Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avant Symphonic Jazz Rock that will BLOW YOUR MIND

Avant Symphonic Jazz Rock that will BLOW YOUR MIND

this needed its own thread

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Kenta Shimakawa - "Glimpse" (2019). I really like it:

Bandcamp page here. Contains lots of information about the musicians behind the album and also the making of it.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

It didn't blow my mind. It's a bit too Magma for my tastes, with unison vocals and tubby thumpy bass. This is, admittedly, a taste thing. "Ambivalence" at the 30:20 mark has Cookie Monster vocals. Not a fan.

This has been on my list for a while, but I still haven't given it a listen. Thanks for the reminder!

The mentions of Magma and zeuhl definitely caught my attention.

The credits are a little hard to figure out. I wonder whether he recorded these people all over the world (or maybe remotely over the Net), or if they were all friends of his from music school.

On All Tracks:
    • Kenta Shimakawa (Guitars, compositions, production, recording)
    • Louisa Rosi (Voice)
    • Baptiste Horcholle (Soprano and Tenor Saxophones)
    • Guy Moskovich (Piano)
    • Yoni Livnat (Bass)

TRACKS:

1. Sunrise

2. Glimpse:
      • Kana Miyamoto (Flute)
      • Sandy Winarta (Drums)

3. Oiseau +
    4. Oiseau (reprise):
      • Jack Kwan (Violin)
      • Liam Zahm (Drums)

5. Dunuyeah, Part 1 +
    6. Dunuyeah, Part 2:
      • Arta Jēkabsone (Voice)
      • Joris Mallia (Tenor Saxophone Solo)
      • Yosuke Nagayama (Drums)
      • Chris Garriga (Drum Solo)

7. Ambivalence:
      • Kyle Schaefer (Screams)
      • Joris Mallia (Alto Saxophone)
      • Michael Larocca (Drums)

The 'Horn Section'
    • Kaelen Ghandhi (Bass Clarinet, Tenor and Soprano Saxophone)
    • Sunhyun Yoo (Alto Saxophone)
    • Billy Duffy (Trombone)
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 01-02-2020 at 07:20 PM.

I didn't hear any Magma, but it reminded me a lot of Tigran Hamasyans most electric album - Red Hail (2008)
    Same rythm patterns, chords, lines, vocals and furious energy

Examples

Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 01-03-2020 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    "Ambivalence" at the 30:20 mark has Cookie Monster vocals. Not a fan.
    sadly, the cookie monster arrives in track 7 to chew the experience

other than that, this is a fantastic album
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    It's a bit too Magma for my tastes
    as for the Magma reference, I am not a big Magma fan... way too repetitive for my taste.
    There are no long repetitive sections in this music at all, so I do not hear any Magma in this

Hmmm. I kept waiting for avant, or my mind blowing.
    Didn't happen.
    There was plenty going on, no doubt about that.
    Much dynamic range. Smooth to rough and back again.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    We just approved his addition on PA in Zeuhl, more of the fusion end of the zeuhl pool than the avant end. Nice album, good stuff.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Didn't sample the whole thing, but I actually quite like it. I'm not hearing much Magma at all, and the CMV isn't long enough to turn me off. Some very cool stuff here, new twists on familiar ideas. I think I'm going to order the CD.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I didn't hear any Magma, but it reminded me a lot of Tigran Hamasyans most electric album - Red Hail
    Same chords, lines, vocals and furious energy
    Wow, this stuff is also killer!

Bill

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Hmmm. I kept waiting for avant, or my mind blowing.
    Didn't happen.
    Yeah. I guess its a bit avanty in the vocals occasionally, but they remind me of canterburian vocals as well. Not really getting a zeuhl/Magma vibe here either.

Despite it being totally oversold in the thread name, I did like it.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Despite it being totally oversold in the thread name, I did like it.
    hey... no one woulda opened the thread if not for the sales pitch!

I'm sure it's been done before, but this is the first time I've heard fusion mixed with wall-of-sound "metal". Liked some of the Canterbury-ish vocal stuff, but I already have plenty of that in my collection. Good musicians.

I'm impressed that the composer & guitarist apparently is only 18 years old. https://blogs.newschool.edu/news/201...album-glimpse/
    So the Tigran Hamaysan album I mentioned earlier was released when he was 10 !
    I wonder how this music, produced in the studio, would work live - normally it requires long musical experience to make complicated stuff as this flow naturally live. How will he sound in 10 years - this is very eclectic.

I still cant hear anything zeuhlish about it - I guess its the 'armenian folksong vocal' that makes people tink of zeuhl?

It's nowhere near as mind blowing as that echolyn album several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    hey... no one woulda opened the thread if not for the sales pitch!
    Fact.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    You just have to include the word "avant" in the title for me to open it
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I like this album a lot, despite some parts (the brutal doom metal bits) that leave me somewhat unimpressed. Luckily, the band quickly segues out of them into more interesting stuff. Overall, the music has the perfect mix of jazz, fusion, and avant-garde while I find the vocals to be exceptional. I can see why some hear a Magma connection. It's not too strong, but it's there. The album also reminds me of the Canadian avant-garde band UnexpecT and maybe a little bit of the Diablo Swing Orchestra (for the zaniness). It's probably the metal parts that are to blame.

I'm hearing Canterbury more than Zeuhl. Whatever, I like it.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I'm impressed that the composer & guitarist apparently is only 18 years old. https://blogs.newschool.edu/news/201...album-glimpse/
    I think that the article suggests Kenta was a student at the School of Jazz and Contemporary Music, a graduate of the Jazz program, class of 2018. I don't know whether he's 18 or not, but he is young nonetheless. As it is mentioned in the article:

“Two of the main musicians who contributed to the record are from a previous project I started at The New School called “TinderGodz,” says Shimakawa. “The members helped me develop my musical concept so it was a no-brainer to ask them to work on this project. The New School community is relatively small so you always hear about potential collaborators from word of mouth, playing together, or even just hearing them practice from the halls.”

Kenta notes that two of the pieces were composed thanks to courses he took in composing and arranging while a student, and highlights the environment at Jazz as a major factor in creating the album.

So far, so good, although I'm usually not a fan of those jerky quantized rhythm patterns
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

The beginning was rather sleepy, and I was wondering "What is so 'mindblowing' about this?"... but then it picked up nicely. About half way through, I was fully aboard! -- I even went to Bandcamp and put it on my wish list -- until the cookie monster vocals ruined it for me. Why do something so incongruous? It was as out-of-place as dumping in some chip-tune synth solos. Completely out of place. Now I have to remove it from my wish list. Note to self: Avant =Incongruous.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    The beginning was rather sleepy, and I was wondering "What is so 'mindblowing' about this?"... but then it picked up nicely. About half way through, I was fully aboard! -- I even went to Bandcamp and put it on my wish list -- until the cookie monster vocals ruined it for me. Why do something so incongruous? It was as out-of-place as dumping in some chip-tune synth solos. Completely out of place. Now I have to remove it from my wish list. Note to self: Avant =Incongruous.
    The article Zeuhlmate linked above indicates that metal is one of the genres that Kenta likes a lot and he wanted to incorporate some passages in his album. Luckily for those that do not dig that kind of music too much, these passages are not very long.

it's really only the last track that has the Cookster on it... and then only the first half of the track.

The first 6 pieces were good enough that I never need to play track 7 and still feel fulfilled after playing the album