Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Avant Symphonic Jazz Rock that will BLOW YOUR MIND

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    It didn't blow my mind. It's a bit too Magma for my tastes, with unison vocals and tubby thumpy bass. This is, admittedly, a taste thing. "Ambivalence" at the 30:20 mark has Cookie Monster vocals. Not a fan.
    Yeah, there is Zeuhl i n there , but it's more avant, IMHO and the last track is almost metallic Math Rock

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    We just approved his addition on PA in Zeuhl, more of the fusion end of the zeuhl pool than the avant end. Nice album, good stuff.
    I would've inserted it more in the ART part of ZART (but that's moi)... many places reminded me of the current French Avant scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I didn't hear any Magma, but it reminded me a lot of Tigran Hamasyans most electric album - Red Hail (2008)
    Same rythm patterns, chords, lines, vocals and furious energy
    Wow, this stuff is also killer!
    Early Tigran Hamasyan is much more interesting than recent stuff. I kind of stopped with Mockroot, as what he's done since hasn't turned me on.
    And yes, there was often more than a Magma/zeuhl hint in his earlier music .

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    it's really only the last track that has the Cookster on it... and then only the first half of the track.

The first 6 pieces were good enough that I never need to play track 7 and still feel fulfilled after playing the album
    yup, it wasn't a good idea to include it on the album, IMHO
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I didn't hear any Magma, but it reminded me a lot of Tigran Hamasyans most electric album - Red Hail (2008)
    Same rythm patterns, chords, lines, vocals and furious energy

Examples

Wow. I really like this!!

Too bad it's utterly unavailable for purchase anywhere on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    I like this album a lot, despite some parts (the brutal doom metal bits) that leave me somewhat unimpressed. Luckily, the band quickly segues out of them into more interesting stuff. Overall, the music has the perfect mix of jazz, fusion, and avant-garde while I find the vocals to be exceptional. I can see why some hear a Magma connection. It's not too strong, but it's there. The album also reminds me of the Canadian avant-garde band UnexpecT and maybe a little bit of the Diablo Swing Orchestra (for the zaniness). It's probably the metal parts that are to blame.
    Wow. Sounds right up my alley. I love UnexpecT. Fortunately for me, unlike many on here, I have no issue with growling vocals when done well, so this doesn't 'spoil' anything for me, at all. This has definitely gone to the top of my to listen to pile.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post

Well, the whole album is on youtube, and if there is no place to purchase it legitimately, you can certainly download the audio and add the album to your listening device/platform of choice without guilt.

neil
    Last edited by boilk; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:56 AM.

I bought one on Amazon for about $30 after sampling it here. The only copy still available there is going for $1,354.99, LOL!

Bill

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    You got a bargain then!
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    You got a bargain then!
    I'd say, LOL!

This is good. I don't hear any Magma at all here. This is jazz from today's New York jazz scene (with Hamasyan influences) mixed with some djent. Other bands in the jazz scene do this stuff, like GEM (with pianist Eldar Djangirov and Animals as leaders' drummer Matt Garska) :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt8LO0boWT8

The hating this got for 2 minutes of heavy vocals on one track really shows how close minded some "progressive music" listeners really are. Poor fragile things.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post

The hating this got for 2 minutes of heavy vocals on one track really shows how close minded some "progressive music" listeners really are. Poor fragile things.
    I agree with this sentiment. Although I do understand, if people are so opposed to something, it can prevent them from enjoying a release.

neil

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    If you can deal with a download:
    https://www.iomoio.com/artist/133099...3download.html

The hating this got for 2 minutes of heavy vocals on one track really shows how close minded some "progressive music" listeners really are.
    De gustibus non est disputandum.

Not only that, but disgustibus non deputandem.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    This is good. I don't hear any Magma at all here. This is jazz from today's New York jazz scene (with Hamasyan influences) mixed with some djent. Other bands in the jazz scene do this stuff, like GEM (with pianist Eldar Djangirov and Animals as leaders' drummer Matt Garska) :

LOL at disliking something about music makes you close minded.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    hey... no one woulda opened the thread if not for the sales pitch!
    Haha, that's probably true. I'm in the nogbag camp of 'avant symphonic jazz' would have been good enough for me, but I understand that may not be the case the majority/most.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    LOL at disliking something about music makes you close minded.
    It's called Inoculation. That way those who don't find it off putting won't have any disagreement presented.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    De gustibus non est disputandum.
    I think what he meant was that only 2 minutes of growls and screams should not bare so much influence on whether you like the album that otherwise contains 40+ more minutes of outstanding material.

I think what he meant was that only 2 minutes of growls and screams should not bare so much influence on whether you like the album that otherwise contains 40+ more minutes of outstanding material.
    It wasn't just the CMV I couldn't "bare"... I also found the rest of it kinda turgid. But hey that's just me, I don't mind if everybody else loves it.

I couldn't access it, and didn't go to YouTube to look for it. I did check out the reportedly similar Tigran videos posted, and they didn't do much for me. Oh well.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

GEM (with pianist Eldar Djangirov and Animals as leaders' drummer Matt Garska) :
    is that Math Rock? It seemed very numerical, like every note was written out
    and since I have no idea what this thing called Math Rock is, that's about what I would envision
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

is that Math Rock? It seemed very numerical, like every note was written out
    and since I have no idea what this thing called Math Rock is, that's about what I would envision
    Reminds me of an updated version of early ELP, but with even more(!) technique. You can tell when the keyboardist is soloing; it's when what he's playing changes from Bartok to identifiable jazz piano, as at 2:12; later on there's a synth lead at 4:19. What I wonder is how he's producing that occasional organ/synth unison to his piano parts, which you first hear at about 0:41. Is it an effect, or does the piano have MIDI capability and he's adding a synth module?

Fine album even though I don't hear any Magma in this.
    The Tigran Hamasyans comparison sounds much closer, modern electric Jazz that mixes both World music and Math Rock / Djent Metal. Also reminds me a bit of Kurt Rosenwinkel's recent Caipi Band release, and the releases by the Brazilian multi player Antonio Loureiro's "Livre" album a bit (though Loureiro sounds less heavier and more Brazilian / World music inspired, somewhat like a math rock inspired Pat Metheny)
    Last edited by nnknsh; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:37 AM.

This.
    The fact that a lot of you are making it about tastes is a blatant display of intellectual dishonesty (and let's not talk about the "Inoculation" nonsense), and I don't want to say anything more about this.
    Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:49 AM.

Oh, this sounds quite impressive. Have they done a proper album, or is this the only tune they have done yet ?

They have recorded three songs for MEINL Cymbals youtube channel. There isn't any album yet, but my guess is that there will be one in 2020.

They have recorded three songs for MEINL Cymbals youtube channel. There isn't any album yet, but my guess is that there will be one in 2020.
    Cool. Look forward for that !