Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Twins were pretty open that Graterol is not a starter...yet. He's got to work up to that amount of innings. The kid is only 21 and has never pitched that amount of innings.
    The Red Sox may well have accepted that narrative on face value. The issue seems to be when they saw his medicals, it appears their assessment of him having starter potential diminished and thus his value to them decreased. This is not an uncommon occurrence, the fact that this is a high-profile, multi-team deal is the only thing really making this notable.

The whole "cold feet" thing is pure speculation. The team knew it was going to take some knocks from the pink hats on trading dearly beloved Mookie. The deal made sense to the Sox, until it didn't. That's how it goes.

Bill

I don’t buy the cold feet thing either. This was a move the Sox had to make. I am a little surprised that they are allowing the Graterol thing to hold up the trade (unless injury was concern), but odds are they will get it figured out.

From where I sit, there is nothing stopping the Red Sox from bidding on Betts in FA 9 months from now if they want. That kind of bunks the idea unless the Mookie thinks they did him dirty. Maybe they are talking about that possibility in Boston.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Looks like the deal is done, but differently. LA is picking up half of Price's salary. Graterol will now go to the Dodgers in a separate deal.

No love lost here. Betts went from my most-hated team to my second-most-hated team.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

No surprise at all that the deal is done. Downs is more interesting to me than Graterol as the Sox need a 2nd baseman, but who knows if they'll keep him or flip him. Whatever on Wong, we'll see.

Sox got largely what they wanted, so I'm basically happy. Some will say we didn't get value on Mookie, but I don't think Mookie is worth what he is looking for and I'm happy the Sox didn't lock up that much salary in his contract. I'd be shocked to see them go after him in free agency, but if they shed other salary before then, who knows? I'm excited to see how Bloom will transform the organization, and am willing to give it time to come to fruition.

Bill

Sometime, a few years from now, you'll have to hear a YES network announcer say "And Jeter throws out Judge at 1st."

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    No surprise at all that the deal is done. Downs is more interesting to me than Graterol as the Sox need a 2nd baseman, but who knows if they'll keep him or flip him. Whatever on Wong, we'll see.

Sox got largely what they wanted, so I'm basically happy. Some will say we didn't get value on Mookie, but I don't think Mookie is worth what he is looking for and I'm happy the Sox didn't lock up that much salary in his contract. I'd be shocked to see them go after him in free agency, but if they shed other salary before then, who knows? I'm excited to see how Bloom will transform the organization, and am willing to give it time to come to fruition.
    Agreed. Only a fool believes their team can win the WS every year. This is a year of reflection and damage control if there ever was one. The proved last year that "holding pat" with their financially locked team didn't work. The Yanks, Rays, and even the emerging Jays are all likely to have winning records. The Twins are on the rise, Indians still competitive, and White Sox rising. And you have the As being As, the Astros still pretty strong, and the Angels stronger. The absolute best case scenario for the Sox is a WC playoff game.

So this a good step to reset the team and attempt to put them in a healthier space in 2 years or so.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'm not really supportive in 2020 with players not getting some sort of fine and/or suspension for these transgressions. I understand it would be difficult to parse which players are more responsible than others, but there's something unsettling about the players involved getting off on "I did what I was told" or "I thought it was normal" or "everyone does it".

And while I know it's on an individual basis, they can suspend someone for 80 games for a "banned substance" (attempting to gain advantage), but not for this. It sets a bad precedent, but also...without investigation...creates suspicions of most/all players involved when many may not have been.

Anyway, it is what it is I guess.

Supposedly MLB is looking to tinker with the playoffs, potentially adding 4 more teams to the mix. I wonder how this will go over...

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Supposedly MLB is looking to tinker with the playoffs, potentially adding 4 more teams to the mix. I wonder how this will go over...
    Two in each league, I assume. Might work, but I think they would have to make it a 156 game season.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Make the regular season more meaningless? Why don't they take a look a basketball
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

So how will that play out? Will the second-place teams play an elimination round while the first place teams get cold as they sit on their hands waiting?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Make the regular season more meaningless? Why don't they take a look a basketball
    Or hockey.

How about some excitement?

2020 Spring Training Presented By Camping World has officially begun!!

Yay.

Yay.
    Now we're talkin'.

It will be curious to see how well or poorly that the Astros perform this season. Because it's stayed in the news and may continue to, I somewhat anticipate some pretty hostile crowds on the road all season long. I think under normal circumstances, you'll hear players say they "feed of it", but that's usually the typical jackass in the stands making stupid comments. This is shaming.

It will be curious to see how well or poorly that the Astros perform this season. Because it's stayed in the news and may continue to, I somewhat anticipate some pretty hostile crowds on the road all season long. I think under normal circumstances, you'll hear players say they "feed of it", but that's usually the typical jackass in the stands making stupid comments. This is shaming.
    as I posted previously...

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    This is going to be the joke of the league for years to come. Any win from the Astros will be met with smirks and ridicule against them. I look forward to all Houston away games to include heavy booing and chants of "CHEATERS! CHEATERS!" from those home teams.

I fully expect a warm welcome to the Bronx.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I fully expect a warm welcome to the Bronx.
    Birds of a feather.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Birds of a feather.

I think they're sorry they got caught.

https://www.mlb.com/video/astros-on-...ealing-buzzers

I think everyone should boycott baseball until they put Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

The Astros are totally blowing the PR aspect of this. It should be a clinic on what not to do for those aspiring to a career in Marketing or Public Relations. The presser with Altuve, Bregman, Dusty, and the owner was an awkward disaster.