remaster and reissue it (if the tapes exist) .

Steve: I didn't know whimsical could be dark & gloomy too, but why not

Clive Brooks' drum tone on The Polite Force might be one of my fav ever. Listen to to how good that kit sounds.

I didn't know whimsical could be dark & gloomy too, but why not
    Ed Gorey's lyrics are dark/gloomy in the same sense that Withnail and I or some of Polanski's thrillers are; i.e. deeply rooted in the blackest psychology of existentialist gallow's comedy imaginable. I rewatched both Rosemary's Baby and The Tenant during the holidays, and they're eerie yet absolutely hilarious, in combined as opposed to separate portions - just like Gorey's texts. Grotesque, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I played the entire thing over drinks on New Year's eve. It's such a forceful yet wholly melancholy affair, somehow signalling the very end of the -original- phase of the Canterbury sound. "Umbrellas" is an incredibly contemplative tune, capturing the essence of the particular atmosphere associated with the scene - whereas stuff like "Reflexes in the Margin" represent the hard-hitting approach. Alan Gowen passed away mere weeks after recording ended, of course. What an amazing final statement!
    Wow... I'd completely forgotten about this one. Still haven't heard it either, so I need to rectify that.

Thank you guys for the reminder.

Clive Brooks' drum tone on The Polite Force might be one of my fav ever. Listen to to how good that kit sounds.
    Clive is the man, no doubt about it. And exactly because he is basically a rock'n'roll drummer expanding the boundaries of rock drumming, than a super sophisticated drum wizard trying the rock idiom.

Of course the trio format gave him a lot of space for his talent to flourish.

... the Show of Our Lives BBC set, which is essential as well.
    I confirm - it is a beautiful collection of beloved songs played with vigor and youthful energy. Even errors add to its power. 25 years of listening to this band has left my love for it completely unscathed - there are very few examples in the prog spectrum that I could say the same about.

I believe Pye Hastings is a seriously underrated figure in the Canterbury tale. He's an astounding songwriter, and his voice evokes some of the most characteristic Canterbury moments for me. He's not a guitar virtuoso, but sometimes we tend to forget that Canterbury wasn't just about chops and complex compositions but also about great songwriting and sheer emotion. And in this context he is really one of the greats for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I confirm - it is a beautiful collection of beloved songs played with vigor and youthful energy. Even errors add to its power. 25 years of listening to this band has left my love for it completely unscathed - there are very few examples in the prog spectrum that I could say the same about.

I believe Pye Hastings is a seriously underrated figure in the Canterbury tale. He's an astounding songwriter, and his voice evokes some of the most characteristic Canterbury moments for me. He's not a guitar virtuoso, but sometimes we tend to forget that Canterbury wasn't just about chops and complex compositions but also about great songwriting and sheer emotion. And in this context he is really one of the greats for me.
    Right on brother.

Khan Space Shanty....
    Lots of killer bass on this.

The Khan album is a massive classic.

I've just put on National Health's Of Queues And Cures, the evening is off to a good start!