Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2020

MLB 2020

New year, new thread.

43 days until pitchers and catchers report.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The Twins promised acquisition of an impact pitcher has faded...just like every other fucking year.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The Twins promised acquisition of an impact pitcher has faded...just like every other fucking year.
    Are there any left? The signings have been fast and furious.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Are there any left? The signings have been fast and furious.
    Free agents are gone, now it's just those that are available for trade. David Price is the name most mentioned and how much impact is he capable of at this point?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Yeah, but they might wind up with Donaldson.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Free agents are gone, now it's just those that are available for trade. David Price is the name most mentioned and how much impact is he capable of at this point?
    He doesn't seem to handle the spotlight very well. Sure, he redeemed himself in the WS, but that seems more like an aberration to me. Of course, I'm biased.

He might do well in a smaller market. But, the Bosox would have to eat a lot of his salary.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Yeah, but they might wind up with Donaldson.
    There's reporting that they offered him a four-year contract. Personally, I think that's too long. He had a good year, but that's a risky investment. But, maybe they really want him and other teams only offered three years.

While they may not set the world alight Rich Hill and Homer Bailey aren't bad pickups.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

There's reporting that they offered him a four-year contract. Personally, I think that's too long. He had a good year, but that's a risky investment. But, maybe they really want him and other teams only offered three years.
    It’ll be four. Expect Donaldson to give the Braves a final offer chance. The word is he wants to stay in Atlanta, and Atlanta might be betting that the final year on that contract can be spent splitting time at DH.

The Braves have a window. They need to be aggressive while that window is open. If they don’t get Donaldson back, they’re going to have to go after a bat via trade. If the rumors hold any weight, that could mean bringing Arenado to Atlanta, and that is certainly appealing to this Braves fan.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

RIP Don Larsen at 90.

I saw him pitch in Yankee Stadium ... at Old Timers' Day.

Astros should be stripped of their 2017 title! CHEATERS!

MLB didn't pull any punches. Goodell would have dragged this out for months and then blown it.

Yet, these jackasses are suspended for a year but Pete Rose is banned...

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Yet, these jackasses are suspended for a year but Pete Rose is banned...
    As much as I never liked Pete Rose, I respect his accomplishments. And, it certainly doesn't seem fair. But, he did break the Cardinal Rule of the game and did so knowingly. He asked for it. And he didn't help his case by being such a buffoon about it in the aftermath.

It would be nice to see the Astros' title stripped, but I don't see that happening. Maybe an asterisk, though.

Next in line, the Boston Red Sox.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Cora's replacement (assuming he gets suspended and then possibly whacked)?

Pedroia
    Varitek
    Papi
    MANNY

I predict that, if he gets suspended, he won't get whacked.

I saw on Twitter someone suggesting that the Dodgers should stage a victory parade.

I saw on Twitter someone suggesting that the Dodgers should stage a victory parade.
    That would be classic! The outpouring of 'love' for Yu Darvish is a bit thick. Nice to see many publicly apologize to him for hanging him up to dry.

We should revisit the PE thread and see what our replies were during the '17 series.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    It’ll be four. Expect Donaldson to give the Braves a final offer chance. The word is he wants to stay in Atlanta, and Atlanta might be betting that the final year on that contract can be spent splitting time at DH.
    You expect the NL to adopt the DH? I fervently hope not.

I predict that, if he gets suspended, he won't get whacked.
    First, can people temper their langauge? - whacked used as a verb can mean murdered.

Second, FSG are, in some ways, an odd organisation. For the most part, they conduct themselves well, both in respect of building clubs that are successful, but also in doing things "the right way" (the development of Anfield, the engagement of local communities, the investment in youth - all suggest a decent ethos). But then, some of their behaviour is way off key (how they dealt with Francona, for instance). I really rated Cora, for any number of reasons - but given the content of the report, there's no way he has a place in the future of the Red Sox. He has serially connived with - & possibly even instituted - activities that are outlawed by the game, & he has clearly done so knowingly. I hope FSG behave with honour & dignity in all of this, & do the right thing.

At the same time, a lot of responsibility now falls on Bloom to sort out the culture in the organisation. It's clear that the Astros had become a corrupt, win at any costs, organisation. There's a real opportunity for the Red Sox to recalibrate, & commit to doing things the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    First, can people temper their langauge? - whacked used as a verb can mean murdered.
    Oh, FFS. It can also mean getting fired.

Oh, FFS. It can also mean getting fired.
    I've never encountered that use of the verb. I just checked Webster online, & it offered as meanings either to hit, or to murder.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    I've never encountered that use of the verb. I just checked Webster online, & it offered as meanings either to hit, or to murder.
    Well, first of all, I was responding to another post using their word. Secondly, it's consider slang.